VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Better late than never, I guess... I've been meaning to throw together a "build thread" for a long time now, but never got around to it.

I ordered my 2012 loaded 4-door in Candy White right after ordering was made available. I spent the next 4 months absorbing everything available online about the car. After tracking my car across the ocean & through the Panama Canal, I picked up my R on 3/3/12. It was a giddy day all around to say the least. It was one of the first few Rs in the area, so the guys at the dealership were all taking pictures & asking questions, which made it feel even more special.
I put around 13k on it in the first year. I love it as much today as I did that first drive home. The car was great stock, but as with most people on here, stock isn't good enough. I've been slowly adding on parts to make it my own.
Here's my journey (so far)...

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE:

• Dieselgeek SS -- (05/2012)
  • EvoMS Intake -- (11/2012)
  • Oil filler neck delete -- (11/2012)
  • Magnaflow Catback -- (11/2012)
  • APR HPFP -- (04/2013)
  • APR Stage 1+ tune -- (04/2013)
  • Clutchmaster FX350 w/ steel SMF -- (10/2013)
  • 42 Draft Designs DP (catted / resonated) -- (10/2013)
  • APR Stage 2+ tune (3.31) -- (10/2013)
  • HPA Core Interlock mount - red puck (75a) -- (12/2013)

HANDLING/BRAKING:

• Neuspeed RSe12 -- (08/2012)
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sports – 225/40/18 -- (08/2012)
  • Neuspeed Sport Springs -- (01/2013)
  • Neuspeed 25mm Rear Sway -- (04/2013)
  • Neuspeed Sway End Links -- (04/2013)
  • HPA Haldex Competition Controller -- (04/2013)
  • Porsche Brembo 6 piston 18z Calipers, powdercoated Blood Red -- (02/2014)
  • Rear calipers powdercoated to match -- (02/2014)
  • StopTech SS brake lines Front & Rear -- (02/2014)
  • Adam's rotors, slotted & dimpled, 350mm Front & 310mm Rear -- (02/2014)
  • CarboTech 1521 brake pads -- (02/2014)

EXTERIOR:

• 20% tint -- (06/2012)
  • Piano Black front emblem -- (06/2012)
  • Colormatch CW rear emblem -- (06/2012)
  • USMillworks mount -- (06/2012)
  • Smoked sidemarkers, rear reflectors, 3rd brake light -- (06/2012)
  • R License plate frame -- (07/2012)
  • Smoked OEM taillights -- (07/2012)
  • LED City lights -- (10/2012)
  • LED puddle lights -- (01/2013)
  • OEM Aespherical mirrors -- (01/2013)
  • OEM LED Tails -- (03/2013)
  • Color matched CW side markers -- (08/2013)
  • Gloss black rear emblem insert -- (12/2013)

INTERIOR:

• LED lighting -- (03/2012)
  • Visor warning sticker delete -- (03/2012)
  • Underseat drawers -- (05/2012)
  • Soundaktor delete -- (08/2012)
  • Hardwired Bel GX65, Blendmount, stealth mute button -- (05/2012)
  • Bold-Sport R seat handle inserts -- (12/2012)
  • Audi S-Line shifter & boot -- (01/2013)
  • CarStyle4you R-button -- (01/2013)
  • R Mojo Mats -- (04/2013)
  • Chrome Euro Headlight Switch -- (01/2014)

VCDS TWEAKS:

• Comfort auto up/down windows
  • 4 blink comfort turn signal
  • Coded for LED tails (side benefit of no bulb out error without sidemarker)
  • Full ESC defeat
  • Full brightness LED DRLs in parking setting on euro switch
  • DRLs remain on with parking brake engaged
  • Hill Hold Assist de-activated

PLANNED:

• Boost gauge - New South vent mount
  • Coilovers? - The springs are good, but not ideal. Not set on anything yet...
  • Intercooler - The Neuspeed unit looks amazing
  • Tires & Tracktime! :D

AS IT SITS NOW: (02/2014)

R Glamour Shot!

PROGRESS PICTURES THAT I HAVE (in chronological order):

The day I picked it up:

First mod - the night I brought it home - LED interior lights:

Tint - 20%:

Piano black front, color-match rear emblems:

Smoked sidemarkers, rear reflectors, 3rd brake light & OEM tails:

Neuspeed RSe12s with Michelin PSS 225/40/18:

City lights:

EvoMS intake, oil filler neck delete:

Magnaflow catback:

Audi S-Line shifter/boot, R button - radar detector mute:

OEM LED tails:

Neuspeed 25mm rear sway & end links:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like that catback?
I like it a lot. It sounds good, but is never intrusive (this is with the stock DP). It opens up nicely when you step on it. Also, the tips perfectly follow the angle of the valence, which is nice.

I made a little video when I first got it to give you an idea of the sound: (I'm planning on making a newer video one of these days, now that I have the intake & tune.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had the magnaflow catback on for about 2 weeks. Love the sound and look. And there's practically no drone at cruising speed.

How do you like the neuspeed springs? I'm debating on which springs to get. h&r, vwr or neuspeed.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the magnaflow catback on for about 2 weeks. Love the sound and look. And there's practically no drone at cruising speed.

How do you like the neuspeed springs? I'm debating on which springs to get. h&r, vwr or neuspeed.
I like the springs quite a bit. The ride is nice & the drop is perfect, IMO.
They do seem to bottom out more than I would like, especially when driving on bumpy / wavy mountain roads, but all in all I'm happy. It's also a bit of checks & balances" for me, because I know that if I put coils on, the car would be on its belly. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I cancelled my appointment for the tune. No point in rushing to buy a tune when I haven't made up my mind yet. If I go APR I can get in on a future sale... maybe Fastivus?

I'm getting LED tails to hold me over :cool:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Glad to see you've made a build thread!

you going to fastivus this year? it would be cool to hang with ya again, and as far as your boost gauge.... go TRUE BLUE i just picked one up and they are really really high quality, much better then new south

car looks GREAT BTW, and you have surpassed me in mods for sure!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to see you've made a build thread!

you going to fastivus this year? it would be cool to hang with ya again, and as far as your boost gauge.... go TRUE BLUE i just picked one up and they are really really high quality, much better then new south

car looks GREAT BTW, and you have surpassed me in mods for sure!
Thanks! :beer:
I will definitely be at Fastivus this year! I've been (im)patiently waiting for the registration thread to show up for 2 months now :laugh:
It will be cool to hang out again. If I don't have a boost gauge by then, I'll have to check out your Podi.
I'm actually pretty excited about it being at WS again... I can see how much better the car is on track with the mods I've done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a set of sidemarkers sitting around that I bought a few months ago. Finally got around to getting them color matched. I wet-sanded the raised text to smooth them out, then got them painted. I'm very happy with the result. :thumbup: (User Axl Rose did the paint work).
Since I have LED tails, I just removed the bulb & reconnected the bulb housing to the new sidemarkers. No bulb out error. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car is at the shop getting a Clutchmaster FX350 clutch kit installed.

After getting my 1+ tune, the car made it about 2 weeks before it started slipping. It got worse & worse over the next 6 months where finally it got to the point that it would slip in 4th, 5th, 6th at pretty much anything between 3k & 5k at WOT. Getting on the freeway was pretty frustrating.

I'm going to have some very soft driving ahead of me for the clutch break-in period, but I'm definitely taking it easy to make sure it properly breaks in. I'll post a review of the clutch when I have some good seat time with it after that 500 miles, when I can really see how it does. :thumbup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I have a few updates.

My CM FX350 clutch is in, and I'm really liking it so far. I've still got 300 miles to go on break-in, but it feels pretty amazing so far. The engagement point is much closer to the carpet, which I like. Also, the engagement happens in about an inch of pedal travel. So as you're upshifting, the second you start start lifting the clutch off of the floor, you're pretty much already in gear. It feels so immediate and smooth that you don't even notice the change. On downshifts with a throttle blip, the gear just "snicks" into place without any drama whatsoever. No lurch, just a smooth actuation.
I'm VERY much looking forward to having 500 miles on it, so I can see what it can really do.

Also, I installed a 42dd catted / resonated DP to go with my Magnaflow catback. I was weary of this combo, as I've heard so many horror stories about drone, overbearing loudness, etc, but I'm really happy with the result.
I wrote up a longer review here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6142042-Anyone-with-the-magnaflow-exhaust-w-catted-and-res-downpipe&p=83304421&viewfull=1#post83304421

Once my clutch is broken in, I'm making an appointment to get my stage 1+ tune updated to the new 3.31 2+. Suffice to say, I'm REALLY looking forward to that! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My car is at the shop getting a Clutchmaster FX350 clutch kit installed.

After getting my 1+ tune, the car made it about 2 weeks before it started slipping. It got worse & worse over the next 6 months where finally it got to the point that it would slip in 4th, 5th, 6th at pretty much anything between 3k & 5k at WOT. Getting on the freeway was pretty frustrating.

I'm going to have some very soft driving ahead of me for the clutch break-in period, but I'm definitely taking it easy to make sure it properly breaks in. I'll post a review of the clutch when I have some good seat time with it after that 500 miles, when I can really see how it does. :thumbup:

Nice review. I got a FX350 clutch waiting to be installed as well. How's the single mass flywheel?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice review. I got a FX350 clutch waiting to be installed as well. How's the single mass flywheel?
I've got no complaints. If you are super-sensitive to sounds, then you will have to deal with the chatter. It is there under deceleration, and there's some while idling. It will get louder with the a/c on, as well.
I heard the chatter when listening for it, but it's not invasive. There might be a bit more vibration through the shifter, also, but it's not bad. All in all, I'm very happy with the FX350.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a fun couple of days with the R. Fast-tracked my 500 mile clutch break-in, so that I could get my 2+ flash done this morning. Took a 4.5 hour, 170 mile "detour" on the way home from work last night... :laugh: Towards the end of that I crossed over the 500 mile mark, so I got to open it up a bit & hear the exhaust at full song. I like it. A lot.

I had my car flashed, and had some fun on the way home. It pulls all the way to redline, now. Hard. I was stuck behind someone on the freeway at 7 under the limit, then was able to get around him & had open road to let it rip. In 4th gear around 60 I got on it, and it just went. Powered all the way to redline at around 100 (freeway was in Mexico). It put a huge stupid grin on my face.
I'm going to need to play with it more to see how it responds in different scenarios, but so far, it feels great.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.