VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to tow a jet ski / sea doo with my 03 jetta gls 1.8t (stock suspension).
i have talked to the dealer and one says sure you can, we can get you the part and install for $500 canadian plus tax. another dealer says "towing is not recommended by vw (you should go to uhaul - the guy actually said that)!
my questions are two fold... can this void my warranty... there is NOTHING about towing on http://www.vw.ca nor is there anything in my ownver's manual
second do i trust the u haul boys & girls to mess with my 03 ? where else should i go... the $500 plus tax sounds steep... Canadian Tire (in canada) quoted me $350 plus tax.
any help would be greatly appreciated (i've searched the forums as well!)
thx
adam

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: towing! help (adamk)

The owner's manual in my '03 says it can pull about 1000 lbs with a tongue weight of about 200 lbs. From what I've read on the TDIClub site, these numbers appear a bit conservative as many Europeans often tow much more. However, a serious adjustment in driving habits will be required. When the trailer weight approaches vehicle weight, you need to be extremely careful under braking. Especially going down hills.
Do a "towing" search on the tdiclub.com forums. There are a few good threads on the subject. Discussions about the various types of hitches available and how much the car can really tow...
$500 CAN sounds a tad steep, but not too far off for an installed price. I've been quoted about $300 USD or so around here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts