VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

301 - 320 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Much hated UK youtube personality Shmee decided to do up a YGR4 in tribute Castrol livery.

Wait. Why is shmeee not liked? Seems like a super cool car enthusiast.

As for the livery the Castrol is definitely Iconic. The Microsoft livery looks good on the yaris however I was more thrilled with Ogier's Championship run. He went from nearly retiring early 2020 and ended up winning the championship.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No doubt the Castrol livery is iconic and I do understand that Shmee did it purely for Sega Rally nostalgic sake so classic Celica choice makes sense, but in my opinion it just doesn't suit it very well, perhaps the Corolla style would mesh better in my eyes...

...but I'm just some dumb Yank on the internet who can't even get a Yaris GR-4 anyway so whatever. LOL

As for the dude himself being not liked --- well I guess all the usual suspects would apply:

So on and so forth, just a polarizing figure I suppose similar to many other youtube presenters who may actually be quite popular and have a following but get flamed from certain corners.

I think there's some who don't like his " affable toff " persona and also probably some jealousy as well.

Perhaps it's also a generational thing?

I'm Gen X and don't really get the whole vlogger thing so I'm the last person to be able to offer critique because I mainly only watch videos based on content as opposed to following branded channels with every episode, so I'm not really familiar enough with all that to really know what goes on.

Also,
I am a self-admitted curmudgeon nowadays and tend toward a cynical viewpoint in most cases. LOL

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Another example of white wheels.

Looks so much better than the stock black in my opinion.

UK owner fitted with Speedline Corse Turini:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I guess it is our appreciation for people's vision and hard work that makes us love the GR-4 Yaris. I cannot have one either and I don't think that is the point of car enthusiasm. I come here to unwind in my love for cars. Most people who can afford these cars wouldn't know the first thing about driving them or the heritage behind the idea. How the world rotates is funny like that (;

Honestly, that is why I like shmeee. It is no one's business how much shmeee Is worth or how he attained the money. I like his content because he has the knowledge and access to cars that many other YT personalities don't.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Crazy that Toyota went about 10 years without offering a car for enthusiasts. And when they really want to, they know how to make them. Wow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No doubt the Castrol livery is iconic and I do understand that Shmee did it purely for Sega Rally nostalgic sake so classic Celica choice makes sense, but in my opinion it just doesn't suit it very well, perhaps the Corolla style would mesh better in my eyes...

Much MUCH better.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I found the Top Gear review underwhelming like many other. Still waiting for a source to drop an off-road wheel/tire combination and do some spirited rallying.

·
Registered
S2000
7,369 Posts
If I have any complaint from the videos so far it's that the sound is lacking quite a bit. That should be remedied easily, especially given the fact that it's a 3cyl.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Every bloody day I get more angry and sad that this machine isn't coming to the States.
Me too. This thing would sell like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Is it really an issue with US regs? America is a huge market. I guess we don't like three-door hatchbacks anymore.:(

301 - 320 of 359 Posts