VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wat are the differences if any between the 04 r32 engine and 05+ touareg 3.2 its not an fsi motor. other then oil pan and valve cover are these 2 motors idenical. block for block is it all the same. i blew the motor in my r32 and found a mint touareg motor but i need to know if there ANY difference between the 2.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Re: touareg 3.2 and r32 motor comparison HELP!!!!!!! (fukndubn96)

DAMN- I WISH I KNEW!!! but! an 04 r32 body with a touarag swap AWD would be dope http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: touareg 3.2 and r32 motor comparison HELP!!!!!!! (fukndubn96)

i would say pick up the block code off of the tourag and compate it to the block code on your r32 motor. also calling any dealership is helpful. i have asked them similar questions reguarding coil packs and they were the same

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
the lower cam chain cover is different and will prevent you from fitting an 02A gearbox without modifying it, or replacing it with an r32 cover.
I have "heard" that the cams are much milder, and thus better for forced induction, but i don't have anything to confirm this.

·
Registered
37,708 Posts
Re: (phatvr6)

Quote, originally posted by phatvr6 »
the lower cam chain cover is different and will prevent you from fitting an 02A gearbox without modifying it, or replacing it with an r32 cover.
I have "heard" that the cams are much milder, and thus better for forced induction, but i don't have anything to confirm this.

The lower cover is different but still clears the 02A. Not sure about the cams though.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
i think ones AWD Stock the r32 and the is a Crossover with AWD to the r32 better by far because the cross overs have alot of emission control crap causing lose in power

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Re: (Mk3TG)

Quote, originally posted by Mk3TG »
i think ones AWD Stock the r32 and the is a Crossover with AWD to the r32 better by far because the cross overs have alot of emission control crap causing lose in power

WTF? Is this even english?
Kids, this is a main reason why you shouldn't take drugs!!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
no no
R32 is far faster it doesnt have as many emission contro, factors that take away from the performance factor
VS.
the touareg 3.2 a similar engine but has alot of factors that take away from its power the emssion control factor in crossovers because newer car require it dont use all the power they can because of the limitaion of factors to keep it on the road
bother are very similar blocks
2006 Volkswagen Touareg 3.2L V6
3.2 Liter Engine: V6
Specifications

Type
Gas

Number of Cylinders

Cylinder Configuration
Vee

Number of Valves

Displacement
3.2L (3,200 cc)

Fuel Capacity
26 Gallons

Compression Ratio
11.30:1

Camshaft Configuration
DOHC

Horsepower
240 @ 6000 rpm

Torque
229 @ 3200 rpm

Fuel Delivery Name
SFI

Bore x Stroke
3.31 x 3.78

The R32

3,189 cc 3.2 liters V 6 front engine with 84.0 mm bore, 95.9 mm stroke, 10.9 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder
• Premium unleaded fuel 91
• Multi-point injection fuel system
• 14.5 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank 12.1
• Power: 186 kW , 250 HP SAE @ 6,300 rpm; 236 ft lb , 320 Nm @ 2,500 rpm

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
touareg block is missing three engine mounth holes on the passenger side of the block.
Resurrecting old thread.. I'm looking for confirmation of the above. I don't car about tune, cams, etc.. My plan is to find a short block to rebuild for boost without the down time on my R. So the missing engine mount holes on the block would rule out the Touareg 3.2. Searching online 04 R32 motor go for twice the price as 04 3.2 Touareg motors. :(

·
Registered
668 Posts
Resurrecting old thread.. I'm looking for confirmation of the above. I don't car about tune, cams, etc.. My plan is to find a short block to rebuild for boost without the down time on my R. So the missing engine mount holes on the block would rule out the Touareg 3.2. Searching online 04 R32 motor go for twice the price as 04 3.2 Touareg motors. :(
Take the bracket and bolts to a machine shop and have them drill and tap. If they aren't swamped they should have it back in a day or two.

If you want to go even cheaper you can go with a 24v 2.8 short block with a 3.2 head then up the boost to make up for lower displacement.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Take the bracket and bolts to a machine shop and have them drill and tap. If they aren't swamped they should have it back in a day or two.
..and block. Can you tap a cast block??

If you want to go even cheaper you can go with a 24v 2.8 short block with a 3.2 head then up the boost to make up for lower displacement.
Not looking for cheap necessarily. Just wanted to know why a 04 R used motor would be twice the price as an 04 Toureg, and what differences there may be. As long as the crank is the same, takes the same head and accessories, and can be mounted transfers I'm in. Seems there are 10x as many of the Toureg motors.. And my plan is to overbore the 3.2 anyway. In my dreams I swap a 3.6, but I already poured a metric ****ton of $$ into my 3.2 head and I don't want to toss that out.. Let be blow this one up first before wandering into 3.6 space.. :p

·
Registered
668 Posts
..and block. Can you tap a cast block??
Yes, forgot to include block. Bracket and block so they can line up the holes. Tapping is how all the threads are done on the block/head. They are probably done by machine vs by hand, but it's still tapped.

It would also be finished with a bottoming tap(right) instead of a taper or plug tap(left) since the hole is fairly shallow.

Not looking for cheap necessarily. Just wanted to know why a 04 R used motor would be twice the price as an 04 Toureg, and what differences there may be. As long as the crank is the same, takes the same head and accessories, and can be mounted transfers I'm in. Seems there are 10x as many of the Toureg motors.. And my plan is to overbore the 3.2 anyway. In my dreams I swap a 3.6, but I already poured a metric ****ton of $$ into my 3.2 head and I don't want to toss that out.. Let be blow this one up first before wandering into 3.6 space.. :p
The 2.8 is a bit stronger too. It runs M11 bolts/studs instead of the 3.2 M10.

If you're replacing a 3.2 the Touareg make sense. Just strip to a long block, tap the 3 mount holes and swap the R parts over, oil pan and pump too I think. Using it for a VR6 swap requires a lot more money/parts since everything is setup for longitudinal vs transverse.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Don't forget about other 3.2L engines found in an Mk1 Audi TT, Audi A3, VW Eos, Porsche Cayenne.
Keep in mind there is a vin split in 2008 for the crank pulley key way. Early cars used a square keyway where the later models use an oval keyway.
This only pertains if you happen to have aftermarket light weight crank pulley on your R32.

You don't have to do a full swap, like you said you only want the short block.

Watch out for damaged blocks, the motor mount boss will break in a frontal impact.

·
Registered
390 Posts
this thread is OLD AF but its one of the first hits that come up for differences between the blocks. I have multiples of each in my possession and have done a lot of 24v builds including hybrid builds... how here is a brain dump for the community... this is backed with hands-on-parts experience so if you disagree with some points, then you're probably wrong, sorry.

... in no particular order at all, and excluding FSI R32 in all cases:

1. blocks are same casting. touareg and other SUV 3.2's have the bosses for transverse mounting points on passenger side, but the holes are not drilled or tapped. it is 100% safe to do this yourself, just line it up carefully.
2. crankshafts are the same. actually side bar, but a 12v and a 24v (2.8) have same part number crankshaft, just different timing wheel. the 3.2 is obviously a larger crankshaft but with same wheel as 2.8 24v.
3. all vr6 engines use same main bearings and main bolts/studs.
4. all 12v/24v/r32 use same oil pump up to 2006 (and can exchange different pans) except the SUV's and phaetons which use a very deep pump to match their deep pans. Phaetons have less deep pans and fit audi longitudinal A4/S4 swaps perfectly without modifying and use a slightly different oil pump again. these are liquid diamond flavoured gold if you ever find one... sell it and buy a house with the proceeds, lol.
5. all VR6 blocks have the 'legacy mounts" which were originally mk3 rear block mounts, and are no longer legacy, as all modern VR6's in longitudinal applications are using these again... will be great for R44 future swaps into mk2's lol.
6. cams in all non-FSI R32 engines are the same... actually they are the same part numbers as 24v (BDF) and equivalent blocks too... no difference, sorry.
7. cylinder heads for all non-FSI R32 engines are 100% identical (at least in north america and my experience). fun fact... the intake flange on 3.2 is vertical... 2.8 has an angled inlet and is the real reason you cannot swap 2.8-3.2 intake manifolds... would either be an interference fit or put it up through the hood depending on what's swapping onto what... the flange itself is compatible for things like short runner intakes, but be aware that it will tilt up and closer to the head on a 24v 2.8... some fuel rails won't work like this.
8. knock sensors and crank position sensors on all 24v engines are the same.
9. valve covers on 2.8 and 3.2 (non-FSI) are all interchangeble, but have different brackets hanging off of them depending what they came on.
10. exhaust flanges for 2.8 and 3.2 are the same, but the 3.2 has 2x studs in a slightly different place. you can just drill for the difference in a swap... don't believe me? say i'm a liar haha... well the mk4 R32 and the 24v 2.8's share identical exhaust manifold part numbers, but the limited production R32 ones were modified and part number not changed... many aftermarket turbo exhaust manifolds are drilled for both. same goes for gaskets.
11. R32 uses smaller bodied spark plugs and ignition coils than almost every other modern water-cooled vw/audi. You need a smaller bodied spark plug removal tool, and 24v BDF coilpacks won't fit down into the holes.
12. mind blower.... ALL non-FSI vr6 connection rods are the same part number right back from AAA 12v up to BJS/BUB engines. same bearings, same rods. part numbers matching.
13. R32 has same coolant flange on head as touareg, except the small seperate nozzle to flow to bottom of rad is made as a mirror image for touareg as its hose runs along hte exhaust side of the engine to reach passenger side of SUV... in a pinch, you can still use it, just redrill holes (sketchy but would get a person home in a bind).
14. all non-FSI VR6 blocks use same lower timing chains, tension, guides right up to the intermediate shaft oil pump drive. rarely fail except where poor oiling is concerned.
15. the accessory bracket is very different between R32 and SUV 24v's... 100% incompatible between platform, but you can mount any type you want onto any 24v block. Ex: i have a touareg R32 with a mk4 bracket, and am building up a 2.8L with touareg bracket and accessories for a B6 S4 longitudinal swap lol.
16. ALL VR6 engines have identical crankshaft mounting face so any flywheel can go on any vr6....
17. NOT ALL vr6 engines have identical transmission mounting face... even within vr golf/jetta family there is a difference... automatic 24v engines 'sometimes' have one of the alignment pegs in a completely different and incompatible location outside of the 02m/02j/02a mounting area. can fix by removing the alignment peg... not ideal. i have never seen a touareg 3.2 that didn't match a FWD trans bellhousing which is good.
18. super-vr6-nerds will know that a mk5 R32 has a shallower oil pump and can be used to get extra clearance in a mk4/mk3/mk2 with a short pan. you can buy such a contraption for about $700 USD or buy a new mk3 steel pan, chop the bottom and weld is shorter.
19. R32 engines have a really really large oil cooler compared to 2.8L engines and will interchange for extra oil cooling on BDF turbo engines.
20. throttle bodies in mk4 R32 have coolant tempering lines, the SUV's do not. not sure on phaeton or passats.
21. VR5 (10v and 20v versions) in europe had an adapter plate between them and the transmissions in B4/b5 passats that were still longitudinal... this will bolt to every audi car chassis transmission there is in last 25 years+.... longitudinal swaps :) works on any vr6 with noted provision in #17 above.
22. vr5 driver's side (left) mount is a perfect fit for an audi a4/s4 longitudinal swap and has integrated oil cooler. the passenger side (right) is not as the vr6's lack special mounts the shorter vr5 has between oil pump drive boss and flywheel end... but its easy to manufacture at home.
23. R32 and touareg engines all have the same pistons, rings, valves, etc.
24. R32 and touareg engines have identical timing chain parts... zero difference between them. i have never confirmed if the camshaft timing wheels differ but will later today. 2.8 and 3.2 R32 are the same... never checked touareg in particular.
25. touareg 3.2's have plastic front main seal and some rear main seal flanges... form-fit-function identical, just different material of construction. this matches many newer VW/audi engines.
26. timing covers for 3.2 engines all fit between each other but some external features vary. i am not aware of any clearance issues with FWD transmissions but haven't confirmed all combos... i do know 12v covers need trimming to go on many audi transmissions.
27. valve covers vary in layout with a few different versions... mk4 R32 has low chain cover, pulley side PCV vent, chain side oil fill cap. touareg has high chain cover pulley side oil fill cap chain side PCV, mk5 r32/TTr32 has high chain cover, chain side fill and PCV (perfect for audi long swaps). all are interchangeable, some have benefits for certain swaps/hybrid builds.
28. 2.8 and mk4 have PCV on pulley end which needs long plastic PCV hoses which break with age. the touareg intake manifold has a short tiny little hose from chain side of valve cover right to backside of throttle body area. is cleaner and also doesn't fill up cyl 1, 2,3 with grime so much. many 24v 2.8 and 3.2 suffer from low compression on cyl 1-3 due to valve lip grime build-up.
29. touareg fuel rails are non-return rails (ie - only 1 supply line to it). mk4 R32 needs return loop rail, mk5 R32 does not.
29. touareg serpentine belt and crank pulley have 7-ribs... R32 has 6-ribs.

most of this is useless, but i am sure some of it will satisfy decision to use low-cost touareg 3.2's for transverse swaps :)

oh... yes, you absolutely can use a touareg 3.2 to swap into a golf/jetta. here is what you need to do:

1. tap 3x mounting holes into the bosses on the block.
2. swap oil pump and pan from R32 or 2.8 24v onto the touareg block
3. swap R32/24v exhaust manifolds (they point down, touareg points to side a bit) no change for a mk5 R32 to touareg
4. swap accessory bracket and accessories
5. swap R32 fuel rail onto touareg head
6. swap intake mani and valve cover if you want to keep same connections in the car as R32/24v/TT
7. swap coolant flange over thermostat
8. swap oil cooler assembly and hoses between block and cooler
9. swap crank pulley if you are bothered the touareg ones have 7-ribs...

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
2. crankshafts are the same. actually side bar, but a 12v and a 24v (2.8) have same part number crankshaft, just different timing wheel. the 3.2 is obviously a larger crankshaft but with same wheel as 2.8 24v.

VW went to cast crankshafts in the "later" 3.2. Hard to decipher when exactly, but it was sometime post mk4. Won't know unless you look at the crank. Should note the trigger wheels have same teeth just different bolt patterns. I'm using a 12v AAA crank with 24v BDF trigger wheel. Also, the crank pulley keyway changed in the "later" 3.2s.

6. cams in all non-FSI R32 engines are the same... actually they are the same part numbers as 24v (BDF) and equivalent blocks too... no difference, sorry.

intake cams are the same. The exhaust cam changed sometime in 05-06 for 3.2 engines when the VVT changed sometime in 05-07. This is a fact. I have both exhaust cams here. Check part number for 08 R32 and mk4 R32. They are different.

7. cylinder heads for all non-FSI R32 engines are 100% identical (at least in north america and my experience).

I wouldn't say identical.. but very similar. I know the mk5 r32 has 2 secondary air injection ports on the exhaust side of the head. Not to mention, the exhaust cam differences depending on year.

11. R32 uses smaller bodied spark plugs and ignition coils than almost every other modern water-cooled vw/audi. You need a smaller bodied spark plug removal tool, and 24v BDF coilpacks won't fit down into the holes.

My BDF coil packs fit fine into my 3.2 BUB head. I've read somewhere that mk4 r32 coil packs are too short for a BDF head.

14. all non-FSI VR6 blocks use same lower timing chains, tension, guides right up to the intermediate shaft oil pump drive. rarely fail except where poor oiling is concerned.

I've seen some "later" 3.2s don't have the intermediate shaft sprocket cover plate.

18. super-vr6-nerds will know that a mk5 R32 has a shallower oil pump and can be used to get extra clearance in a mk4/mk3/mk2 with a short pan. you can buy such a contraption for about $700 USD or buy a new mk3 steel pan, chop the bottom and weld is shorter.

later models have provision for oil level sensor

20. throttle bodies in mk4 R32 have coolant tempering lines, the SUV's do not. not sure on phaeton or passats.

A3 & EOS don't have them either

24. R32 and touareg engines have identical timing chain parts... zero difference between them. i have never confirmed if the camshaft timing wheels differ but will later today. 2.8 and 3.2 R32 are the same... never checked touareg in particular.

Again, sometime post mk4 the VVT was changed. This included a change in the camshaft position sensors, exhaust cam, cam gears/phasers, upper timing cover and the exhaust oil solenoid got a keyway in the connector/body. The VVT setup needs to pair with the motronic ecm. In my case with my 3.2/2.8 hybrid build, I started with a mk4 BDF & management. Picked up a 3.2 BUB head from an EOS with updated VVT. To make the BDF ecm happy I swapped over to the early style VVT and exhaust cam. If you're running stand alone this doesn't need to be done.

26. timing covers for 3.2 engines all fit between each other but some external features vary. i am not aware of any clearance issues with FWD transmissions but haven't confirmed all combos... i do know 12v covers need trimming to go on many audi transmissions.

upper timing covers vary depending on which version of the VVT. Reason for the change was because of the different sizes of the camshaft position sensors.
Good info here. Glad someone took the time to document this as these swaps/builds are becoming more and more common.

A few notes added above.

·
Registered
390 Posts
interesting updates! thanks. i haven't seen one of the touareg's with the different exhaust cam but that does explain why laster non-fsi exhaust adjuster is different as you say.

you have a lot of info on the timing differences for later 3.2's that wicked. for mk2/3/4 swaps you can just use BDF cams/adjusters and covers/solenoids etc to build it like a BJS R32... simplest route and that stuff is fairly easy to get ahold of compared to BJS.

I tore open a touareg BMX 3.2 this week and it has same cams, adjusters and solenoid stuff as a BDF/BJS, so for me its golden for a swap. There are lots of BMX codes in the SUV's!

If anyone else has other details, please update.... even if some things turn out to be not 100% accurate, it'll get flushed out and will still clear up 99% of most questions people have about these swap varieties.

I will be drilling and tapping my BMX block for 11mm BDF head studs (eurospec stud kit) this weekend and tapping the 3x passenger side mk4 mounting holes and will do up a thread for it... i think that's a scary item for many folks, but its honestly not a big job for a careful hand. I will be making a blueprint diagram for exactly where to center-drill the 3x mount holes referenced from the crank pulley and other notable features on the block -- have a BDF tore down next to it to do some very detailed measurements from.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts