VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i just got a pair of staggard 18" for my B5 glx v6 and im looking for tires. my rear are 18x8 and fronts are 18x7 i found a set of 255/45's and the front tire couldnt go on it would rub agenst the shock tower/controll arm. so i need some help before i go dump 700$ on new tires again..... they looked killer on the back in 255/45 with plenty of clearance but i dont know what size to get for the front...... someone told me i should get 225/45 front but i dont think he knew what the heck he was talking about so ive come to the people who havent done me wrong yet

·
Registered
21,051 Posts
Re: Tire Size question (goauto)

well you've got roughly 25mm difference between the front and rear wheel so a 225 wouldn't be that far off, it's either that or a 235. as far as the sidewall goes, you'd need a 50 on the 225. The sidewall on the 255/45 is 114.75mm, a 225/45 will only be 101.25, that 13.xmm difference will equate to the tires being an inch shorter in the front and will set off your ASR. I've had this happen before, not fun once you hit @55mph the car thinks you're losing traction and cuts power.
Also a 255 on an 8?!? That's huge...
good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (VMRWheels)

Quote, originally posted by VMRWheels »
wow, we recommend 225/40 on our 8.5" wheel, did he try to fit a 255 onto a 7" front?
for a 7" width, I'd recommend a 195-205, 8" would be a 215-225.
[email protected]

yeah the 7 with 255/45 on the front was imposible to fit because it would hit on the suspention. im trying to get a nice "fill" of my wheel well, so when the 255/45 on the 8" filled it nice with stock springs..... so being a noob to wheels and tires, what would be the same hight as a 255/45 but able to fit on a 18x7 without sticking out the sidewall as much.....

·
Registered
21,051 Posts
Re: (goauto)

225/50 or maybe a 215/55, 205/55.
The first number (XXX) is the tire width in mm, the second (XX) is a percentage of the width that is the height of the sidewall. From there you can figure out what tires will be the same overall diameter. It will be nearly impossible to match the exact same sidewall height but as long as you're within a COUPLE mm's you'll be fine.
Be fore warned though, a huge tire like that on an 18 will seriously throw off your speedometer, the increased weight will wear on your breaks and your acceleration will suffer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Rev. Longride)

Quote, originally posted by Rev. Longride »
225/50 or maybe a 215/55, 205/55.
The first number (XXX) is the tire width in mm, the second (XX) is a percentage of the width that is the height of the sidewall. From there you can figure out what tires will be the same overall diameter. It will be nearly impossible to match the exact same sidewall height but as long as you're within a COUPLE mm's you'll be fine.
Be fore warned though, a huge tire like that on an 18 will seriously throw off your speedometer, the increased weight will wear on your breaks and your acceleration will suffer.

okay i think i found an awsome little tool at http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp from what i can tell what i would need to match up to the 255/45 *687mm tall 255mm width* as far as height goes would be 205/55 that would give me a height of 683mmand a width of 205mm considering that the rear rim is 203mm (8") and i know it can fit on the front hub i should be fine i think... lol now off to brands any recommendation when looking for a smooth ride with little wear?
And thank you for the warning bu haveing a GLX v6 ive given no hope to "going fast" or things like "getting 25mpg*
i try to baby it,

·
Registered
21,051 Posts
Re: (Rev. Longride)

Steve might be able to help you find a tire in those sizes, I don't have any experience with sidewalls that big or what's available.
Maybe Continental, they equip BMW & Benz which run big sidewalls on 18's

·
Vendor
11,790 Posts
I wasn't able to find tires in the 205/55/18 size, I went a size bigger and found a few in 215/55/18, which has a 118.25mm sidewall, compared to a 114.75mm sidewall on a 255/45.
you can go into tirerack.com, put in the size you want and find what's available. If you're looking for a budget all season, the Yokohama AVID TRZ's are worth looking into.
[email protected]

Modified by VMRWheels at 12:20 PM 8-19-2009

1 - 9 of 9 Posts