VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Touch up Paint for the R32

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Jman5000 
#1 ·
Anyone know if there's a touch up paint pen available in the US for the R32? Seems there's one in the UK so I'm guessing there must be one for the US.http://www.tyresmoke.net/attachments/178549-paintpenr32.jpg

#8 ·
Got my touch-up paint, "deepblue perleffekt", in the mail finally. Every dealer I called locally didn't even have it in their system. Fortunately I was able to score some paint from a friend in Berlin. Guess they don't cary it took often in Germany either, the date on the touch-up paint box is 6/09! I'll post a pic on this thread as soon as I get the digital camera from the g-friend.

Modified by carma at 3:50 PM 7-3-2004

#9 ·
Re: Touch up Paint for the R32 (mark_R32_UK)

let me know how it turns out, i have the clear pro bra and I was going to install it this weekend and sure enough a bad stone chip RIGHT F***ING where the bra would have been, bent me sidways, anyway I dont really want to have to have the front blocked and the fender repainted if I don't need it....... Good luck and let us know

#11 ·
Re: Touch up Paint for the R32 (Back2Dubs)

Quote, originally posted by Back2Dubs »
Hmmm...I had no problem getting a small 'kit' which consisted of a small bottle of 'Reflex-Silver' touch-up paint and a bottle of clear coat from my local dealer.

Well yeah, of course not. Reflex Silver is the same color on a lot of VW cars. Try getting the Blue Pearl Effect color. Good luck. Anyway, I did a bit of work since I have a few small chips in the front. I also have the Langka blob remover whic (in theory) is suppose to smooth out the touch-up paint blob and make it flush with the rest of the paint around it. I've come to the conclusion after a bit of fiddling and fussing that fixing the paint on the body or frame of the car seems to work a lot better than the bumper (plastic). WHen working on the bumper I noticed a few of the blobs I tried to smooth out became noticeable chips agin with a small amount of the paint left in the chip, but not enough to make it flush with the paint around the chip. I think I gotta give a bunch of tries and maybe let it dry a lot longer than the suggested 10 minutes, and also try it on a hotter day. I was doing it on a cold misty/foggy day (typical for San Francisco in the summer).

#14 ·
Re: Touch up Paint for the R32 (jessla)

Quote, originally posted by jessla »
I got a pen from autovisuals......the Red was too dark. VW's pen was the right color.

I also got a pen from Autovisuals, for my blue R32. I got my first chip just about 1/4 inch above my clear bra
a couple of weeks ago, so I had a chance to use the pen.
NOT GOOD!--The color was way off, a much darker color than the deep blue pearl. I contacted them and they sent a new pen right away. In the meanwhile, I ordered some touchup paint from http://www.paintworldinc.com/ and the match was perfect, so I haven't tried to use the second Autovisuals pen.

#17 ·
Re: Touch up Paint for the R32 (woorob)

Quote, originally posted by woorob »
I bought touch-up paint for my blue R32 at the local dealer. The part # is LST-0P2-B5R and the list price is $12.12 (for two tubes, one in the R32's blue color and the other clear).

I'd say you're probably in the minority. I know in my area it's impossible to get this stuff locally (Bay Area).

#18 ·

on the advice of bmwdavid, I got my touch up pens from paintscratch.com. LB5R Deep Blue is listed as a Phaeton color. it's a perfect match. the site recommends you buy the clearcoat pen as well.
I recommend that you depress the pen tip on a heavy card or paper plate and apply to the car with a toothpick, because depressing the pen tip sometimes results in a small flood.

#20 ·

General FYI from a paint freak.
I tried the Autovisual pens too. My issue wasn't w/color. It was flow. You either got no paint or a flowing mess. I wanted to give them a benefit of the doubt and blamed the pen. They were cool and sent me 2x as many right away, but I still had the same results. Maybe it's my useage, but I'm no dummy when it comes to touchups.
If you get the nail polish can of touchup from the dealer, cut it with bodyshop paint reducer. It'll make it a ton thinner and easier to "flow" into chips, thus reducing the chances for paint blobs around a chip. You have to go back 2-3 times, but that's how you "build" a paint repair anyhow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.