VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my car to the track on the 18th (Homestead), and I was looking for some track pads such as the ones Hawk sells for track use only. They are inexpensive, and really only good for track.
That way, when I leave the track I can put my OEM ones back on for the OEM feel that is better for daily use. But I can't find these for sale anywhere. Then I started looking for brake pads of any kind for the MK7.
Apparently, with the exception of VW, no other company has these yet.

Does anyone know where I can find brake pads for the MK7?
I would like to have track pads if possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Might be too new at least in US. When this was the case with the revised rear caliper of MK6 I ended up getting mine through Carbotech, they can custom made pads they don't have stocks for. BUT be it as off the shelf or custom pads, Carbotech is pricy...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have both Carbotech AX60 and Hawk DTC-60 pads for my S2000. Both sets are aggressive enough to lathe my brake rotors and send rotor shavings onto my wheels, pitting the clearcoat. If you don't want to ruin the finish, plastidip your wheels. Before anyone comments, yes, I know how to bed my brakes but the pad transfer layer comes off as soon as your brakes cool down and you start driving on the street.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm taking my car to the track on the 18th (Homestead), and I was looking for some track pads such as the ones Hawk sells for track use only. They are inexpensive, and really only good for track.
That way, when I leave the track I can put my OEM ones back on for the OEM feel that is better for daily use. But I can't find these for sale anywhere. Then I started looking for brake pads of any kind for the MK7.
Apparently, with the exception of VW, no other company has these yet.

Does anyone know where I can find brake pads for the MK7?
I would like to have track pads if possible.

Thanks.
Endless. Great for street use too. Mx or me20. Pick the latter if you track the car plenty of times. The front pads are already launched (since the mk6 was out). I don't know about the rears in the NA GTIs though.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The best performance brake pad manufacturer hands down is Project Mu. You can order custom pad compounds and thicknesses through them. They manufacture pads for everything from F1 to WRC. They are made in Japan so they take a couple weeks to come in though. I have used everything from Hawk, EBC, Ferodo, Carbotech... Etc with my Brembo's and nothing touches what the Project Mu's are able to do. They have a few off the shelf items but a lot of them are made to order.

If your looking for cheap availble pads, the EBC Red and Yellow are okay for light duty track work. I will never use Hawk products again, I have gone through an entires sets of these in a single weekend and hated every minute of it. Unpredictable pedal braking and pedal feel throughout the short life of these pads. I have used the Hawk HP+, Blue, and HT... All of them went in the garbage the weekend I used them. They are the only pad manufacturer I do not suggest.

A few other things I would highly consider is more durable rotors, SS brake lines and a good brake fluid with boiling point over 525*F. Performance pads check through OEM rotors fast and can boil your fluid fast while causing expansion in your rubber lines.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Try www.zeckhausen.com. They don't show on the website but call and ask for Dave. He may know of a fit. He's excellent and honest. I also know him personally. Tell him Pablo sent you. I buy everything to do with brakes from him for Audi's, MB's, Jeep, Infiniti, etc. He's thinking of a MkVII by the way so he may know something not yet on the site.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Just had my Mk7 on the track last Monday here at Buttonwillow. Stock wheels, stock software, just coilovers. The stock brakes held up tremendously well. I was thoroughly impressed with their stopping abilities. No fade, no fluid boiling. Top speed reached on this track was 106mph. I instruct with Audi Club, so not a beginner at all. My normal car is a track prepped E30. While I'd probably recommend new brake pads for guys that go regularly, if you're relatively new at this, the stock brakes will do quite well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is really for anyone who has or plans on taking their golf to the track, mainly for club DE's. I will be ordering a new Golf R and it will be heading to the track often. I'm not a beginner, I currently take my BRZ and Cayman to the track but very excited to get back into a VW. Questions are...

What size wheels and tires are you using? (Without doing any modifications including spacers)
Anyone change out the brake rotors and or pads? If so, what have you tried?
Anything else you have changed or plan to change out before taking them to the track?

Also, does any company out there make a harness bar for the MKvii?

Thanks for any input.

Rob

·
Registered
762 Posts
...I would drive it stock first...learn the car. Spacers, if you ignore the potential bearing wear or the decrease in mechanical leverage on outer tie rods, can aid handling quite a bit if you are willing to plot the changes to static and dynamic roll centers, and the changes to camber curves. No need to worry about motion ratio problems up front, a mac strut has a near 1:1 motion ratio. increasing track width in the rear causes a loss of camber and toe compensation...so you have to correct this in the extreme. I am not sure about the rear motion ratio...but I'm not worried necessarily if you keep within say 10mm per side...as a guess.

All else including spring rates follow track width considerations, that is the most fundamental change that you can make. Too wide and you ruin responsiveness - as it relates to a slalom by comparison.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have not yet taken my MK7 out to the track, but I plan to (HPDE, not race). I have a bit of experience on the track, on four wheels and more recently on two.

With the MK7 was thinking it would be fun to run my first track day 100% stock but I don't think that will happen. The Pirelli tires are crap and I don't think the stock brake pads will hold up for a 20 min session, let alone all day. I seem to recall someone else on the board here who wrote about the stock pads failing miserably at a track day.

Wheels and Tires - I don't see the need to run anything bigger than stock, so 18x7.5 and 225/40 Pilot Super Sports or RE760s. Haven't decided yet.. need to read more reviews on the Bridgestones.

Pads - Not sure what pads are available on the market for the MK7 yet (EBC, others?). That aside, have been really happy with Hawk HPS pads on Brembo OEM replacement rotors on several street cars including my 530i, my other MKIV 1.8t, and an RSX-S. I'd like to give the HPS a shot on the track. They give a very linear feel and stop well, but lack the initial bite that I once liked very much on a set of old Axxis Ultimates I ran on an Integra GSR.

Rotors - I will choose Brembo OEM replacement rotors, and possibly a slotted option if I feel like splurging.

Suspension-wise I will be going with an OEM+ spring like Eibach Pro Kit, H&R OE Sport or the VWR. I will not be changing the stock dampers. I may consider sway bars depending on how balanced the car feels after driving it on the track.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is really for anyone who has or plans on taking their golf to the track, mainly for club DE's. I will be ordering a new Golf R and it will be heading to the track often. I'm not a beginner, I currently take my BRZ and Cayman to the track but very excited to get back into a VW. Questions are...

What size wheels and tires are you using? (Without doing any modifications including spacers)
Anyone change out the brake rotors and or pads? If so, what have you tried?
Anything else you have changed or plan to change out before taking them to the track?

Also, does any company out there make a harness bar for the MKvii?

Thanks for any input.

Rob
17 inch Team Dynamics ProRace (19lbs and very strong),no spacers required
R compound or street tire?
Depending on your driving style factory pads will be overworked as brake fluid also.
Tire size 225/45/17 or 235/45/17

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depending on your driving style factory pads will be overworked as brake fluid also.

Thanks for the input guys. I plan on putting super sports on the OEM wheels and a more aggressive tire on a set of track wheels. I will check out the Team Dynamics. I had OZ's on my Cayman for track wheels. Also strong and lightweight. I definitely plan on changing out brake fluid and pads before I take her to the track for the first time, just not which pads yet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I used a set of these on my 2005 track only JCW Mini for 5 years...super wheels. Although I use spacers with a calculated approach, I read your note about spacers with with some surprise...unless you purchase a wheel set with specific front to rear offset? ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have done a track day in my GTI and my mind was BLOWN, as it was so fun!
However, my tires and brakes (all stock) took a beating. So I am considering getting 16" wheels and tires, as well as racing brake pads so wanted to check what everyone else uses?

I don't plan to go to the track every weekend, this will be something like 4 times a year, and probably another 4 autocross events a year, but I feel like the spend would be worth it on consumables such as brakes and tires as those take a heck of a beating..

What are your thoughts? what's your setup?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had my GTI at Mid Ohio a few weeks ago and it did pretty good. I have TTRS front brakes as well as VWR springs and a big H&R rear sway bar and a stage 1 tune. I had to do it on my stock all seasons since it was last minute when I decided to go instruct. Ill put track tires on the stock wheels (since I have a set of forgelines on order for street tires) it for the next one. I am also going to upgrade the rear brakes to PP and that will help keeping the rear a bit more in line under braking on the back straight. I do wish I had the PP diff but I was ok without it you just need to drive a bit differently. Glad to see you had yours out. You should come up to our Dayton Cars and coffee every other week. Im either there with a white GTI or a white 993 C4s. Take care, Mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am also going to upgrade the rear brakes to PP and that will help keeping the rear a bit more in line under braking on the back straight.
Could you elaborate a bit on this comment? I'm curious because I am thinking about upgrading the fronts with a modestly-sized BBK (345mm) and am wondering about the rears (on a non-PP car).

1 - 20 of 178 Posts