VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to post this once, but I dont know where it went, so I apologize if this is a repost.
I may need to tow an 80 Quattro in the near future.
Can I tow it with a dolly(two wheels up, two on the ground) or does it HAVE to be be towed with a tow bar or on a flat bed? If I can just put the trans in neutral and use the dolly, i will, but I dont want to do anything that could damage the differentials.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
896 Posts
do not use a dolly, it'll wreck thecenter diff. because that drive-shaft spins wheather the car is in neutrul or not. You really shouldn't flat tow it either unless its a short distance. Only real safe way isa trailer or flat bed

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: Towing a Quattro? (Pijany)

Ideally, tow it on a trailer or flatbed.
If you can only get access to a dolly, then you're going to have to drop the center driveshaft infront of the rear diff.
Remove the 6 socket-headed cap screws, hit the flange a few times with a hammer, and it should fall right off. I've had to tow like this before. Also... expect that the SHCS's may be good and tight, as all the onces I've had to take out have had loc-tite red on them (the serious stuff). You may have to grind the sides of the head down so that you've got something flat to lock a pair of vice-grips onto (again... had to do that once). As for keeping the shaft from turning while loosening the bolts... bring along some socket extentions, and jam them in the U-joint so that they hit the frame and prevent the shaft from turning. Worked for me a few times, and especially handy if the rear axles have been removed or the ebrake doesn't work.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Re: Towing a Quattro? (Pijany)

Oh Christ not this again!

The farkin Bentley AND Owners manual both say it right there clear as day - you CAN tow with 2 wheels off the ground at a maximum of 30 miles an hour or up to 30 miles distance. Flatbedding is NOT required if you are just towing it around town. Of course I see nothing at all wrong with a flat-tow.
Everyone acts as if the quattro system is indestructable until its time to tow it, then they treat it like its made of glass.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Towing a Quattro? (billzcat1)

Well, when you put it like that, technically the other guys were right too, as I would be towing it across a few states...probably closer to 300 miles at 65mph.

In any event, I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Re: (skaterjay85)

The diff moves freely without wear but the constant motion of the differential does heat the fluid. 30 miles is apparently the point when they recommend a cool-down session.
Also, generalizing that all AWD cars require the same towing procedure is as ludicrous as saying all AWD cars are the same. Obviously a car with a viscous coupling center diff requires a different procedure than one with a Torsen or lockable diff, and different still that cars with clutch-pack differentials or Haldex.

Modified by billzcat1 at 11:11 AM 2-26-2006

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: (skaterjay85)

Would I be safe to guess this would apply to a 87 5000 quattro with a manual tranny too?
I strongly suspect you could safely flat tow your Quattro if you leave the engine running. However, if the engine dies, then so does the Quattro a few miles further down the road UNLESS you monitor the engine, like run wires from its battery to a voltmeter in the towing car to confirm that the battery voltage is staying at ~13.8V. Leave its parking lights on to drag the voltage down when the engine stops running - and to look like it is legal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.