VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Toyota isn't yet confirming anything about the Yaris GR-4's powertrain, but what the company is showing looks very exciting. In the teaser video, the engine has a deep burble and seems to do an all-wheel-drive launch. A report from Japan suggests the hot hatch packs a turbocharged three-cylinder powerplant. However, there are also allegedly competition versions with a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder for the WRC R5 class and All Japan Rally Championship.
https://www.motor1.com/news/386025/toyota-yaris-gr-teaser-video/

Available to import to North America in 15-25 years.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hopefully they don't drag this out like the GR Supra.

Seems like it could be a really neat car.

·
Registered
19,735 Posts
Of course now that we won't get the real Yaris, they introduce one with an independent rear suspension

The hybrid has a double-wishbone rear end instead of adding it to the twist-beam — dang! So, eventually you know there is going to be a hotter version with the IRS that we will want.
Gimme

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
It's smaller than I'd want today, but you know, I think I'd take it anyway. That beastie looks FUN!

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,496 Posts
It's a tragedy this isn't coming to the US. :banghead:
People in the US "DoNt BUy mAnUaL cArS!!1!!eleventy"

Well yeah, taking away all the interesting stuff and leaving us with base engine Jettas and Kia rios aren't going to make miracles with sales :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts

Well yeah, taking away all the interesting stuff and leaving us with base engine Jettas and Kia rios aren't going to make miracles with sales :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I remember years back I was looking for a AWD Volvo V70. People from Volvo corporate said V70s don't sell but th AWD was the rage and they didn't offer AWD but used it to justify that it didn't sell well. Well, no duh if they only provide the trim that people don't want. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
8,246 Posts

I think most of the manual cars left are pretty interesting. Hot hatches, pony cars, Porsches....... could be worse but I agree that the dearth of fun manual sedans is sad.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,219 Posts
This thing is nuts, I love it. :)

Toyota GR Yaris hot hatch prototype early review

► We drive prototype of Toyota GR Yaris, on sale 2021
► Over 260bhp, 360lb ft from 1.6-litre turbo triple
► All-wheel drive and six-speed manual gearbox

Ahead of its official unveiling in Tokyo in January 2020, we have driven a prototype version of Toyota’s new hot hatch, the GR Yaris.

It’s an all-wheel-drive three-door, powered by a 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol triple. Power outputs are said to be around 260bhp and more than 260lb ft; Toyota claims it’s the most compact and most powerful 1.6 ever made. The gearbox is a six-speed manual.

There are no direct competitors, but its combination of light weight and high power means it will be competitive with some larger hot hatches. Expect it to be priced closer to the Honda Civic Type R than the Ford Fiesta ST, both of which are front-wheel drive, when it goes on sale towards the end of 2020. It will be a full production model, not a limited edition.

What makes a Toyota GR Yaris?
It’s an entirely new car, developed over three years and sharing very few components with the recently unveiled regular 2020 Yaris. It has several roles: sexing up Toyota’s largely frumpy image; re-energising Toyota’s engineers; and homologating the 2021 Yaris WRC car. Although the GR and the WRC car will be largely different under the skin, they will share the same general look, shape and size. Hence the three-door body and sloping roofline – 95mm lower at the rear – which gives the WRC aero team more scope to create an effective rear wing. ... https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/toyota/gr-yaris/

·
Registered
262 Posts

I mean, you can get the full 2.0T (GLI) Jetta with a manual still, not just the basic 1.4T or 1.8T. Though the DSG is faster, better/easier resale, ect. I blame the culture more than anything. Audi stopped offering manuals a while ago, BMW only offers them on a few (as apposed to an X3 on the E46 platform coming with a 6 speed in 2004)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I am absolutely smitten by this thing.

HOT HATCH HEAVEN!

Some nice raw footage:

at 3:16 shows reservoir for i/c spray next to rearmount battery

1 - 20 of 359 Posts