VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a fill up this morning and after the fuel nozzle clicked signifying the tank was full, i was able to squeeze another full 2 gallons into the tank (a little at a time). With the limited range of this vehicle, I would love to continue this practice.
Couple of questions:
Outside of the obvious danger of spilling fuel on the car and the surrounding area, is there any damage that can be done to fuel system by doing this at each fill up?
Is the fuel tank truly 14.5 gallons or is it 14.5 with a spare gallon or so?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
uhh.. never do that again. When you top off, the gasoline can spill into other components and damage them. One of those components being the carbon filter which, when damaged, will hurt your engine's performance and result in bad mileage.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
uggghhhh....better go take the car to the dealer and have them look at that...

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Re: Topping of fuel tank harmful? (gvran71)

a little bit should not be a problem, but:
Quote, originally posted by gvran71 »
i was able to squeeze another full 2 gallons into the tank (a little at a time).

you know what volume is 2 gallons right?? Alot.
you should be OK, but to drive another 40-50 miles just save yourself the headache and just fill up as needed.
Are you sure you made it all fit?? No spill whatsoever? did you look under the car?? seems weird that a full 2 gallons would fit, unless the pump stopped short... my biggest fill up was close to 14 gallons and it was prety empty

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've done the same thing a couple of times. I was able to fit about two extra gallons as well. It extended my range considerably. I remember they did this on Top Gear when they were testing their A6 or A8 TDI to get extended range on that one "race."
I have not experienced any problems, or any spills. I highly doubt you can hurt a car by filling it with gas. All you are doing is filling the neck with fuel.... I don't see a problem with that.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The Charcoal Canister is attached to the fuel filler tube. If you top off the tank, you are likely to fill liquid gas into the canister.
The charcoal normally absorbs fuel vapors and then engine vacuum draws the vapors into the intake to burn them off. If, however, liquid gas is in the canister, the engine vacuum will suck it directly into the intake and foul your plugs. In fact, you'll likely lose fuel mileage because of this.
Be smart. Don't be lazy. Don't top off your gas tank.
- Jeremy -

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Possible hijacking of thread alert.......
A few times I've noticed that my R seems to stink up the garage with the smell of gasoline...
Latest was last night. I had a good old time with the folks on the Leavenworth Drive:
http://leavenworthdrive.com/index.asp
and came home after a hard drive with a nearly empty tank. It was hot out (for here); 100 F in Leavenworth, about 90 F at home.
Last night and this morning, the garage smelled strongly of gasoline. I store extra gasoline in there (for a generator and lawn implements), but the strong smell seems to track to spirited driving of my R32.
Any thoughts? I was wondering if this charcoal recycle thing sometimes gets overwhelmed and outgasses.

236 Posts
Re: Topping of fuel tank harmful? (Mr_Peach)

Quote, originally posted by Mr_Peach »
Possible hijacking of thread alert.......
A few times I've noticed that my R seems to stink up the garage with the smell of gasoline...
Latest was last night. I had a good old time with the folks on the Leavenworth Drive:
http://leavenworthdrive.com/index.asp
and came home after a hard drive with a nearly empty tank. It was hot out (for here); 100 F in Leavenworth, about 90 F at home.
Last night and this morning, the garage smelled strongly of gasoline. I store extra gasoline in there (for a generator and lawn implements), but the strong smell seems to track to spirited driving of my R32.
Any thoughts? I was wondering if this charcoal recycle thing sometimes gets overwhelmed and outgasses.

I think someone is stealing your gas at night.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I will stop topping off, but I noticed nothing amiss with the car.
As a matter of fact, on that tank, i took a small trip at 61 miles per hour and got 29 miles per gallon. Thanks for the good advise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I am the same. My car hasn't done anything weird when I filled it up. My car usually averages 26mpg, but I have gotten it into the high high twenties and low thirties on a regular basis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: (Ikey3125)

Don't top off tank with extra pulls of the trigger. Will lead to new charcoal canister installation.... We have done two jobs at our dealership already. The trigger clicks off on the gas handle for a reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts