VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a can of Candy Grape and Clear Coat and I'm about to embark. Any helpful hints or suggestions are appreciated. Assume I'm an idiot 'cause when it comes to anything DIY, I actually am. thanks!

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: To those who have painted their tails... (Iceman666)

Use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the lenses down, and tape everything you don't want painted. Make sure the lenses are clean and dry. Prop the lenses straight up and down and spray in a slow sweeping motion no less than 12" away. Continue to shake the can in between coats; it is very thin paint. Although you will go through more paint, very thin coats will produce the best appearance. Take your time and do a thin coat and let it dry. Repeat until you are happy. I put on about 6 or 7 thin coats and they look good. The photo below is not a "tail light" shot, but you get the idea. Good luck.

[Modified by tachycardia, 9:15 PM 3-11-2002]

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Re: To those who have painted their tails... (bkcorrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]does anyone have pix of the final result?[HR][/HR]​
Check the corrado thread titled "spray on tint" there is a bunch of pics on there....
B

·
Registered
17,441 Posts
Re: To those who have painted their tails... (PhatazzMkIVJetta)

since i refuse to use that model paint (well i bought taillight spray in 00' before i heard of the "testors mod") because it cracks and melts and drips so i have read over the years, i got my tailight spray at wf00. no fade or anything since. heres a pic. the spray is cheap too under $20.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: To those who have painted their tails... (tachycardia)

Thanks everybody. Very helpful.
quote:[HR][/HR]Use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the lenses down, and tape everything you don't want painted. Make sure the lenses are clean and dry. Prop the lenses straight up and down and spray in a slow sweeping motion no less than 12" away. Continue to shake the can in between coats; it is very thin paint. Although you will go through more paint, very thin coats will produce the best appearance. Take your time and do a thin coat and let it dry. Repeat until you are happy. I put on about 6 or 7 thin coats and they look good. The photo below is not a "tail light" shot, but you get the idea. Good luck.

[Modified by tachycardia, 9:15 PM 3-11-2002][HR][/HR]​
I'm curious why you'd prop the lenses straight up and down. I'd think this would cause the paint to drip. No?

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
Re: To those who have painted their tails... (brilliantyellowg60)

I have lots of pics of my lights if someone would be willing to host a few.
If you sand the lights make sure it is with like 800 sand paper or your lights will be indefintly scratched when oor if you decide to take off the red tint. If you are never going to take it off go ahead and sand.
here are the things that i ran into. tape off the lights, if you intend on spraying the white red also i STRONGLY suggest going out and buying a can of candy apple red for the white reverse lights, otherwise they will turn out purple, ondce you lightly coat the white with the candy apple(whjich does not have to be precise. then go over all of the orange with candy grape, find the tint to your liking then, un tape the bottom lights and take the candy grape and spray them a few times to color match the top, otherewise you will have too different colors of red, and we dont want that now do we

hope this helps
oh and it wont drip standing upright if you do it with really lights coats. and DONT forget to clearcoat the hell out of them when you are done
-Charlie

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: To those who have painted their tails... (NVmyVW)

Thanks for everyone's help. Unfortunately almost everything went right out the window once I began and things started going wrong. I left the raised emblems 'cause the only sandpaper I had was 600 and it was taking forever. I also did thick coats since the light coats were coming out very dull looking. I made the mistake of opening up the window after a coat and a bunch of dust blew in and all but ruined three out of the four. Oh well. They came out fairly sketchy but they're still better than the orange. I'll get 'em done professionally once I have more money to burn. Thanks everyone again. Here's some pics for anyone's who's curious as I always was...
the workshop:

the finished product:

the back #1:

the back #2:

the back #3:

the front for good measure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.