VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Which would put him in the early/mid 2000's once he received his commission and orders for flight school. Plus, Pete Mitchell would be in the twilight of his career at this point. 25 years in and he'd be a senior Captain or newly minted Rear Admiral.
You think someone who's lost their qualifications as section leader 3 times and put in hack twice, by Stinger, would ascend to that rank? :laugh:

There's another picture online, this of Mav on a bike. I was reading the article (I think People did it) and was astounded at the lack of basic research skills. Apparently in TG2, Maverick returns to his favorite fighter jet, the F-18 Tomcat. :facepalm:

·
Senior Sloth
2,692 Posts
There's another picture online, this of Mav on a bike. I was reading the article (I think People did it) and was astounded at the lack of basic research skills. Apparently in TG2, Maverick returns to his favorite fighter jet, the F-18 Tomcat. :facepalm:
I'm getting the impression that this movie may disappoint us Gen-X'rs. It would be like doing Goonies 2 with Mikey, but having a completely different cast, and taking place in Nebraska.

·
17,761 Posts
I'm getting the impression that this movie may disappoint us Gen-X'rs. It would be like doing Goonies 2 with Mikey, but having a completely different cast, and taking place in Nebraska.
They already cast Miles Teller, so it's in the "I'll see it when I have nothing better to do than go sell a kidney."

·
17,761 Posts
:facepalm:

He's a douche, not a fighter pilot
ftfy

my frame of reference is the Divergent movies, War Dogs, and Only The Brave.

however, if they (Hollywood) *ever* made a new Animal House, he would be Boon, or related to.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,244 Posts
That's my fear as well.

We joke now, but there was nothing bigger than this movie for guys my age, we LIVED it. It spiked Navy sign ups, the music was everywhere, we just didn't know that Tom Cruise was only 5'2". :)

There's no way a sequel/reboot lives up, impossible. But I'll still go see it. :D

If his call sign isn't "Jaguar" then I'm burning Hollywood to the ground.

Also, do folks remember this was one of the very first affordable VHS tape? There was a big Pepsi cross promotion, the first commercial before a movie on a VHS. That's a big reason we, of that age, saw it so many times. It was the one VHS that almost everyone owned.

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/15/arts/marketing-top-gun-cassette.html

When ''Top Gun,'' the No. 1 box-office success of 1986, is released on video cassette March 11, it will be accompanied by a marketing campaign worth $8 million. This is as much or more than is usually spent to send a new movie into theaters, and millions of dollars more than has ever been spent to advertise a new video cassette.

A Diet Pepsi commercial for the cassette of ''Top Gun'' is to be introduced on the Grammy Awards television show in February. A 60-second version of the commercial will be included at the start of every ''Top Gun'' cassette. The tie-in between Paramount Pictures and Pepsi-Cola is a dramatic example of changing trends in the video-cassette market.

''Top Gun'' will cost $26.95, the lowest introductory price ever asked for a major movie on cassette. While other companies have just raised their prices from $79.95 to $89.95, Paramount has lowered its price from the $29.95 it charged for ''Beverly Hills Cop'' and ''Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.''

''The biggest trend today is that what we call home video is now two businesses,'' said Bill Mechanic, senior vice president of video for Walt Disney Pictures. ''There is rental, and there is sell-through to the consumer, which opens up a whole new revenue source.'' Ads Cost Disney $6 Million

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Aaaaaaaaand the 1st trailer has dropped!

You know how you be like, "Top Gun 2? Naaaaah..."

But. I. Am. In.

·
17,761 Posts

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Is this look like the Top Gun 1 trailer??

·
Banned
142 Posts
Got chills during the aircraft carrier platform lift scene, just so iconic. 34 years later and Tom is proclaiming the movie a love letter to Aviation :thumbup:

·
17,761 Posts
21 - 40 of 44 Posts