VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To our readers,

1997. That’s the year I started VWvortex. I owned a Mk3 Jetta GLX at the time and still miss that VR6 powered car to this day. There was no big plan with this site, I just wanted to try and build a website for people that like VWs and provide the latest news and photos. We added our discussion forum software in 1998 and from there this whole thing just took off. 17+ years later we have over 1 million people visiting this site every month and our forums are one of the largest automotive forums on the Internet.

After all these years, it was time to give some serious thought to the future. I have a family now, and kids… and they just keep getting older every day. The numerous events in their lives that I’ve missed when traveling somewhere or trying to keep this business going have begun to catch up with me.

Over the past few years, George and I started having some discussions about the sites and the long-term future. We have watched numerous other automotive websites get bought up by different companies over the years. We’ve also watched carefully what happens to those websites. There are only a handful of companies that we would feel comfortable leaving the reins to our sites to. Vertical Scope, the owners of Auto Guide and numerous other websites, is one of the few that will purchase a website, cultivate it, give it stability and let the original ecosystem and community continue to flourish and live with minimal change.

About 8 months ago we started discussions with Vertical Scope over this site and its future. After a LOT of soul searching, debate, rollercoasters of emotion and more, we made the difficult decision to sell VWvortex - over a month ago actually.

What has changed in that time? Not much. New servers, new hosting, better infrastructure and support and a few other things on the back end, but otherwise to you our readers nothing. And that’s the point. George and I are still around and you’ll find the same moderators and forum admins as well. We’re going to continue to keep offering the latest VW news and features you are used to and also continue to make performance improvements and upgrades to the forums.

Long term for George and I means reducing our pace a bit and spending a little more time with family and friends. Will Barber has been doing a knockout job keeping the blog and news flowing over the last year and he will continue to keep doing that. George and I will still be around poking into the forums, contributing stories, driving the latest model and more. A line in a famous movie once said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” We just plan to stop and look around a little bit more. :)

The years here have literally flown by. The Golf IV had just launched in Europe when I launched this site and I still can’t believe three more generations have gone by since then. The readers we’ve met, the friendships we’ve made, the crazy stories we’ve both heard and been a part of - it has been an amazing ride. We are truly fortunate to be able to call this place home for the last 15+ years. What a long strange trip it has been.

Cheers!

- Jamie & George

·
Registered
473 Posts
Congrats, and thanks for putting together such a great website!

Can't even begin to add up all the time and money saved doing my own car repairs after looking at DIYs and advice on this site. Not to mention the hours of entertainment and knowledge gleened from this site!

Enjoy your time with family!!:beer:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You made the right decision. Thanks for your creativity and being critical of the new site owners. Congrats to you and the hard work :beer:

Been here 12 years and plan to stay as long as they don't change too much.

·
Administrator
4,053 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Philip, I am a community manager for VerticalScope, I am part of a small team that will be on VWVortex.com covering the webmaster duties for Jamie.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it’s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What are we here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier. You all contributed to building the strong foundation VWVortex.com was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.

-Philip

·
10,792 Posts
Wow - all things change with time. I've been on here since Jun 1999, along the way I've gained a massive amount of VW specific knowledge, made friends and some not-friends. It's a community for sure, I hope that it continues to grow and prosper.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Jamie & George!

Congratulations on your success and good luck with your future endeavors!

I have had many moments of great joy reading many threads and a few moments of "damn vwvortex!".

It was great to meet both you at Waterfest a few years ago! Hopefully we will continue to hear your perspective and thoughts in the future threads :beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crazy to think I am only 17 years old... But here I am and I love this form so much! I get a lot of help here and I really need it because I really don't know a lot about vws . But I am just crazy about them and I'm in love with mine! Even though I'm new, I feel like I've been here forever. This place is great and the people are great. I just wanted to say thank you and good luck to y'all

·
Registered
18,578 Posts
Thank you Jamie and George (and everyone else behind the scenes)! Vwvortex has honestly played a major role in my life, I met people on here who continue to be friends over a decade later.

Phillip, I'm excited to see what the future holds. Congrats on a great purchase!

·
Administrator
4,053 Posts
Thank you Jamie and George (and everyone else behind the scenes)! Vwvortex has honestly played a major role in my life, I met people on here who continue to be friends over a decade later.

Phillip, I'm excited to see what the future holds. Congrats on a great purchase!
Thanks! We are pretty exited too!

-Philip

·
Registered
212 Posts
Definitely a big part of many enthusiast's lives.

I try to explain the bond I have made with people all across the world, to my wife and she just doesn't get it.

To the new owners of VW Vortex - Good luck! Don't mind the CEL. It will always be there. Also... Ban Jett!

To Jamie and George - Best of luck in your future endeavors. Family coming first is the best decision any man can make. Congrats guys!

·
Premium Member
54,825 Posts
About 8 months ago we started discussions with Vertical Scope over this site and its future. After a LOT of soul searching, debate, rollercoasters of emotion and more, we made the difficult decision to sell VWvortex - over a month ago actually.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.