VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a couple of questions for my 2004 vw r32.

1. Currently I run hankook z214s 225/40/r18 on my 18x8 enkei rpf1 et 40. I want to run a 245/40/r18 to get more traction vs by bicicyle tires :p Im going back to street tires (bridgestone re-11s). Would these be able to be run safely without hitting fenders or struts?

Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
225/40-18 3.5in 12.5in 25.1in 78.8in 804 0.0%
245/40-18 3.9in 12.9in 25.7in 80.8in 784 2.5%

2. Are there any front camber solutions to get more camber?

I currently have bilsten pss's and camber plates from bluewater performance.

Thanks guys,

Erik

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
since you know what tire and size wheel you want, you may be better off posting this in the wheel and tire forum or the MKIV forum as people have had more experience with your car and wheels

:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I fit 275 Hoosier slicks on 10" wheels on my mkIV. They run 285 slicks on your car regularly at national events. You should have no prob with clearance, good luck.

I just got 285's on my mk VI GTI, great car for GS. You should think about a set if you really want to go fast, it helps control all the weight over the nose of that car.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
245/40/18 will rub. You need to drop the tire diameter down to 25 in or less anytime you want to run more than a 225 size tire, for complete clearance. 245/35/18 is the proper size. All nationally competitive cars are on tires that are shorter than 25" for reference. For track duty, a 285 can lead to more drag than grip and can potentially slow your overall time, depending on the course. Large tires can also act as a band aid for poor car control/setup, so I would not advise making the jump from a 225 to a 285, unless you are a high level driver with excellent car control. Rotating the car to its potential under 285s is also not as easy as it first sounds.

Coupled with the factory arm adjustments, any decent camber plate solution should be able to get you to about 3 degrees negative. You really don't need a lot more than that. If you are still having rotation issues, focus on setting up the rest of the car as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I made the jump to 285's just to be as fast as possible in GS. I happened to win PAX at the first event with the car. :D
BTW I currently run 245/40/18's on my street setup with 18x8's and only rub the fenders when hitting large bumps, I rolled the fender lips slightly to make it better, good luck.

the 245/35/18 would be better for not having to modify anything to fit

Contact me if you'd like some setup advice, I've built some very fast VW's in the past

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also for alignment my mkIV ran very fast with only -1.1 deg camber. the factory strut design does not allow much more. just move your factory lower ball joint adjuster all the way neg and equalize it from there. I wouldn't recommend the lower control arm extenders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts