VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touch Motion AWD Programmer helps to unleash 25HP on HPA’s FT600

For the past year, customers have been raving about the flexibility the TMAP infuses into the early MK4 chassis. Here is an example of how using the TMAP to manipulate power distribution can reduce drivetrain loss, optimize power delivery, and unleash more power for a faster trap speed.

We recently prepared our (soon to be released) FT600 single turbo MK4 R32 for 2 days of track competition down in LA. This car was fit with front and rear differentials and we were tuning it for a drag racing event.

With the TMAP set in the Race-Speed mode, we are able to specify how much torque transfer to apply to the rear axle under different speeds. We wanted to launch the car with as much power to the rear wheels as possible for best traction off the line. For straight line racing, after reaching 60mph the car is stable enough in FWD to allow us to disengage the rear and max out the HP for the big long run to the timing lights.

You can see from these graphs from our AWD Superflow dyno how the total wheel HP is delivered between the front and rear wheels. By dropping off delivery to the rear we gain an instant correlation in HP as the load on the engine is reduced.

The result is that by manipulating the rear drive engagement we were able to find 25 additional HP; allowing the car to sail into the 120+ MPH trap speeds.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Missed the last thread :(

Soooooo, if I'm reading this right basically you make the car almost all FWD after 60mph? Yea I can see how this would show higher numbers.

Any real drag race results to show stock controller ET and trap speed vs this manipulated ET and trap speed.

Looks to me like the tmap didn't find any more hp, it just created less drive line loss by making it all fwd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Hmm LOL. I trap mid to high 120's with my turbo R with a completely stock haldex and stock internal transmission.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missed the last thread :(

Soooooo, if I'm reading this right basically you make the car almost all FWD after 60mph? Yea I can see how this would show higher numbers.

Any real drag race results to show stock controller ET and trap speed vs this manipulated ET and trap speed.

Looks to me like the tmap didn't find any more hp, it just created less drive line loss by making it all fwd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, using the TMAP you can aggressively shift the behavior at the rear axle. The OEM controller is slow to deliver TQ where the TMAP is nearly instant so in drag racing, you can optimize the drive line for maximum HP while on the street or a road course you can dial back in as much rear TQ as possible/.

Its this flexibility that TMAP infuses into the MK4 that makes it so exciting and enjoyable as a driver as you can swing the balance in the car at the touch of your finger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts