VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...got a ticket this weekend downtown...
i got it for making an "improper left turn" cuz i merged into the turning lane just before the intersection and the cop booked me....
anyway, its a $110 ticket but basically i need to know if this stuff affects my insurance at all....
it doesnt say anything about points on the ticket or anything like that, just the fine amount....
so anyway, if i just pay it, will it go away or will it have anything to do with my insurance cuz if it does, i will have to go fight it cuz it was a rediculous ticket....i just dont have time during the week to go fight since i work so i will only go if it will do anything with my insurance...
can anyone help me out here? thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Re: Traffic Ticket Gurus.......need some info please! (sexymk4)

Improper left turn is a catch all ticket, just like careless driving is. Its very broad in its definition.
Yes it affects your insurance, its a moving violation. 2 demerit points to be exact.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Traffic Ticket Gurus.......need some info please! (drew80a)

is it better to fight the ticket completely or go in "guilty with reason"?
i feel that i have a pretty good case...i mean, i didnt want to get lost and i had to make the turn and did it very cautiously....i am hardly never downtown and not familiar with the streets and what not....
i cant have this on my record....what should i do?
use ex-coppers or do it myself?

·
Registered
198 Posts

always fight your ticket even if you lose you can appeal it and by then with our slow system it will be over 2 years and the points will be erased because the points stay with you for 2 years from the date of the offence not your conviction date. If you appeal it you just have to pay a fee for the court documents and it usually takes them 8 months to prepare them in to. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Traffic Ticket Gurus.......need some info please! (wabbitwule)

hey bud, thanks for the input....
so i should fight it NOT GUILTY as appose to guilty with reason?
the points wont show up at all on my record until i am actually found guilty or pay the ticket, right?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: Traffic Ticket Gurus.......need some info please! (wabbitwule)

points stay with you for 2 years from the date of the offence not your conviction date
this is not true, points stay with yur from your conviction date, i got a ticket in may, fought it in september, and i just got a letter stating that i have to wait till spet before my points are gone

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
Re: Traffic Ticket Gurus.......need some info please! (Danno13)

the ticket and points associated with it appear on your record as of the date you are convicted, not the date of the offence.
trust me, I know. I have fought numerous tickets and had them at least lowered in severity but the delays in court, etc. mean that tickets and points are on my record almost a year after they should have been gone...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Traffic Ticket Gurus.......need some info please! (The Red Baron)

bump for anymore help please!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

bump to the top...anyone know people that can get me off this ticket for some money?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

I say fight the ticket. First, make an appointment with the crown attorney to discuss the case, if the ticket truely is ridiculous as you say, there's a reasonable chance he doesn't think the charge has much merit either, I've done this sucessfully and had a charge withdrawn.
If that fails, go to court and take your chances, make the cop explain to the court what you did (or thinks you did), explain what you should have done in that situation. Then tell your side of the story and let the JP decide if what you did if an infraction worthy of sanction.
Worse case scenario, you get found guilty, have to pay the fine and maybe, get a bit of a dressing down by the JP for wasting the court's time. As for the impact on your insurance rates, that will largely depend on your record, if it is more or less clean except for this infraction, then there won't be much of an impact but if you've got a few other tickets and or an insurance claim or two then it could be costly.
BTW, before you do anything, read the appropriate section of the Highway Traffic Act so that you can speak intelligent of the subject.

Modified by ABA Scirocco at 11:47 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Re: (ABA Scirocco)

To clarify one small point that has been asked a couple of times:
NEVER NEVER choose "plead guilty with an explanation". It does you NO good whatsoever. You are still "guilty", you still have to pay, you still get the same points on your record.
option 1: "How do you plead" / "guilty" / "Convicted as charged. $110 please."
option 2: "How do you plead" / "guilty with explanation" / "What's your explanation" / blah blah blah / "That's nice. Convicted as charged. $110 please."
option 3: "How do you plead" / "not guilty" - and then the game begins. The outcome may be a crapshoot, your odds will be better if you prepare properly, but at least it's not 100% guaranteed. There is a fairly good chance that you can discuss the charge with the prosecutor and plea-bargain to something that doesn't have points. Or if you have a good case, you can go the whole route, and you may be found not guilty. This is the only way to go.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: (GoFaster)

Quote, originally posted by GoFaster »

NEVER NEVER choose "plead guilty with an explanation". It does you NO good whatsoever. You are still "guilty", you still have to pay, you still get the same points on your record.

I agree, unless wasting the courts time by venting makes you feel better, it does you no good because it very doubtful that ANY explanation would help your cause.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (ABA Scirocco)

thanks a lot people...
i am new to this whole court situation and therefore unexperienced and have no knowledge or fighting a case and all that....so is it best to hand it over to points or x-coppers and pay the price to have them cut or throw out the ticket?
i would pay any price to have the ticket disappear.....no joke....
so if u know anyway to get me off this, i am willing to pay...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: (sexymk4)

Question. Was a left hand turn forbidden at the intersection?
If that's so then there is no defence. It is posted and you got caught.
Merging to the left lane and then turning left at an interesection isn't an offence unless turning is forbidden or restricted etc.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Canada 1)

nope, left turns are not forbidden!
there is a left turn lane that i was merging into in order to make the turn....which means it was a BS ticket!
anyone know any ticket-fighters that arent x-coppers or points cuz i hear they fight tickets more thoroughly then the big-time ticket fighters

·
Registered
611 Posts
Re: (sexymk4)

If you think the ticket is bogus plead not guilty. Once you get your court date write to the crown attourney's office requesting a full disclosure. You'll want to get a number of things but the biggets thing I think you'll want will be the cop's notes. Also make sure to send the request for disclosure via registered mail.
Once you get the notes you know what he 'thinks' you did wrong and can prepare a case. I'd highly recommend that you go to the scene and take some pictures showing the intersection including the time of day (incase the sun is a factor) and also have an overhead drawing of the intersection.
You'll need to read up in the highway traffic act as to what is considered an 'improper left turn'. You have to prove how you did not make an 'improper left turn' as per the way the offence is worded.
Check out this site to help you out they have some good info!
http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/index.htm
Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts