VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've installed both touareg 3.2 and audi tt 3.2 longbocks into mk4 r32s one belonged to me and one was a friends car. In both we swapped the oil pan and cams. Both times they where performance cams. The tt ran fine with audi cams but was giving us a cam position code but sounded fine and drove fine. Once we swapped his cams the code went away. The touareg motor , I replaced the cams before I started the engine for the first time also got a tap for the mounts that doesnt allow for it to bottom out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm doing another touareg 3.2 motor into my r32t and took a few pictures. Long story short I blew up my motor and cracked a few pistons. So I got a low milage touareg motor and making the swap. This is the second touareg motor I've done and will also be doing pistons , rods amd a bottom end refresh. The blocks are the exact same except for the passenger side motor mount. The spots are there just missing the holes for the three mount bolts. I used a 5/16 drill bit last before I started to tap the holes and a 1/8 pilot hole. Held the mount up marked the holes and drilled. Also a comparison with my mk5 r32 oil pump next to the stock touareg oil pump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I don't recall reading this anywhere, besides the conflicting info at the beginning of the thread, but I found out (the hard way) today that the Touareg lower timing chain cover (03H103173B) and transverse 24v covers (03H103173) are slightly different.

The red circled section is raised and when I mounted my 02J trans it would not fully seat on the alignment dowel/pin. Being the ape that I am I tightened it down and fractured it off, immediately realizing something was not right. Thankfully it fractured around the bolt so I should be safe.

It would have been nice to know to grind this flush with the block ahead of time, but hopefully I will save someone from the same mistake in the future. (y)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wiring harness and ecu? I have a 24v, what would I need to buy to do the BMX swap?
If you already have a 24v all you need is the bmx engine. Transfer all of your accessories. Transfer the oil pump, oil pan, oil filter housing, all the coolant flanges. Exhaust manifold. You don't need a 3.2 harness or ecu. The factory harness works if you extend the connector for the throttle body and change the vvt connector for the exhaust.
You can have your ecu re tuned for the 3.2 (I had United motorsports do mine)
Vehicle Car Hood Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ok thanks. Will the new connector match up and I'll just have to solder it together? Also I know the answer can vary, but roughly how long and how expensive was the tune?
Yeah the connector matches up and just needs connected. If I remember correctly the wires are even the same color. The tune was roughly $450 and took about 2 weeks including shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also planning to use a '06 Toureg 3.2L BMV code engine in place for my '05 Transporter T5 R32 V6 engine (BKK code). Do you know if the main block is the same?
We dont have those in the US so I can't say 100%, but I believe all 3.2 blocks are the same. There might be different accessory holes drilled out, but they'll have the bosses in place

·
Registered
155 Posts
Question about a 2004 Touareg 3.2 with 5th digit Vin "C" and later Touareg 3.2's are "G". Same 3.2 with VW playing with engine codea?? For a Mk4 GT overheated 2.8 swap. Appreciate any help. John R
Saw your post in my other thread... I have no clue honestly I did not realize that was a thing. VW's VIN sheet implies the G is only 240HP Golf/Jetta/GTI/R32 and the C is 220HP Touareg, but that's certainly not the case as both Touaregs I've dealt with are G's.

Do you have a Touareg with a C on your hands? What's the engine code, still BMX?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2004 Golf Gti VR6 with a severely overheated engine. Thinking it is best to find a 3.2 to replace it and naturaly
wanted one with the most HP. Investigation (wiki & others) shows the L7 Touareg 2002 thru 2004 is 220 hp "Vin C"and 2005 thru 2007 is 240 hp "Vin G". Wondering what actual difference there is between the engines. Found a supposed good, 80 k miles "C" at a reasonable price but would really like a "G".

·
Registered
155 Posts
Motor mounts, cams and cam adjusters are probably different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The way the engine mounts in a Touareg is certainly different and that's been outlined pretty well previously.

As far as cams and adjusters ETKA has no indication of that being the case. BAA vs. BMX has the same part numbers, besides a different piston part number between the two which is odd, and it seems generally accepted that all the 2003-2007 3.2/2.8 had the same cam and adjuster setup.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
As long as the 3 bolt holes are in the end of the block, it will bolt in. You will want to use MK4 accys and timing covers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Talked to a couple of tuners and looked at their published info. 2002 thru 2004 Touareg vin C get boosted to 240 hp but 2005 to 2007 vin G get boosted (all NA) to 260 hp. There has to be something different. Looks like I will have to carefully drill and tap 3 holes for the passenger side engine mount if I find a good longitudinal engine. Still need more tuner info whether it is better to get the ecu from the donor or try to flash the 2.8 ecu. Still researching!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts