VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the GTI 337 will have the same lame top speed governor as the regular GTI 1.8? That would be ~130 MPH. One would hope that with Z rated tires VW would let this one be ungoverned...
thx...
Dan

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Re: Top speed (dangrass1)

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone know if the GTI 337 will have the same lame top speed governor as the regular GTI 1.8? That would be ~130 MPH. One would hope that with Z rated tires VW would let this one be ungoverned...
thx...
Dan[HR][/HR]​
All the more reason to chip it

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Top speed (strider5)

what do you mean it doesn't matter much? if you've been to 140, you know it's a big deal different than 130. but the car is drag limited due to HP, not aerodynamics. yes it's connected, but chipping will easily put it into the mid 140's. i still bet it breaks 140 in stock form if it's not governed. i know it's only 10mph, but at that speed it's a big 10mph

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: Top speed (M this 1!)

yeah 10 miles per hour is a big difference in the hundreds...the coefficient of drag produced by wind increases as either the cube or square of the cars speed (can't remember the specifics)...so the engine is working A LOT harder to push the car at 140 than at 130.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: Top speed (97GolfGl2.0)

Please post here before you idiots go out on public roads doing those kinds of speeds, please. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif (If you are able to find huge ovals to safely pull 140, I apologize, but I highly doubt it)

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Top speed (caper2874)

so are you asking people to post here to ask you if it's o.k. to go that fast, or to post here before they go do it. little confusing. either way, the 'idiot' is the guy stuck in the fast lane not yielding to faster cars. tell me you've never been over 100mph.

·
Registered
729 Posts

I'd just like a courtesy call to know when and where to stay off the roads. Yes, indeed, I have been at high speed, but do not expect anyone to get out of my way at those speeds. If anything, I usally anticipate everyone on the road ahead of me to suddenly swerve into my lane. And just to clarify, do you really think that 100mph and 140mph are similar? The simple difference between those speeds is approaching double the difference between 100mph and the typical speed of freeway drivers (please use discretion). Please read this as rationalizing, and not flames or digs. Peace.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Top speed (caper2874)

just messin' around with your post, no flame at all. my point was if you've been 100, you'd be just as dead as from 140. i'm the first to say it should be done out there in the middle of the desert with nothing but straight roads.

·
Registered
20,312 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
my point was if you've been 100, you'd be just as dead as from 140. [HR][/HR]​
This comment shows how little you know about cars/safety/speed/etc.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Top speed (teqeeler)

yeah, o.k. Bill! i do believe it's time try driving one of the NEWER cars on the market. you do know they've gotten better since '84 right? well, anyway cars have increased dramatically since your '84 GTI. they've gotten a wee bit safer, faster and nicer. seriously though, don't try to make me feel like an ass 'cause you don't like to go fast. my whole point, since you missed it, is i wanted to make sure they weren't pointing a finger for someone doing 140, when they themselves have been into triple digit territory also. when someone is out in the middle of nowhere and they want to see what there car does, so be it. properly set up cars can handle incredible rates of speed these days, safely. if you don't want to be one of them that's out there doing so, fine.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: Top speed (cyclinboy)

ahhh... try not to take me too seriously, just every time i look for mk4 info, it seems I have to read through pages of arguments and whinning, and people trying to sound like they know it all. no big deal. I'm over it already. no offense

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Re: Top speed (kevwithoutacorrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]mk4 owners bitch too much.... [HR][/HR]​
LOL ! so true

135 or 140mph is SO irrelevant. You'll hit that speed HOW many times in the ownership of your car ?? I had a Supra that hit an indicated 147mph. In 4 years of owning the car I did it twice, once to find out and once after some major engine repairs to see that it was still all there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.