VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't afford R-compounds or anything, looking to stay below $150 a tire. I'm really posting this because I want the shortest tire I can find. The best I've come up with is close to stock size... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
the new street class rules allow a +/- 1 inch size in wheels, i'd recommend moving up to some 15s, much better availability

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought about changing sizes but that probably won't happen this year. I would need to almost trade even up for different wheels because I can't afford to dump more into this thing.

I don't really care about class restrictions, i just run for fun and am not experienced enough to win. My engine puts me in like STX or some stupid fast class. It's fully built with all the internal modifications, although it looks stock on the outside, the lopey idle gives it away.

Any suggestions for a stock 14" wheel? Want to trade me wheels, 4x100? :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your staying with 14", Dunlop Star Specs (Z1 or ZII) are not a horrible choice.
I ran these a couple of years ago for auto-x and a couple of track days also and was very pleased.
Problem is that most manufacturers have all but abandoned performance tires in the 14" size.

Good luck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those Dunlops look like they are pretty good in their class. It's looking like that's what i will buy. There aren't many other options in that price range. I'll try to post a review this summer of what ever I end up with after an autox.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
When I got serious about autocrossing, the Falken Azenis RT-615 were the hot AX tire. I wanted to stick with 14s a) because I was already at my mod limit, and going +1 would have bumped me to Modified class from stock, and b) I was running a set of stupid-light vintage Enkeis. The Azenis were a good choice, but at 195/60 14, they were slightly taller (and obviously wider) than the stock 185/60 14, but it was the only size available that would have fit comfortably.
I've been running a set of 195/50 15 Z1 Star Specs for the last few seasons, and I love them (I have 3 class championships in 4 seasons to prove it). A lot of guys are running the Z2s and BFG Rivals, with plenty of good things to say about them.
Also, check Craigslist and call around to local tracks. Plenty of people will be getting rid of slightly-used race tires with race season coming up, usually for dirt cheap.
Good luck, have fun.

Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered some Direzza ZII's, they should be here Monday so I should have a pic or two and some first impressions. They are 185/60/14. $422 for the tires through the end of march but TireRack charges $50 to ship the dumb things. They also seem to have a monopoly on these because the Dunlop dealer can't get them and I didn't find them on any other site either...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is that good business for Dunlop? I would think they would want them every where they could get them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the tires in and mounted. They feel pretty sticky and don't look quite as narrow as I thought they would. I'll measure the tread sometime. I'll let you know when I get it to the track and get a picture of them on the car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ran the first auto-x today! It went pretty good, picked up like 1 sec. every run and wound up with a 67.7 best time. It was a fun track at the Harrisburg Farm Show complex with SCCA-SUSQ.

The tires are OK, not what I was hoping for but... They are way to soft in the sidewall for my liking. I know some of the problem is that I'm used to 16" rims with low profile tires. However, I ran them at 45psi and they weren't rolling under and scrubbing on the sidewall much at all so that is a good thing. They defiantly improved as the day went on. They were brand new and after I drove the car there, the nubs weren't even wore off the tread yet. I did some good burnouts at the start and I could feel them breaking in and gaining traction. I would say they are much better than my old Nitto 555's I used to run. You can tell there is much more rubber on the road even though the foot print is narrower. It seems like the tread life will be pretty decent as well. I didn't notice any rubber pieces coming off or anything like that. At the limit they were very predictable and produced OK feel. Even when they start sliding, they don't totally give way. Under acceleration, even if they are sliding, they still pull in the direction you want to go. Like I said, I'm used to low profile tires so these felt baloney.

Conclusion: For anyone looking at this tire size, I would see if you could find out if any of the competition has a stiffer sidewall. Other than that, Good traction for a 200 tread wear tire, predictable traction at the limit, and good tread life.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Keep an eye on the small triangles pointing to the treadblocks on the sidewalls, you want to set your tire pressures so they just roll to the tips of the triangles. Sidewalk chalk is great for marking them so you know where to run them (liquid shoe polish is good too, but it won't wear off as quickly).
The tires will get better as you wear off the molding compound and get some heat cycles in them.
But you are correct, not much you can do about tall sidewalls.
Glad you had a good time and improved, that's the most important thing. We had our third event today, had a torrential downpour and flooding on the course, but it was still a fun day.

Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huh, didn't know that's what the triangles were for. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts