VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to leave ASR on or off on dry pavement? How about wet pavement? Any info on ASR would be appreciated. I don't have my manual handy.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Re: Traction control (anthrapass)

Although he may not know a thing, my salesman said that the ASR can be left on all the time, and to just shut it off when you specifically want to spin the tires, i.e. if you want to blast your way out of snow or want to goof off, etc.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts

In perfectly dry weather, a lot of people, including myself, like to turn the ASR off in order to get maximum performance.
In the rain, leave ASR on, but keep in mind if you punch the gas, the wheels will still spin. The best technique in the rain is to ease down on the gas pedal.
Also, passaturge is right about the times when you want the wheels to spin. The owner's manual says you should turn off ASR in specific situations (snow is one) when will spin will help you get unstuck.

·
Registered
188 Posts

I like to drive spiritedly. That said, if it's a dry day, I switch ASR off. ASR normally allows some wheel spin before it kicks in, but when you're at the limit in a turn, sometimes it will read the power slide as wheel spin and apply the brakes. This is not a good feeling. However, when there's rain, snow, wet leaves, etc., I always keep it on and curb my driving a little.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Re: Traction control (DaffyPassat)

I only turn my ASR off when I'm in deep snow situations where wheelspin is necessary for the winter tires to scratch their way up a hill. Under most winter driving conditions, I leave the ASR on, and enjoy drama-free driving..

[Modified by sbachmeier, 10:28 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re: Traction control (Stargazer)

How exactly does ASR effect performance. Does it limit acceloration before the wheels spin, or only after they start to? I guess I can test this myself, but maybe someone could explain...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Re: Traction control (GoBigRed)

ASR retards engine performance when it senses that the wheels are starting to spin. It does this throughout the entire speed range.
In conjunction with that, EDL applies brakes to prevent a wheel from spinning and this works at speeds up to about 25 mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I was told I had 'traction control' but figured the dealer was really talking about ABS - never heard anything about ASR before this thread, let alone turning it on/off - help a newbie out.......do I have this in my car??

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Re: Traction control (mainepassat)

What model Passat do you have?
ASR became a standard feature in later model years. If you have ASR you will have an "ASR" button on the center console. All Passats have Electronic Differential Lock.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I will have to go look at my console, although I hope after 2 years I would have noticed by now - I have a 99 GLS 1.8t
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts

I don't know about yall, but my ASR comes on alot even when its not wet or whatever. Alot of times when I am taking off my wheels spin excessively due to gravel or whatever and it comes on and fixes the problem. You cannot see gravel on the road, or dirt when it is dark, so I leave mine on all the time...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: Traction control (topdawg)

topdawg, that's your Electronic Differential Lock (EDL). EDL is standard on all Passats, even pre-ASR GLS's. It only works up to about 20 mph,and distributes torque between the front wheels by selectively braking. The only way to turn it off on either GLS or GLX is to disable the ABS.
Regards,

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Re: Traction control (Kenny Payne)

I thought the EDL worked great in the snow last year. It's hard to imagine how much better ASR would be. I am sold on traction control for winter driving. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: Traction control (PhilHVW)

I wish my 98 passat had ASR.. i would probably turn it off on dry road, but i wish my car had this safety feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts