VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 343 Posts

· Registered
22 XC40 EV, 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

...the towing range of the electric F-150 is dismal. In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles. Range improved when we hooked up a significantly lighter trailer, but not by as much as you might expect.
We had been warned to expect the range to be cut in half when towing, but the effect of towing these travel trailers proved even more significant. With the smallest and lightest trailer, we measured a range of just 115 miles. That figure fell to 100 miles with the middleweight camper and sank to a mere 90 miles with the 7,218-pound Grand Design trailer.

· Registered
2,721 Posts
Swappable battery packs seems like it would be the best case scenario for towing, at least with current battery tech.

· Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,904 Posts
That's rough.

· Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
8,038 Posts
Swappable battery packs seems like it would be the best case scenario for towing, at least with current battery tech.
I think that towing will still need to be handled by ICE vehicles until battery energy density gets closer to gasoline/diesel. Swapping batteries would have way too much overhead and would need way too much cooperation between manufacturers to work.

· Registered
22 XC40 EV, 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that towing will still need to be handled by ICE vehicles until battery energy density gets closer to gasoline/diesel. Swapping batteries would have way too much overhead and would need way too much cooperation between manufacturers to work.
And ideally you'd have to do it without unhooking the trailer.

· Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,904 Posts
And water is wet.

We all know that under towing conditions that battery life drops dramatically. Ford even tells you.

And as I've said in the past, Ford offers you 4 power options to meet your needs:

• diesel
  • gasoline
  • hybrid
  • electric.
Sure, but Ford's pitch is that this can replace your ICE F150. But if you are towing, it cannot (at least not very well).

I still like it, but this isn't great.

· Registered
8,849 Posts
Sure, but Ford's pitch is that this can replace your ICE F150. But if you are towing, it cannot (at least not very well).

I still like it, but this isn't great.
Can ALL of the 700k/year F-series buyers replace their ICE F150's with Lightnings? No. Can the 100k Gen X Dads that just use their trucks to cart their kids to school, go to the office and the gym and have never towed anything a day in their lives? Yes.

· Registered
10,580 Posts
I don't think this is a black and white "it can tow" or "it can't tow" situation.

The way I look at it, this is a Tesla Model S with a bed. If you want to use it as your daily vehicle, and towing is limited, then I see no issues despite the egregious range drop.

In my particular case, I would tow a boat with it, and I am about 45 minutes from the lake. I could easily see hauling it up there and back using a Lightning.

You have to make the call on whether this will suit your needs or not. I hope they have some tech changes coming that will increase the towing range.

· Premium Member
13,906 Posts
Can ALL of the 700k/year F-series buyers replace their ICE F150's with Lightnings? No. Can the 100k Gen X Dads that just use their trucks to cart their kids to school, go to the office and the gym and have never towed anything a day in their lives? Yes.
Agreed.... I'm in truck country; the newer + more expensive the truck the less likely it's gonna be towing anything. Still idiotic that people are buying these 6000lb bricks to commute and buy groceries but electrification is a step forward.

· Premium Member
13,906 Posts
I had wondered if not having a transmission was gonna kill the performance on the highway with a load. This answers my question.
No transmission has a lot less to do with that than these being 6000lb bricks. At highway speeds fuel consumption is damn near all aero.

Reactions: ValveCoverGasket

· Premium Member
6,000 Posts
Anything that is very energy intensive is going to wreck current gen EVs. They simply don’t have that much energy to work with compared to any ICE fuel tank. Most of their range is related to the EV machine’s inherent efficiency rolling down the road. This won’t change until price per KW and energy density improves several more fold and then you’ll have an unladen vehicle that will go absurd distances when not towing.

· Registered
LSA G8, TDI Rabbit, Lightning
11,385 Posts
You can charge these vehicles to 80% before you'd be done removing the old battery pack.

Such an antiquated thought.

· Registered
39,387 Posts
It depends on how far you're towing. If your towing is in-town, or say you store your boat 10 miles from the lake, you get your best range driving to the boat storage, then just tow the boat to/from the lake, and drive home without the boat again. "Towing" doesn't automatically mean you are driving from L.A. to Sacramento every day.

I view these as perfect for landscapers, plumbers, and other types of trades who have a 4000 pound trailer but might only cover 60 or 70 miles when going from house to house or home to the worksite in their local area over a full work day. Plenty of other uses are no doubt just like that.

· Registered
8,849 Posts
No transmission has a lot less to do with that than these being 6000lb bricks. At highway speeds fuel consumption is damn near all aero.
Yes. I said the same thing in a thread about the Rivian towing. They state the weight of the travel trailer and act like that's all that matters. It's literally an empty shell acting like a sail. Put 7k lbs of steel plates on a flat bed and repeat the test. I bet results will be much better.

1 - 20 of 343 Posts