VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

to cut or not to cut the springs...

2K views 67 replies 44 participants last post by  jet9503 
#1 ·
i know halx is gonna vote nay...
but, i've got H&R sports / bilstein sports. I love the firmness of them, i hate how the front is so high. I am debating cutting a half or 3/4 of a coil off the front... i dont think that much will make my ride terribly bouny. Plus, I have a 2.0, so its not super heavy...
I havea lil money in the bank, but would rather spend it on stuff like stress / sway bars than buying a cup kit or coils (i'd probably go with coils)
So tell me your opinion

#5 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (dr()opy)

why not?!
gimme a definate reason why not - other than "its wrong"
it will make the front a little stiffer, which is fine. I'm not heating the coils, so i'm not ruining the integrity of them. I have firmer struts that can handle the higher spring rate..... so tell me why i shouldn't

#7 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (Slapshotnerd)

go ahead and cut your springs. wont make a difference if you only cut a coil. i have cut every set of springs i have ever had. lowering springs arent low enough. so either you can cut your springs, or buy an expensive set of coilovers. your choulse. but I have never had a problem...

#8 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (mspjettaIII)

quote:[HR][/HR]go ahead and cut your springs. wont make a difference if you only cut a coil. i have cut every set of springs i have ever had. lowering springs arent low enough. so either you can cut your springs, or buy an expensive set of coilovers. your choulse. but I have never had a problem...[HR][/HR]​
this is the only guy who has adressed my actual question of WHY i should or shouldn't cut em...
again - it would be less than 1 coil. I wouldn't be heating them up. And i know it would increase the spring rate, but i'm prepared for that...
someone give me an EDUCATED no!

#9 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (TeamDynasty95JettaGL)

isnt there a greater risk of the spring becoming unseated and thus allowing your whole suspension point to collapse?
i know its not often that even w/ a stock setup the shock extends fully, but man, you only have to do it once and one whole corner or end of your car will be totalled.
~spoonie

#10 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (spoonie)

I say go for it, just don't cut too many. The dead coils are sort of to only hold the spring in the housing while the car is lifted up, and for a softer ride on normal pavement...
Don't cut them all, your car will ride really rough!, like a coil, but no more than a coil and a half!!!
-- Whol

#11 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (Wholsea)

quote:[HR][/HR]I say go for it, just don't cut too many. The dead coils are sort of to only hold the spring in the housing while the car is lifted up, and for a softer ride on normal pavement...
Don't cut them all, your car will ride really rough!, like a coil, but no more than a coil and a half!!!
-- Whol[HR][/HR]​
like i said, just a 1/2 or maybe 3/4 of a dead coil... thats it....
dont vortexers read posts before they reply?

#13 ·

After my ABT springs went in my Jetta, I noticed the front was still too high for my liking. So I had 1 coil cut from the front springs and I have had no problems. I have not sacraficed any ride quality either. I say do it.

#15 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (Wholsea)

For those of you that didn't know...H&R actually used to include instructions on how to cut your dead coils to adjust height. Of course if you get too drastic I'm sure it would be a problem, but what Slap is suggesting should be no problem. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#17 ·
Re: to cut or not to cut the springs... (passatrcr)

I had H&R Sports myself....Was low enough for me either but I got coilovers instead...Id suggest a lowering cap too. I was told cutting a coil or two wont change the ride though.

[Modified by VWRice, 11:22 AM 4-5-2002]

[Modified by VWRice, 11:23 AM 4-5-2002]

#20 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]go ahead and cut your springs. wont make a difference if you only cut a coil. i have cut every set of springs i have ever had. lowering springs arent low enough. so either you can cut your springs, or buy an expensive set of coilovers. your choulse. but I have never had a problem...
this is the only guy who has adressed my actual question of WHY i should or shouldn't cut em...
again - it would be less than 1 coil. I wouldn't be heating them up. And i know it would increase the spring rate, but i'm prepared for that...
someone give me an EDUCATED no![HR][/HR]​
although i can't give you an educated no, i can say the springs were developed for the specs they have, cutting them will change something even cutting a little off. it has to. so my answer would be no because i'm not comfortable with something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.