VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since nobody really knows whether the R32 came with mineral or synthetic, what are you using to top off before the 1st oil change, (assuming there was some usage)?
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Topping off oil ... (noka648)

According to others, the car came with synthetic. This is made under the assumption that the suggested oil weight, 5W-40, only comes in synthetic. Anyways, mixing oil types is acceptable...no harm done.
My car hasn't used any oil in 3500 miles, but if it did, I would just put in some synthetic 5W-40 without thinking twice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

my first oil change is tomorrow, i'm taking the car to the dealer. when i made the appt i talked to the service mgr i asked him does this car come with synthetic or regular oil? he said the r32 uses regular oil, go figure.... because i heard somebody said here at vortex it comes with synthetic oil, but i'll go with what the dealer said.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Topping off oil ... (agomez3)

I really believe nobody here knows for certain - only opinions. The owner's manual says to use 5W-40, or 5W-30 if that is not available and also mentions synthetic, but does not tell you what the factory filled it with.
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

The properties of synthetic oil is 100xs better than any dino oil.
Mixing oil does not have any bad effects but I would recommend against it due weight properties, unless you are running really low.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Topping off oil ... (NiteQwill)

Quote, originally posted by NiteQwill »
The properties of synthetic oil is 100xs better than any dino oil.

... but as some people have noted, that may not be true during break-in period w.r.t. rings seating, etc.
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

True. Generally, car manufactures have a specific break-in oil that is shipped with each vehicle to properly seat rings and seals. Honda is popular for this because I had a extra quart of Honda/Acura "break-in oil 5w20" (exactly what it said on the label, stating: do not use if your vehicle has more than 7500 miles) when I bought my car.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Topping off oil ... (NiteQwill)

I think you are right anyway. A good synthetic for topping off probably can't really hurt. Still, just in case they filled with mineral, I'll probably get a quart of 5W-30 mineral and top off with that. Maybe even do a 1st oil change at 2K-mi with mineral oil, to flush. Then at 5K-mi switch to synthetic. Sounds like a plan.

Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
4,678 Posts

For whatever it's worth, the manual says to use a "synthetic-based" oil, which would seem to rule out petroleum-based oil. And "mineral oil" is for cleaning wood.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Topping off oil ... (Kenji)

Thanks for the info. Since the manual also says that you can use petroleum (i.e. "mineral-based") or synthetic oil for topping off between changes, I guess it's a toss of the coin.

Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
174 Posts

VW mech friend of mine told me R32's do NOT come with synthetic from factory. I topped off mine with synthetic thou since that's all I had at the time.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Topping off oil ... (PLDUB)

I think it depends on who you ask, what your read and what you believe. If you believe the Owner's Manual is correct when it states car came pre-filled with 5W-40, and if you believe that 5W-40 weight is only available as synthetic, then it came filled from the factory with synthetic. Otherwise, not.

Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (UncleBens)

Quote, originally posted by UncleBens »
The R32 uses the same oil as every other VW.

I do not believe that would be correct (e.g. my wife's 99.5 Golf 2.0 was not delivered with synthetic and does not require synthetic. Apparently, the R32 is delivered with synthetic and it is recommended. The TDI models are delivered with synthetic and require it. So it would depend on what model and year).
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

IMHO, a close reading of the manual strongly implies that the R comes with mineral oil from the factory. This is also what my dealer said. What's more, my dealer's "shop oil" is mineral. You have to ask for and pay extra for synthetic if you take your R in for an oil change.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Topping off oil ... (R2-32)

I guess it's open to more interpretation. The manual encourages to use synthetic. It says it was factory filled with 5W-40. Have you ever seen that weight in petroleum based oil? I have not.
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Re: (noka648)

Quote, originally posted by noka648 »

I do not believe that would be correct (e.g. my wife's 99.5 Golf 2.0 was not delivered with synthetic and does not require synthetic. Apparently, the R32 is delivered with synthetic and it is recommended. The TDI models are delivered with synthetic and require it. So it would depend on what model and year).
Rgds,
Norm

My point was that it is not delivered with synthetic, which it is not.
On the other hand, you're correct about the TDI.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

I took my car for the first service today. the service manager said to me the R32 only takes synthetic oil. But when i made the appt he said regular oil, he apologyzed, he made a mistake,this was the 1st R32 he was servicing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote, originally posted by UncleBens »
My point was that it is not delivered with synthetic, which it is not.

On what basis are you making the claim that the R32 is not delivered with synthetic? Are you saying the Owner's Manual is incorrect?
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
14,345 Posts

The car comes prefilled with a synthetic from the factory. There was a list of oils that VW puts into new cars, but I don't have the URL on hand right now.
You can top up with a good oil of your choice, as they are fully compatible. I recommend toppng up with a 40-weight synthetic, say 5W-40 or 10W-40.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts