VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here, I come from the mk8 gti group on fb. About a week ago, I created a spreadsheet to help track the gti coolant leak issue in hopes of getting a better perspective on how widespread the issue is and if there are any criterias that the problem can be narrowed down to.

People in the fb group didn't seem all that interested in putting their names down, but someone suggested that I post it here too in hopes of it gaining more traction, so here it is:

Info is fairly standard. Name, trim, total mileage and mileage at the time(s) of failure. Follow up categories are automated for convenience and name box is color coated to quickly pick out who was affected (green=safe, red=affected), that way it makes everything quick to fill out and straight forward to look at.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not a bad idea, could eventually come in handy.
Yeah, we did the same thing on a smaller scale in some game group for a bug, and it worked quite well, figured I'd start something for this. If something good comes out of it great, at the very least it will give people a bit more of an accurate perspective on the issue (whether good or bad) and take appropriate preventative measures. I know everyone isn't a fan of the idea of drilling holes for zip ties, but if there's a lot of red in the graph, I'm sure people will warm up to the idea real quick haha

Collection of links to posts about coolant loss on Reddit and VWVortex here: https://old.reddit.com/user/I_Say_D...blank_template_for_mark_8_gtis_breaking_down/
Dang, nice thanks man. I'll enter some of them myself. I'll just check periodically for duplicates and delete entries if need be.

Edit: On second thought, I'll reach out to the OP of the post first, may be smarter to just have it linked directly on the post and let people do it themselves. If nobody bites still, ill enter them myself

·
Registered
349 Posts
TKS FOR THE THREAD...

hate driving during weather (DAMN HOT LATELY IN SO CAL) or a ways from home and driving late at night) with my gti. I could do the tie rap, but don't want or think I should do it. Is it even possible to void the warranty somehow to anything dealing with coolant system :(

And what happens in 4 years when out of warranty :(

cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has the mount ever been loose?

Personally I'm not concerned with mine at the moment because it has never been loose.

If the problem is that the assembly was botched at the factory, the mounts or mounting tabs may be damaged and never fully secure properly. It may explain repeat events for some people impacted so far.

The current fix from VW is likely not properly addressing the root cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys quick update. Added a few changes suggested by A3tron.

The mount failure is now separate from the coolant leak it tends to cause, that way people who have had the radiator come loose but haven't had leaks occur following this are more accurately represented. I've changed the wording of some of the following categories to better reflect this change as well as add a few aesthetic changes to make it visually easier on the eyes.

Someone who's name is highlighted in GREEN has not had the radiator come loose from the mounts, and as a result has had no coolant leaks caused by this issue.

Someone who's name is highlighted in YELLOW has had the radiator come loose from the mounts, but has experienced (whether by chance or noticing it preemptively) no coolant leaks following this.

Someone who's name is highlighted in
RED has had the radiator come loose from the mounts, and has had a coolant leak occur as a result of this.

If anyone else has any suggestions, just let me know and I'll implement them as soon as I can :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of the things I've seen commented a few times in the FB group is that is seems Canadian Performance model may have a different rad fan surround/trim (mine included). I don't have the ridges with holes that others are using to feed the zip ties through. There doesn't seem to be many reports of these ones failing. Although the sheet is showing one Autobahn/Performance model in kms as having a failure.

Maybe add a Canada/USA drop down for added clarity?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I see 25 issues so far as of today on the spreadsheet. How many more do u think are not reported?

My guess VW doesn't' think this is an issue.

looking at this data, 4100 plus gti's sold in 22, plus what was sole in 21, on a percentage basis very small number. MY MATH SUCKS, but isn't that less than 1%. make no sense for vw to issue a recall, MUCH CHEAPER to just let the dealers fix it.

If it happens to you, late at night in the middle of no where, IT"S A HUGE DEAL, its sucks big time, and than the month long wait for a month or more for parts.

For those in the know, is this a big a issue as we make it out to be. I would think other mfg's may have similiar issuies with car being built in this time frame (covid stuff). A class action suit .... what lawyer would take this on. If it was 10%, it's still only 400 to 600 cars (counting 21).

any thoughts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see 25 issues so far as of today on the spreadsheet. How many more do u think are not reported?

looking at this data, 4100 plus gti's sold in 22, plus what was sole in 21, on a percentage basis very small number. MY MATH SUCKS, but isn't that less than 1%. make no sense for vw to issue a recall, MUCH CHEAPER to just let the dealers fix it.

If it happens to you, late at night in the middle of no where, IT"S A HUGE DEAL, its sucks big time, and than the month long wait for a month or more for parts.

For those in the know, is this a big a issue as we make it out to be. I would think other mfg's may have similiar issuies with car being built in this time frame (covid stuff). A class action suit .... what lawyer would take this on. If it was 10%, it's still only 400 to 600 cars (counting 21).

any thoughts
Sir, there are 8 rows where the user reported the coolant leak occurred and 1 where the user indicated the radiator came loose but did not cause a leak. There’s even 1 user whose leak occurred after installing zip ties

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the things I've seen commented a few times in the FB group is that is seems Canadian Performance model may have a different rad fan surround/trim (mine included). I don't have the ridges with holes that others are using to feed the zip ties through. There doesn't seem to be many reports of these ones failing. Although the sheet is showing one Autobahn/Performance model in kms as having a failure.

Maybe add a Canada/USA drop down for added clarity?
From what I understand, it really comes down to the clips in the GTI that hold the radiator in place. I've read in a few places that too, but on further details, it seems it's still the same clips. The R actually has different clips, which explains probably why it's almost exclusively a GTI issue. I feel like for Canada, the issue is more related to the relatively small amount of performance GTI's are around, I'd assume probably due to our taxes blowing the hell out of the price lol

Concerning the region drop down, only reason I hesitate for making a USA/Canada distinction is that apparently the issue has occurred elsewhere too, putting all the countries down for the specific region will start to take a hot minute to do haha. Besides a few minor cosmetic differences, the trims seem to be nearly identical, and since they all come from the same place, I didn't really see a need for it, but I'll give it some thought. Maybe there's a way to add it without it being too cumbersome :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

any thoughts
I think the concern has more to do with the failure reoccurring multiple times. If it was a one and done fix we saw here and there, I don't think anyone would care all that much, but people have been having the issue reoccur twice, or three times... I think I've seen 4 too. Sure, it could be just being unlucky, but I feel like if the issue can reoccur on the same person multiple times for multiple people, the odds are not exactly low enough to be comforting. There should also be some sort of way to tell a defective clip for a functional one, if the issue is not a design flaw, you'd think there would be a way to sort the bad ones from the good ones.

Just seems like, if they can issue recalls for incredibly rare instances of overly sensitive sunroof buttons, they should recall a serious radiator clip failure that seems quite a bit more common. Sure, it's rare, but even then, you'd expect this to be more of a thing 4-5yrs down the line, an issue like this shouldn't be occurring at all within the first 10,000km's. I'm glad zip ties are a thing lol, but people shouldn't have to be zip tying their brand new cars lol, there should be some kind of fix on VW's side as a preventive measure at the very least with how many of these failures have occurred.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sir, there are 8 rows where the user reported the coolant leak occurred and 1 where the user indicated the radiator came loose but did not cause a leak. There’s even 1 user whose leak occurred after installing zip ties
mk8 radiator mounting failure tracking

on this tracking site, I see just 26 listed, can u direct where the 8 rows are. Or can someone estimate the amount of failures so far (preferably from a reliable source). (how many failures per cars sold ?)

What is the clip made out of ?

I would think the zip ties is a very relatively short term fix, I would think they would get brittle within a year, I had zip ties supporting a mirror on an old truck, it broke within a year and half. Would think the engine heat would also make this process occur faster, but maybe the sun does more damage.

I hope VW does something, but if they haven't so far, I'm not hopeful. Maybe an aftermarket company could step in and do something more permanent than zip ties and make a profit.

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

on this tracking site, I see just 26 listed, can u direct where the 8 rows are. Or can someone estimate the amount of failures so far (preferably from a reliable source). (how many failures per cars sold ?)

I would think the zip ties is a very relatively short term fix, I would think they would get brittle within a year, I had zip ties supporting a mirror on an old truck, it broke within a year and half. Would think the engine heat would also make this process occur faster, but maybe the sun does more damage.

I hope VW does something, but if they haven't so far, I'm not hopeful. Maybe an aftermarket company could step in and do something more permanent than zip ties and make a profit.

cheers
Sadly there's just not enough data around to fire off any worthwhile estimation. I had a small hope people with varied experiences would slowly fill it out overtime, but as these things usually tend to go, those who haven't had the issue tend to not look, not know, or not care lol. It is what it is. However...

One thing I have noticed, both in the spreadsheet so far and online as of late... The coolant leak seems to not repeat itself amongst those who's car repairs included having the clips replaced. There are instances of it happening multiple times, but from what I can recall from every post this happens in, nearly all repeat incidents revolve around the dealership leaving the same clips in and just fixing the hose and calling it a day. Taking this into account, my best guess is that some portions of clips are defective from the factory for reasons not relating to the design of the clip itself. And so the odds of buying a brand new clip and it being defective are most likely way lower, as whatever the defect from the factory is would either not be there or is probably instantly noticeable on the clip on its own.

One reddit user mentioned that when he spoke to the dealership manager, he was told that some of the mk8 GTI's came from the factory missing a security bolt for the clips. There is no way to confirm this, however this would make some sense, as the whole purpose of a security bolt/screw is to fasten something borderline permanently and prevent tampering. If from the factory they were missing, presumably the clips would naturally loosen it's grip overtime, eventually loosening to a point where the radiator can pop out from the clips, then dangle and yeet it's hose into the belt lol. I imagine when they get sent new clips for the repair, it comes with the missing pair of bolts, so the issue doesn't get reproduced unless those same clips without them are left in.

With all that said, none of this is factual. VW could come out tomorrow, issue a recall and say they typically give every GTI radiator a hug for emotional support, missed the batch for NA, and all decided to cry coolant tears on the highway. It's just the answer someone has gotten from a dealership that makes the most sense, at least for me... So, I'm going to roll with it and tell myself this after I have it happen to me and chicken out of drilling zip-tie holes in my new car lol

·
Registered
2022 VW GTI SE
59 Posts

cheers
Your concerns about zip tie failure may be valid - I have no data to support or refute this concern. One option might be to go with stainless steel zip ties. They are available, and certainly would not be a concern from a embrittlement issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts