VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with this question for a couple track days now. I have carried an enormous tool bag with a back-breaking amount of stuff in it to my track days. I discovered at this one that it won't fit in the capacious rubbermaid tub I brought for it to protect it in the rain.

At Buttonwillow, I was envious of R-chitect's (OG MkIV dude) tool kit that (other than his jack) looked like it would fit in a ladies purse. Then of course we had a humorous exchange wherein he cursed whoever had worked on his brakes before because they over-torqued the 12mm allen bolt, and would I happen to have a 12mm allen with a 18" breaker bar? (Something like that, and of course I *did* have what he needed.)

So I have been thinking about starting over. Leave the "big bag" at home, and develop a "track day" tool kit. Probably would live in my R full time if it's small enough, so also a "roadside tool kit".

I'm thinking along the lines of "why haul SAE sockets around, anyway?" Maybe going to "strips" of sockets instead of a molded plastic case. "Tool rolls" of wrenches. Stuff like that.

What's in your wallet?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

good thread idea, here's a quick run down of all the items I like to take to track with me. The pic above is my old track wheel setup.

Craftsman Toolbox (single tray size):

• dead blow hammer
  • 3/8", 1/2" sockets, breaker bar, torque wrench, ratchets
  • various open end sockets
  • small assortment of screwdrivers
  • various types of tape
  • 3/8" socket allens
  • needle noise, wire cutters, etc
  • various misc

Milk Crate (14" x 14"):

• Quart of Oil
  • Brake Fluid
  • Gloves
  • Air Pump that connects to the car
  • Air Pressure Gauge
  • Extra Lugs Bolts/Nuts/Studs
  • Assortment of rags/micro fiber/glass towels
  • Wheel Chocks
  • Jack Pad
  • Race pads
  • disc brake grease and pad quiet

Miscellaneous Items:

• Steel Jack (I need an aluminum version)
  • 1 Jack Stand
  • 2 x 4
  • Racing Wheels (Enkei PF01's)
  • Painters Tape
  • Track Numbers
  • Waterless Wash or Detail spray - Glass Cleaner
  • Small collapsible chair I use for working on brakes or anything of that sort.
  • 1 camping chair
  • small cooler with extra water and some snacks
  • sunglasses
  • camera mount and Canon D550
  • hat
  • long sleeve shirt
  • Puma Racing Shoes
  • Helmet
  • car inspection sheet
  • sometimes I take a tent and or BBQ if friends are coming, but that's really pushing it.

I think that covers most of it. I don't have rear seats, so the track wheels fit perfect side by side where the seat used to be. The toolbox, crate, and jack fit perfectly in the trunk area. I'll snap a pic of how I squeeze it all in next week when I run @AAA Speedway.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that covers most of it. I don't have rear seats, so the track wheels fit perfect side by side where the seat used to be. The toolbox, crate, and jack fit perfectly in the trunk area. I'll snap a pic of how I squeeze it all in next week when I run @AAA Speedway.
Cool, Ryan.

Do you tie down your tires somehow? When I was a kid, I rolled a car and ended up with a live scuba tank on the roof next to my head. Ever since, I've tried to tie down everything deadlier than a kleenex box or else consign it to the trunk.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
funny you ask, the last 4 times I've been to the track I've been really thinking about that, what if I got in a wreck on the way...

Gonna look for a solution asap, life is too precious...

What's your new setup looking like?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tools?

I was literally out shopping on line for stuff and thought I'd ask here first.

I still have my rear seats in, so I usually have the tools and other 'deadlys' behind the seats, with my suitcase seat-belted in to the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

I can't believe you guys bring that much stuff (tool-wise) to track days.

helmet
wheels are already on in summer
maybe a torque wrench and protected socket in case I need to tighten a nut

if i have any major incident, it's getting towed. if something minor goes wrong, i sure as hell don't want to try to work on it at the track (i.e., it will probably get towed)

then again, the track i go to is small, i'm just doing "fun days" (non sanctioned stuff), and i rely on the kindness of strangers' tools. ;)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe you guys bring that much stuff (tool-wise) to track days.

helmet
wheels are already on in summer
maybe a torque wrench and protected socket in case I need to tighten a nut

if i have any major incident, it's getting towed. if something minor goes wrong, i sure as hell don't want to try to work on it at the track (i.e., it will probably get towed)

then again, the track i go to is small, i'm just doing "fun days" (non sanctioned stuff), and i rely on the kindness of strangers' tools. ;)
Yeah, I've considered just going with a torque wrench and a flashlight and depend upon others.

Just feels like I should "be prepared" a little more than that.

This last weekend, I got "black flagged" off of the slalom course because they saw "rainbows" in my wake (OK, not really a My Little Pony fan). On two successive runs, they were sure there was some iridescence indicating a fluid leak when my car left the start gate. On the right side.

I parked my car back in the paddock, and did an inspection under the hood and under the car with a strong flashlight. Nothing seen. It being my first gig with this gang, I was a little flummoxed about "what's next?" An instructor looked at it, and suggested I throw some cardboard under it and go to lunch. After lunch, cardboard was clean, and I was allowed to continue.

Point is, I *might* have had to drop the skid plate or do some other wrenching to make repairs in order to salvage my weekend.

Now that I type this out, I bet I know what happened: My gas tank was full (6 miles on the trip odo). I did not fill it myself (this being Oregon) and perhaps there was a teaspoon of fuel in the fuel filler well area. Romp on the throttle, and a little itty bit goes to the drain hole, and it's "My Little Pony" time.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I bet you're right with the fuel fillup. I noticed that they topped me off, which I never do.

Anyway, here is my track day list. It is more a reflection of the sort of minor fixes that I am comfortable with rather than an attempt to be prepared for anything. My checklist is on my work computer, so this is from memory. Aside from the jack, it fits in a plastic tub.

aluminum jack
aluminum jack stands
torque wrench with lug socket
ratchet handle and small set of sockets
set of triple square tips
~2' sch 80 plastic pipe for handle extension
screw driver handle and set of tips
crescent wrench
flashlight
tire pressure gauge
T-handle hex wrench for unibrace
rags
gloves
homemade brake bleeder bottle
brake fluid
trash bags

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
It seems like I take a lot of stuff but it's only a small toolbox, crate and tires for the most part. I usually am switching out pads and wheels at the track, so I like to have extra stuff in case I notice anything I most have not noticed when I was inspecting the car the previous week.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems like I take a lot of stuff but it's only a small toolbox, crate and tires for the most part. I usually am switching out pads and wheels at the track, so I like to have extra stuff in case I notice anything I most have not noticed when I was inspecting the car the previous week.
Yeah, my problem is that I have a large "three holer" tool bag with shoulder strap that I keep virtually all of my automotive tools in. That's what I've been dragging to the track.

I just need to get another "doctor bag" and put the minimum stuff in it to take to the track. I don't need two complete socket sets, my four vice-grip set, my schwaben wire de-pinning set, my palm ratchets, ........

I've also been dragging my laptop and VCDS dongle around, and I never seem to use that at these events, either. I was thinking I'd get an opportunity to 'help a dubber out', but it never comes up.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
any ideas on what I could use to cover and tie everything down? I was thinking of a large net like VW has for the trunk but I need something larger...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually try to bring my mechanic along. He is small and angry but can pretty much fix anything I/we brake of the fly.
I figure the 'density of mechanics' at a SoCal R32 event would probably cover my needs....

Learning to live outside of the SoCal R32 community.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Good idea to check the off-road industry :thumbup:

Maybe an off road warehouse, or pick up a cargo net for a Jeep. Might be big enough? Just a thought.
:laugh: :thumbup:

I usually try to bring my mechanic along. He is small and angry but can pretty much fix anything I/we brake of the fly.
As I have said before, the best looking track oriented MKV R at Fastivus 2011 :thumbup:

I figure the 'density of mechanics' at a SoCal R32 event would probably cover my needs....

Learning to live outside of the SoCal R32 community.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Tools?

I was literally out shopping on line for stuff and thought I'd ask here first.

I still have my rear seats in, so I usually have the tools and other 'deadlys' behind the seats, with my suitcase seat-belted in to the rear seat.
I'd try to tie it down a little more.

Quick story:
I had just done a brake job on my g/f's car and threw the old rotors and pads in the trunk. She ended up rear ending someone at around ~40mph (Didn't react fast enough when the guy in front of her slammed the brakes because a dog ran into the road). The rotors hit the seat which folded it down, and the pads were found on the dash.

Just saying, give a little more effort, because you never know.

On topic:
When I used to hit the 1/4mi track, I would take:

jack
jack stands
set of sockets
breaker bar
rachets 3/8" and 1/2"
easily replaceable extra parts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, my wife's mini cooper manual suggests engaging both rear seat belts to 'reinforce' the rear seats if you're carrying cargo. Simple enough to do, but rarely gets done.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
any ideas on what I could use to cover and tie everything down? I was thinking of a large net like VW has for the trunk but I need something larger...
This looks like "the right stuff":
http://www.amazon.com/CARGO-Strap-Nylon-Down-Truck/dp/B004ZMRR8W/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_3

Not sure exactly how to tie it in, but 6' by 6' and stout webbing seems like it might save your head from being whacked by race-day wheels in a wreck.

There's lots of options in 'stretchy web', but that doesn't seem crash worthy. Also lots of options in full size pickup and box truck that feature stout webbing, but 12' by 12' seems like overkill.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I use this in my .:R32 trunk:

as seen here: http://www.thebednet.com/compactnet.htm This is the smaller version of what Mr. Peach suggested. Just another option

Got it new on ebay 4 years ago for $10. Looks like they are $45 on amazon now. Comes with the 4 adjustable bungee cords. Net itself is not stretchy and holds things firmly in place, unlike the stretchy OEM web (we have on the TDI) which is nicer for grocery shopping and keeping gallons of milk from rolling around.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Crazy, good thing she's fine.

Quick story:
I had just done a brake job on my g/f's car and threw the old rotors and pads in the trunk. She ended up rear ending someone at around ~40mph (Didn't react fast enough when the guy in front of her slammed the brakes because a dog ran into the road). The rotors hit the seat which folded it down, and the pads were found on the dash.

Just saying, give a little more effort, because you never know.

On topic:
When I used to hit the 1/4mi track, I would take:

jack
jack stands
set of sockets
breaker bar
rachets 3/8" and 1/2"
easily replaceable extra parts
Good idea...

Yeah, my wife's mini cooper manual suggests engaging both rear seat belts to 'reinforce' the rear seats if you're carrying cargo. Simple enough to do, but rarely gets done.
That looks solid...

This looks like "the right stuff":
http://www.amazon.com/CARGO-Strap-Nylon-Down-Truck/dp/B004ZMRR8W/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_3

Not sure exactly how to tie it in, but 6' by 6' and stout webbing seems like it might save your head from being whacked by race-day wheels in a wreck.

There's lots of options in 'stretchy web', but that doesn't seem crash worthy. Also lots of options in full size pickup and box truck that feature stout webbing, but 12' by 12' seems like overkill.

This looks good too for just the trunk, I think Peach's solution might work better for me since I have no seats and need something that spans both areas, both look like great solutions. I'm not into that stretchy stuff unless it's for light weight stuff.

I use this in my .:R32 trunk:

as seen here: http://www.thebednet.com/compactnet.htm This is the smaller version of what Mr. Peach suggested. Just another option

Got it new on ebay 4 years ago for $10. Looks like they are $45 on amazon now. Comes with the 4 adjustable bungee cords. Net itself is not stretchy and holds things firmly in place, unlike the stretchy OEM web (we have on the TDI) which is nicer for grocery shopping and keeping gallons of milk from rolling around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.