VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Rabbit Diesel or early Golf II Diesel as a beater. Problem is, I know nothing about earlier water cooled dubs. What years were the diesel available in the Rabbit? Was it ever available with a turbodiesel like the Jetta I was? What are some specific things to look out for? And finally, what are going prices for these things?
Also, what year did Rabbits change to the "Americanized" style with square headlights and long tail lights? I want an older one with the round lights.
Thanks in advance!

[Modified by edkim, 9:16 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Re: TOTAL Newbie q's - Rabbit Diesel - HELP!!! (edkim)

A Wise man you are! Get a '79 or older Diesel Rabbit. '79 is the last German built Diesel (round headlights) and they're built much better than the US cars. I have books and road tests to back me on this one. I don't know that a TurboDiesel Rabbit was available. I believe a Jetta was but I don't think the hatchback had it until the A2 came out. I have a '79 Diesel Rabbit and I love it! It's the MOST reliable car I've ever owned. Other than cosmetics I've replaced a small bolt up exhaust piece and the battery in the last 2 years and put near 50k miles on it. Not to mention I get near 50MPG! Great Car! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif - John

·
Registered
10,117 Posts
Re: TOTAL Newbie q's - Rabbit Diesel - HELP!!! (edkim)

As the owner of practically ever VW diesel that has ever been made (rabbit diesel, A1 jetta diesel, A1 jetta TD, A2 jetta diesel, A3 golf TD, Vanagon diesel, A4 golf TDI--should've never sold that one
--) I think I can assist you.
Rabbit diesels are fairly common and are solid as a rock but they never came with a turbo. The Jettas did and I'm telling you, that 16 more horsepower makes all the difference. A2s came with both NA diesel and turbo, get the turbo. The added weight of the A2 chassis would make driving a normally aspirated (52 hp) diesel a painful experience.
That, and the turbodiesel easily lends itself to tuning. Just slap together a junkyard intercooler, add a bigger exhaust and a filter to help the turbo spool easier, and then you can fiddle with the fuelling for some smoky fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.