VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a Subaru Legacy tomorrow. I have an 01 Corolla "s" without sunroof. It is paid off.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/20...esult
If this link works it has the car on it. How accurate is Edmunds trade-in value's? If I sell it versus trading in is there a tax difference? If I am only going to make an extra 1500.00 by selling private-party I would probably just trade it in. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I know I got hosed on my first car purchase (Honda Accord)
. The legacys (06) have a low apr and 2k cash back which has me interested. Or maybe a base imprezza 07.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: trade-in or sale? (icedmocha)

i doubt you'll get the edmund's ( or kbb, nada, etc ) trade in value for your toyota. dealers have their own book and it has a much lower value list...but i really hope you get a fair value for your trade in...good luck

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: trade-in or sale? (neutered)

That's what I don't get. Edmunds\nada\kbb all have "trade in value"
but is seems they are all way off. Where do you get this magic book that all the dealers have for appraisals?
Na.. I bet it's a conspiracy by all the dealers to low ball everone on trade-in

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: trade-in or sale? (tashistation)

Quote, originally posted by tashistation »
That's what I don't get. Edmunds\nada\kbb all have "trade in value"
but is seems they are all way off. Where do you get this magic book that all the dealers have for appraisals?
Na.. I bet it's a conspiracy by all the dealers to low ball everone on trade-in

The problem is they are all guides, and real value is based on what someone is actually willing to pay for a vehicle. It works both ways, when you see a price listed that is suggested you should pay for a vehicle, you want to pay less.
In the end its very based on the dealer and their used car manager. We are typically right where carmax is on most cars, so that tells me we are about right.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Re: trade-in or sale? (Corradodrvrfnd)

don't know about corolla but I sold my 00 jetta vr6 auto on ebay for 9500$.car was in perfect condition,very very clean 69k miles.
dealer offer me only 6700$
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by Fantomasz at 8:03 PM 9-12-2006

·
Registered
212 Posts
The magic book ........

in our area (northeast) is called Galves. It gives a base value with x miles, has adds for certain features and deducts for others. It tells you to subtract x dollars for x thousand miles over x.
We take that value, compare it to NADA left side (what a bank will buy on the car) then figure out what we're gonna have to spend on the car to make it sellable.
Remember, depending on the price, age and miles on the car, we may or may not have to guarantee state inspection and offer a warranty where we as a dealer have to pay for anything that breaks, not like a warranty you buy, where the claim is picked up by an insurance company.
Professional appraisals take time effort and experience. You wouldn't go to a web site to appraise your house, grandma's diamond, or a Picasso with a beer can stain.
I'm sorry I rambled, but as my first used car manager used to say, "If Kelley Blue Book is gonna write the check, they can have the car."

·
Registered
178 Posts
Even if the dealer gives you a good value you are happy with from a given book, he will screw you over somewhere else.
You are always better off selling privately and using that 6-8 K cash as a downpayment and as leverage to negotiate costs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts