VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've installed both touareg 3.2 and audi tt 3.2 longbocks into mk4 r32s one belonged to me and one was a friends car. In both we swapped the oil pan and cams. Both times they where performance cams. The tt ran fine with audi cams but was giving us a cam position code but sounded fine and drove fine. Once we swapped his cams the code went away. The touareg motor , I replaced the cams before I started the engine for the first time also got a tap for the mounts that doesnt allow for it to bottom out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm doing another touareg 3.2 motor into my r32t and took a few pictures. Long story short I blew up my motor and cracked a few pistons. So I got a low milage touareg motor and making the swap. This is the second touareg motor I've done and will also be doing pistons , rods amd a bottom end refresh. The blocks are the exact same except for the passenger side motor mount. The spots are there just missing the holes for the three mount bolts. I used a 5/16 drill bit last before I started to tap the holes and a 1/8 pilot hole. Held the mount up marked the holes and drilled. Also a comparison with my mk5 r32 oil pump next to the stock touareg oil pump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I don't recall reading this anywhere, besides the conflicting info at the beginning of the thread, but I found out (the hard way) today that the Touareg lower timing chain cover (03H103173B) and transverse 24v covers (03H103173) are slightly different.

The red circled section is raised and when I mounted my 02J trans it would not fully seat on the alignment dowel/pin. Being the ape that I am I tightened it down and fractured it off, immediately realizing something was not right. Thankfully it fractured around the bolt so I should be safe.

It would have been nice to know to grind this flush with the block ahead of time, but hopefully I will save someone from the same mistake in the future. (y)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts