VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent 30 minutes searching on this Forum as well as the AudiWorld forums to find the elusive pictures showing the Old & New S4 badges (2001 & 2001.5)
Here's the "old" 2001 badge indicating you don't have the 2001.5 "upgrades"

Here's the "new" 2001.5 badge...

Maybe we can bookmark this in the FAQ thread.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Re: Took me 30 minutes of searching... but I found it... (my_01_S4)

It's not quite that easy because we've seen the occasional early '01.5's with old style badge.
Most folks use the badging as an indicator but the vehicle build date will truely determine '01 vs '01.5.
Build date of Oct 00 is the beginning of '01.5 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Took me 30 minutes of searching... but I found it... (GLS-S4)

OK, Also had to look up where to find the build date but that was much easier. It's on the sticker which is on the driver door jamb. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Mine is July 00. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
858 Posts
Re: (t.o.golf3)

Quote, originally posted by t.o.golf3 »
I like the older badge better...

i prefer the better oiling to the turbos on the 01.5, function over asethetics, every time. if it was really buggin' you you could put the old badge on the newer car, or look for an 01.5 with the older badges as mentioned above.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (quikveedb2)

Quote, originally posted by quikveedb2 »

i prefer the better oiling to the turbos on the 01.5, function over asethetics, every time. if it was really buggin' you you could put the old badge on the newer car, or look for an 01.5 with the older badges as mentioned above.

Yup me too... that's why I'm not as happy that mine was built in July instead of October.

Oh well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The upgrades to the 01 are actually pretty minimal. If you look at the oil lines it was mostly a heat shield and routing change on the passenger side turbo. Easy enough to seriously upgrade the oiling lines when you do the turbo swap anyway.
The older badge is more representative of the original RS2 cars that started the S line. I prefer the older badge.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Re: (quikveedb2)

Quote, originally posted by quikveedb2 »

i prefer the better oiling to the turbos on the 01.5, function over asethetics, every time.

Haven't had any problems with my '00 turbos. Still original after 129K miles, and still has good punch. No sludge in my engine, everything is top. Cylinder heads, cams and jornals are a nice honey golden and very free flowing. people just don't understand that basic maintenance is the best thing you can do, even though I still change my oil every 3k miles or 3 months with synthetic. it also pays to be a VW tech

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Re: Took me 30 minutes of searching... but I found it... (my_01_S4)

Quote, originally posted by my_01_S4 »
Just spent 30 minutes searching on this Forum as well as the AudiWorld forums to find the elusive pictures showing the Old & New S4 badges (2001 & 2001.5)
Here's the "old" 2001 badge indicating you don't have the 2001.5 "upgrades"

Here's the "new" 2001.5 badge...

Maybe we can bookmark this in the FAQ thread.

my car hs the top one on the grill and the bottom one on the trunk and dash I did not put them there but I did buy the car used.
I guess the PO put them on

Modified by corrado2nr at 1:05 PM 7-13-2007

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Took me 30 minutes of searching... but I found it... (corrado2nr)

Quote, originally posted by corrado2nr »
my car hs the top one on the grill and the bottom one on the trunk and dash I did not put them there but I did buy the car used.

To know if you have the 01.5 or newer rig, check the build date on the sticker on the driver's door frame. That's how I knew for sure what I had.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Re: Took me 30 minutes of searching... but I found it... (corrado2nr)

Quote, originally posted by corrado2nr »
Modified by corrado2nr at 1:05 PM 7-13-2007

you likely have an 01.5, those are the badges that came on that MY. check the build date, like i said in the other post of yours. please remove the S4 emblem on the dash, who needs to be reminded a 3rd time what car they own from the drivers seat, there are emblems on the steering wheel and tach or speedo(another idicator of the MY... and what passenger needs to be reminded at all. if they don't know the difference, it's not worth explaining.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Take it from me, there is a lot of misinformation on the differences between later style and early style s4;s.

THERE IS NO BETTER OILING SYSTEM in later s4s. None. They are the exact same size, exact same lines, exactly the same bends etc. There is no turbo differences either.

Here are the differences for the record:
hood grill and trunk badging (yes there is however some overlap so not cut and dry)
cluster badging
sport package interiors with alcantara had rear seats that had the alcantara extended fully down the center while early cars had a small box on the bottom the rear seat that was leather in the center
ESP vs no ESP
different intake manifolds with different PCV or spider hose assembly routing. Same function just different connection points
ECU's
aluminum vs plastic thermostat housings/pipes
valley pans with a revised center divider to seperate oil gases venting better
pink vs grey top injectors
PS cover and PS cover area wiring organization differences
accordian hose breather vs no breather
alum uprights in early 00's vs steel in late 00 through 02
straight lower control arm different for alum upright as well as center hub (press vs bolt in bearing)

I really want to make sure I am not forgetting anything but that is the bulk of it all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats really interesting is there an overlap on all those mebtioned above because mines an 01 with the earlier builddate and i have esp and all the changes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts