VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I had a thread I called "Tailfeathers," where we ID'd planes based on their tails. Made my annual visit to the Air Force Museum in Dayton the other day, and after checking out the Memphis Belle, and realizing I had pix of everything else, decided to take pictures of landing gear. I'll post them up occasionally, you tell me what they are. Heck, you might have to remind me what they are- I know most of them, but I forget sometimes! Some will be easy, some hard. There might be duplicates, that is, both tail and main gear from one plane, or two examples of a plane. Plus I might throw in some other vehicles I see at museums...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Awhile back I had a thread I called "Tailfeathers," where we ID'd planes based on their tails. Made my annual visit to the Air Force Museum in Dayton the other day, and after checking out the Memphis Belle, and realizing I had pix of everything else, decided to take pictures of landing gear. I'll post them up occasionally, you tell me what they are. Heck, you might have to remind me what they are- I know most of them, but I forget sometimes! Some will be easy, some hard. There might be duplicates, that is, both tail and main gear from one plane, or two examples of a plane. Plus I might throw in some other vehicles I see at museums...

This looks like the nose gear to a B-29.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct! I figured that would be easy. The other two should be, too; I have some that are going to be pretty hard. Keep in mind, all of these, for now, are at the USAF Museum, so that should narrow things down.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
Middle one is a B-52.

Is the bottom one a Canberra? It looks kinda right, then kinda wrong, then kinda right again but I don't want to cheat either.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! Yes, it is, B-57 in the Southeast Asia hangar. And the B-52, same place.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:p Yep. The other one should be easy, too. I have some hard ones in the mix later.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. Here are a couple more easy ones:

(Shopped to remove the designation on the chocks.)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
F-89 and F-84?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I see why the first one is reminiscent of a 52, but it is a much newer and smaller aircraft. The second, honestly, I have to go check my pix for the ID!

Edit: 2nd is not a Caribou or Provider. Same era, if that helps.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope. Don't think I took pix of that this time. Again, correct era.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Top one's an Osprey.
No idea on the bottom one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts