VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
The P-75 has me looking up German WWII bombers. It was a fun Rabbit hole to go down.

The second one with the skids makes me think of this one:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That's another one of the vertical take-off oddities. The one above, at the USAF museum, is the Ryan XV-13.

Any guesses on the one above it? Relatively famous prototype/research plane.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nope, although I probably have a pic of its gear here somewhere. It's a P-59. And I believe the X-1B in the background.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Seems like a fun concept, shame it fell silent :)

Such small wheels, completely upright design. Can't go very fast. Either for a helicopter, or, my guess is for the Lunar Landing Research Vehicle.

I'm guessing this is a prop driven VIP or utility plane from the 60s. I'm having difficulties placing it though. It reminds me in a way of the Lockheed P-80 and Bell P-59, so maybe a very early generation jet may fit too. Nothing I've looked at matches, though, so... no guesses here.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Top pic is the XV-6 Kestrel, baby Harrier.

Bottom one, you're on the right track. Rockwell Aero Commander, forget the AF designation right now, used as a VIP/presidential transport.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Top pic is the XV-6 Kestrel, baby Harrier.

Bottom one, you're on the right track. Rockwell Aero Commander, forget the AF designation right now, used as a VIP/presidential transport.
Nice finds, though more exotic than my knowledge or intuition would allow to pinpoint :)

Did look up some Beech VIP planes, didn't fit, and stopped there. Also considered the U-2 and the Harrier for the side-wheels, but didn't consider the Harrier test bed :)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts