VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know posting here is like posting to the black hole, but...

I'm looking at buying a new home PC, since my current rig is 8 years old and has soon-to-be-goners Windows 7.
Looking at Costco, they have a Dell PC on sale that has essentially everything I need -- but comes standard with 64 GB of RAM.

This is massive overkill for a home PC, that may do some light photo editing at best and no gaming.

Can anyone justify 64 GB of RAM in a home PC? :confused:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
That sounds like a workstation or they're confusing ram with an SSD or some kind of cache drive.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82,894 Posts
That sounds like a workstation or they're confusing ram with an SSD or some kind of cache drive.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
No, it's legit.
https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-893...oad-Code-with-Purchase.product.100493092.html

Well.. it's future proof.
https://www.dell.com/support/manual...8b9be6-87bc-4cd9-8232-897fb250ed5a&lang=en-us
Looks like four slots with 16 gb sticks max per stick.
This must be a sign that ddr4 ram prices have finally dropped back to sane levels.

·
Registered
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's probably a workstation since it's got Win 10 Pro and 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD.

The 64 GB RAM isn't a mistake.

But if it's not being used as a workstation - just a home PC - I don't think the 64 GB RAM will be of any extra benefit.
16 GB seems plenty.

It's not like horsepower - I wouldn't mind an extra 64 HP.

·
Registered
82,894 Posts
It's probably a workstation since it's got Win 10 Pro and 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD.

The 64 GB RAM isn't a mistake.

But if it's not being used as a workstation - just a home PC - I don't think the 64 GB RAM will be of any extra benefit.
16 GB seems plenty.

It's not like horsepower - I wouldn't mind an extra 64 HP.
Just think of how many chrome tabs you have open at once!! :laugh:

If the price is good compared to similar PCs with less ram.... why does it matter?
The extra ram doesn't hurt anything other than maybe adding a little extra power use.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
No, it's legit.
https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-893...oad-Code-with-Purchase.product.100493092.html

Well.. it's future proof.
https://www.dell.com/support/manual...8b9be6-87bc-4cd9-8232-897fb250ed5a&lang=en-us
Looks like four slots with 16 gb sticks max per stick.
This must be a sign that ddr4 ram prices have finally dropped back to sane levels.
That is not future proof... that is stupidly spending $$ where you don't need to. This is why I don't like pre-built system. Instead of 64GB RAM, I would rather get 16GB and use $$ to ELIMINATE the ancient mechanical HDD and use SSD. In 2019, it is a crime to buy a brand new computer system (except server or storage box) with mechanical HDD.

64GB DDR-2666 RAM cost around $300USD

2TB SSD start around $200US
16GB RAM start around $70US

·
Registered
82,894 Posts
That is not future proof... that is stupidly spending $$ where you don't need to. This is why I don't like pre-built system. Instead of 64GB RAM, I would rather get 16GB and use $$ to ELIMINATE the ancient mechanical HDD and use SSD. In 2019, it is a crime to buy a brand new computer system (except server or storage box) with mechanical HDD.

64GB DDR-2666 RAM cost around $300USD

2TB SSD start around $200US
16GB RAM start around $70US
That's great that you like building a PC.
But it's silly to think everybody wants to do that (deal with assembly, problem solving, warranty returns on individual parts).
What.. you buy premade furniture?
You should totally be getting lumber and fabric and making it yourself to save a few bucks and end up with better made stuff!

This Dell has:

Processor & Memory:
8th Gen Intel® Core i7-8700 Processor 3.2GHz
64GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

Drives:
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
DVD-RW Drive (Reads & Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Graphics & Video:
6GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 Graphics
Monitor Not Included

Communications:
802.11 Wireless-AC + Bluetooth® 4.2
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

Audio:
Integrated 5.1 with Waves MaxxAudio® Processing

Keyboard & Mouse:
Dell Wired Keyboard + Laser Mouse

Ports & Slots:
2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C
7x USB 3.1 Gen 1
2x USB 2.0
1x HDMI
1x RJ-45
1x Media Card Reader
1x Combo Headphone/Microphone Jack

Additional Information:
Dimensions: 15.1" x 7.0" x 13.3"

Some rough numbers for costs (including shipping):

300- i7-8700
60- 256 ssd m.2
70- 2 tb HD
70- power supply
80- case
230 -gtx 1060
80- motherboard
350- 64 GB ram
30- keyoard/mouse
150- windows 10 pro
---------------------------

Total $1410

So at $1350 + $10 S&H, that Costco Dell seems like a reasonable deal considering you are getting assembly and Dell warranty for free.
Even if you drop to Windows home and 16 GB ram, you just knock $200-$250 off the part costs.
The available ram capacity- used or not- does make it somewhat future proof imo.
You could get a cheaper motherboard that only allows two dims of 8 GB ram- for example.

That being said, there are probably better deals out there if the OP is comfortable with another brand like IBuyPower (but that usually means a silly gaming bling case), or with reduced specs.
But that Dell looks fine.
It's actually the same model we got to replace several workstations at my office last year.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,943 Posts
I have to agree with the future proofing. While right now that much ram seems crazy, give it a few years and it might almost be enough.
RAM usage doesn’t escalate that quickly...

8GB is still sufficient for email/internet use and it has been for over 10 years.

·
Registered
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree 64GB of RAM for home use is stupid.
I'm not buying the Costco Dell machine.

Though it is a decent value, considering specking a similar machine directly from Dell would run about $2,200 now, making $1,350 look even better.
Dell (over)charges for RAM, making the upgrade alone from 16 to 64 GB RAM $600.

I can spec an i7-8700 machine from CyberpowerPC for about $1,250 with 16 GB RAM and without the "Tokyo at Night" LED Gamer light show.

M.2 PCIe NVMe ("Envy Me" - funny) SSD boot/primary drive is where I'm headed.
A traditional HDD as an internal backup storage drive will also be included.
(I like multiple storage redundancies with two additional external backup HDDs, without going the RAID route)

·
Registered
82,894 Posts
I agree 64GB of RAM for home use is stupid.
I'm not buying the Costco Dell machine.

Though it is a decent value, considering specking a similar machine directly from Dell would run about $2,200 now, making $1,350 look even better.
Dell (over)charges for RAM, making the upgrade alone from 16 to 64 GB RAM $600.

I can spec an i7-8700 machine from CyberpowerPC for about $1,250 with 16 GB RAM and without the "Tokyo at Night" LED Gamer light show.

M.2 PCIe NVMe ("Envy Me" - funny) SSD boot/primary drive is where I'm headed.
A traditional HDD as an internal backup storage drive will also be included.
(I like multiple storage redundancies with two additional external backup HDDs, without going the RAID route)
CyberpowerPC has decent reviews.

I just checked Consumer Reports (might as well since still have year long sub from last year while shopping vehicles).
HP PCs are actually at the top of their desktop list (above Dell). :what:
Specifically:

HP ENVY 795-0050
HP Pavilion 595-p0084
HP Omen 880-157c

I wouldn't have guessed that.
But they all got a "good" predicted reliability rating, so not sure how much their PC desktop reviews are even worth.
Also, you should be able to turn off any RGB lighting.
I hate it too.
It's called "Unicorn vomit".

·
Registered
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, you should be able to turn off any RGB lighting.
I hate it too.
It's called "Unicorn vomit".
So many custom builders focus on the gamers, and nearly all towers have plexiglass and vented panels to showcase the CIRCUS within.

This is not the computer I'm looking for:

·
Banned
29,811 Posts
Just think of how many chrome tabs you have open at once!!
My FIL using my wife's laptop will.open a new tab for everything, even tabs he already has open. He's constantly searching Craigslist and house hunting, so there's like 4 CL tabs, 6-7 Zillow tabs, 3-5 FB tabs, a couple.tabs with news...and usually a few tabs of some spam he clicked on in his email :banghead:

·
Registered
82,894 Posts
My FIL using my wife's laptop will.open a new tab for everything, even tabs he already has open. He's constantly searching Craigslist and house hunting, so there's like 4 CL tabs, 6-7 Zillow tabs, 3-5 FB tabs, a couple.tabs with news...and usually a few tabs of some spam he clicked on in his email :banghead:
Coworker at local office (I'm only there one day a week now) is over 60 and not computer literate.
He is on an old Core 2 Duo dell sff with 2 GB ram.
Every time I get on his machine to help him with something I have to close like 20 email windows (same window open 20 times) and 50 PDFs. :banghead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts