VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering chipping my car but it is a 03 GTI with 104k miles on it. My worry is that chipping it will put more stress on old components and might push some of them over the edge. Is this a valid concern or will it probably not be a problem? (I don't mind small fixes but I don't want to have any huge bills after paying to get it chipped)
Thanks

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: To chip or not to chip ([email protected])

DV is in the mail, timing belt, water pump, and clutch were done about 4k miles ago. Of course, at that point I wasn't considering chipping it so its a stock VW clutch. Will that hold up or will I need to get a better built clutch soon after?

· Registered
271 Posts
Re: To chip or not to chip (berlindx)

I'm surprised that your vw clutch has made it this far. (vw's OEM clutches are NOT known for their durability) Regardless of whether you're chipped or not, you'll probably have to change the clutch fairly soon if you're on the original vw clutch - so get the chip.

· Registered
33 Posts

Quote, originally posted by berlindx »
I am considering chipping my car but it is a 03 GTI with 104k miles on it. My worry is that chipping it will put more stress on old components and might push some of them over the edge. Is this a valid concern or will it probably not be a problem? (I don't mind small fixes but I don't want to have any huge bills after paying to get it chipped)
Thanks

hi ber, as soon as you put any mods on a car you are always running a chance, but,,, if you dont take that chance you will never find out...i,m chipped,got 120 klm ,fmic and magnafo stainless exhaust and i think it runs quick but i am now ordering a k04 -2o kit. we are good for 260 to 280 hp with out any probs. after 260hp we need to start beefing up some parts. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif keep us posted

· Registered
801 Posts
Re: To chip or not to chip (seanrmz)

i went bt at 110k and the car made 306whp at 21psi and i was running 24psi on the street and i didnt have anything out of the ordinary fail. so i would not worry about chipping it but like every one else said you will need a clutch.

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Re: To chip or not to chip (ch1km4gn3t)

Quote, originally posted by ch1km4gn3t »
I'm surprised that your vw clutch has made it this far. (vw's OEM clutches are NOT known for their durability) Regardless of whether you're chipped or not, you'll probably have to change the clutch fairly soon if you're on the original vw clutch - so get the chip.

Ive been chipped since 60k, installed my tbe at 80k. I am now at 99.5k miles and still on my stock DV and clutch

Modified by VWGolfA4 at 11:12 AM 8-3-2008

· Banned
5,881 Posts

DV is in the mail, timing belt, water pump, and clutch were done about 4k miles ago. Of course, at that point I wasn't considering chipping it so its a stock VW clutch. Will that hold up or will I need to get a better built clutch soon after?

If you know how to drive a manual, you'll be fine. Don't slip the clutch on launches or bang every shift and the clutch will hold up.

· Registered
2,506 Posts

Chipping does put a bit more stress on your engine however shelf bought tunes like GIAC, UNI, and APR are fairly safe and are designed to run the stock components a bit hotter. My experience with the GIAC X+ chip was pretty noticeable. Improved throttle response and alot more pull http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I ran the GIAC X+ chip on my car from 6200 miles to 24,000 miles and the only issues I had was a few blown coil packs (which happen frequently with 1.8T's) and I had to get an aftermarket diverter valve (TurboXS makes a great valve for 1.8T's). Apart from that its sweetness

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: To chip or not to chip (sledge0001)

Thanks for all the replies. I am planning on getting it chipped within the next 2 weeks and am deciding between GIAC and APR. I like APR because I hear it is very refined and gives very smooth power delivery. I hear GIAC X+ gives the most gains but has surging issues. Any thoughts?

· Registered
2,506 Posts

I never had any issues with my GIAC X+ chip and surging.. I was running the ECS race valve and I did end up running a 4 bar FPR with my GIAC tune and that seemed to be a winning combo..

5,881 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I am planning on getting it chipped within the next 2 weeks and am deciding between GIAC and APR. I like APR because I hear it is very refined and gives very smooth power delivery. I hear GIAC X+ gives the most gains but has surging issues. Any thoughts?

Any chip is susceptible to surging due to inconsistency in N75's.

· Registered
27 Posts
i've had mine chipped since i bought y car with 20k on it i think i got it chipped around 25k I have 76k atm and only problem ive had with my car is changing the water pump and some sensor i wanna say o2.. it was a long time ago id say chip it go for it

· Registered
801 Posts

So if I chip it, get a "race" N75 valve from somewhere like ecstuning, there will be no surging issues?

its hit or miss with the n75 valve you car could run great on the stock or it could work great on the race one you will not know till you chip the car and drive it. i personally use a MBC i never really liked the n75 part throttle and the MBC is so smooth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.