VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I find myself in need of the collective wisdom of the hive mind that is the TCL. :)

I am running Stoptech ST-60/40 kits, front and rear, on my track 335i. I am looking for a place to purchase titanium brake pad shims. The goal is to reduce the heat transfer from the pads onto the piston dust shields. I know they exist and they do work, but everywhere online I check, these shims are not in stock.

Any suggestions where I might find those?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
OP, I don't know where to get these. But are you sure they're worth it?

The key property you're looking for is low thermal conductivity.

Here are thermal conductivities for common metals, per this link:

Ti: 20 W/m k
Carbon steel: 35-55
Chrome steel: 30-60
Stainless steel: 14

Not sure what common shim material is - I would guess some sort of chrome or stainless steel. If so, titanium may not be an upgrade.

Do you have evidence that ti is the solution here? Not challenging you - just wondering if this is backed by physics or based on marketing.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
OP, I don't know where to get these. But are you sure they're worth it?

The key property you're looking for is low thermal conductivity.

Here are thermal conductivities for common metals, per this link:

Ti: 20 W/m k
Carbon steel: 35-55
Chrome steel: 30-60
Stainless steel: 14

Not sure what common shim material is - I would guess some sort of chrome or stainless steel. If so, titanium may not be an upgrade.

Do you have evidence that ti is the solution here? Not challenging you - just wondering if this is backed by physics or based on marketing.
Common shim material is low grade steel as usually its coated with rubber, or stainless steel.
In a caliper which is designed for low thermal transfer the pistons will have a barrier, like vented piston caps, aluminum, steel, or phenolic.
Usually these types of countermeasures typically are a last resort when you can't achieve adequate cooling from ducts on the caliper/pads... many people think the ducts are to cool the disk :sly:

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardbrakes appear to be out of business. They don't respond to emails. On their FB page the most recent post is from 2017. They are somewhat local to me - Naperville, IL but all evidence points to them not being in business any more. Also, you actually can't order from their web site. I've tried.

Unfortunately, I have no way of running any sort of brake ducts for cooling. The entire front face of the car is full of oil coolers, radiators, intercooler, etc. The only way I can think of bringing cool air into the brake system is to hack my fenders and that's not happening.

The heat shims are the only thing I can think of at this time that does not involve significant body work.

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also as a side note, the Trophy version of the Stoptech calipers come with titanium nosed pistons for better heat insulation.

Those pistons are available separately at $100 each. That's $1200 for the front calipers in just pistons.... :screwy:

That's why I am looking into titanium shims.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hardbrakes appear to be out of business. They don't respond to emails. On their FB page the most recent post is from 2017. They are somewhat local to me - Naperville, IL but all evidence points to them not being in business any more. Also, you actually can't order from their web site. I've tried.
Derp, that makes sense. I was initially like "this is the first Google result bro" :laugh:

Girodisc is a legit manufacturer but I would assume that they probably build to order.

I live 15 minutes from the HardBrakes address and I have to go to Home Depot this morning anyway. I'll drive past and confirm that they're OOB so you have some closure :p

Edit - No I won't, their address is a UPS Store mailbox :laugh:

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Derp, that makes sense. I was initially like "this is the first Google result bro" :laugh:

Girodisc is a legit manufacturer but I would assume that they probably build to order.

I live 15 minutes from the HardBrakes address and I have to go to Home Depot this morning anyway. I'll drive past and confirm that they're OOB so you have some closure :p

Edit - No I won't, their address is a UPS Store mailbox :laugh:

Thanks for the effort.:beer:

Girodisc are legit. They only make shims for ST-40 though and I need them for ST-60. I might reach out to them to see if they can make me a set.

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,723 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no way of running any sort of brake ducts for cooling. The entire front face of the car is full of oil coolers, radiators, intercooler, etc. The only way I can think of bringing cool air into the brake system is to hack my fenders and that's not happening.

The heat shims are the only thing I can think of at this time that does not involve significant body work.
What about some under body ducting? Do you have any room underneath to add some ducts to pull air up? It's not the coolest air but you'll get some air flow at least?

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^
This is an interesting approach. I like it. I would obviously have to manufacture custom engine covers but it might be worth pursuing.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
What about some under body ducting? Do you have any room underneath to add some ducts to pull air up? It's not the coolest air but you'll get some air flow at least?

/\ This might be good enough to keep the trans cool, but not enough for the brakes. You'll need a high pressure point, ideally from above the splitter, then you can route the air directly to the rotor.

This is what I did to my evo

This shows the high pressure points and airflow under the car.

http://www.rapid-racer.com/resource...Aerodynamics.JPG.opt1199x844o0,0s1199x844.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.