VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say this, but; I like to go stupid fast in my GTI occasionally. (
on smooth roads and
on bumpy ones.) I am sure that all of you enjoy doing this as well, or you wouldn't be reading this. I was just playing around on this speed calculator (http://www.f-body.org/gears/) and (http://www.zelek.com/diagram%20&%20Charts/diagramlist.htm) <- this one doesn't have the final drives for the 02m but my FSR has 3.94 for 1-4 and 3.08 for 5-6 & R.
I just discovered that feasibly I could 161 in 6th at 6100 RPM. I am sure this is unattainable in a GTI box ride with stock bumpers and no duck bill. Now, my car is essentially stock in the drive train department. I have a K & N drop in, and a new FSR. I got the 02m FSR from Overland Parts. the sales rep told me was a close ratio with a gear limited speed of 150 mph. they supposedly had a taller 02m, with a gear limit of 170mph. now, I am not sure if this was true at all. but, I know what I wanted and that was acceleration not top end, but the new trans seems to be just the exact same as the old one.
All that aside the other night, rather morning, I was hauling serious A $ $ down State Route- maybe i shouldn't say- here in SO-AZ and I had all three grilles out of the stock bumper on my car. I couldn't push it past 137 in 6th. I think that this had to do with all of the air going through the bumper and under the car. I replaced the grilles and it seems it would be able to push past that 137 mark. I haven't tried it yet, because i have a lifter clattering and i don't want to **** up my car. Has any one else run their 24v GTI past 137? any one with a GLI got better top end? what kind of bumpers, spoilers and/or splitters do you know of that will help the aerodynamics of the GTI?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Top Speed Per Gear and Highest Speed (Mr. Rictus)

thats the hope, i haven't done it yet and that speedo is probably really inaccurate at that speed. Yesterday i got a ticket here on base and my speedo was around 60ish and they locked me at 52. i was in second which stock should be no more than 56 mph with stock ECU.

· Registered
7,912 Posts
Re: Top Speed Per Gear and Highest Speed (type3john)

The factory has a speed limiter at 130 mph. You probably hit it, but since our speedos read high you thought it was 137. You need more power to top out 6th gear. Some of the turbo R32 guys are seeing speeds in the 170-180 range. I think Ive even seen video of someone going 320 kph in germany. If you have miles of open road I coudl see hitting 145 or so with a stock or bolt on car. These cars do need some aero help at those speeds as the front ends start to get light. I would be looking at trying to get an front airdam before you worry about bumpers etc.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think my first Aero buys will be a front lip/splitter and a big a $ $ duck bill for the back. then maybe some 337 skirts and a rear valance w/home made diffuser. I wouldn't doubt that i hit the governor, because of how off i think my speedometer is. I have 225/45/17's. now I really wanna try to beat my 137 mark, it just sucks I cant do it on the way home from work today! Damn $ hitty drivers in the left MOFOin' lane!!!!!! (peeve #1) I definitely will be getting my ecu flashed, hate that rev limiter. + a few extra ponies would be nice.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would really like to think that his passenger took the picture. doing 150 while trying to take a photo of the cluster with one hand is kinda dumb. the roads out here in SO-AZ suck bollix for the most part.

· Registered
6,001 Posts
Re: (type3john)

well when i had my car running the first time i know i hit at least 145-150, but i shut it down after that.
on a side note, that was just on the on ramp coming onto the highway, so you can only imagine how much more i had in it...
(keep in mind, this is on the AuDUBahn in Louisiana)
what, you didnt know we had one of those?

· Registered
1,456 Posts

I've been pushing 160...close track obviously...theoretically I think the gear ratios allow 172... in THEORY

· Registered
2,037 Posts

back when I had first put on my coils, I had an encounter with another vehicle, and got up to around 145-150 on my speedo, which as said before, tend to read slightly high.
I have a stock ECM, but no speed limiter, and I know that for sure, my axle dropped, so the diff had some fun spinning up, and almost wrapped the speedo around by time i could throw it in neutral and pull over.

· Registered
9,426 Posts
Re: Top Speed Per Gear and Highest Speed (.chris..)

Quote, originally posted by .chris.. »
rajvolsa did over 150mph and took a pic for the naysayers.. i think all he had was a chip and cai

Yup, I did 156mph with Chip, intake and exhaust, and two more passengers. I think I would've done more but I remembered that I had a slow leak in my rear tire, so I just let off.
When I got Supercharged I did burry my speedo at 160mph and the car was still pulling...I don't remember where my RPM's were but it was around 6500 or so.
And yeah, that pic of 156mph was taken by my buddy with a cell phone.
So, I don't know how accurate my my speedo was at that speed but I know it's accurate at around 80-85mph.
On another note, if you plan on doing high speeds make sure there's a wide stretch and the road is pretty even, car feels pretty stable, but when you get on a little bumpy surface you can almost feel as the car is lifting off...if there's a little curve and the road is bumpy a little there's a good chance you'll go sideways.
So, there's really not a point to drive that fast anyway...if you really want to try your top speed, do it somewhere where professionals do it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
560 Posts
Re: Top Speed Per Gear and Highest Speed (rajvosa71000)

148ish (i wasn't spending more time than a glance down) when I lifted.
that kind of speed with (as above) a slight curve and a lil bit of bumpiness almost got me killed. Got super squirrely and managed to save it.
that was about 2 years ago and I haven't tried a top speed run since.
But stock vr with suspension and an exhaust and drop-in only will def do 130 and just hang out there all afternoon.
we all know we've got some power in our motors, even stock

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Re: Top Speed Per Gear and Highest Speed (A2DubNut)

I dont' know what it will top out at now, but its gets to 125ish in a hurry.
Can't wait to get this coolant mess figured out and take it for some real abuse

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.