VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after 40K service at dealership, where DSG oil and Haldex oil were changed.
My wife who is currently daily driving my R32, and was on a road trip at the time, feels something like she a shudder in the drivetrain and car stalled. She pulled over and re-started car only to hear metallic grinding noise while trying to move fwd.
Car towed to different out of town VW dealer, who say the "Front Haldex/Transfer case" failed internally, replacing under extended warranty with sealed unit shipping from Germany.

Story smells to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if local dealership drained oil out of something and did not refill, as this seems like a very rare failure.

Anybody have some wisdom....

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to persuade the dealer to service the Haldex @ 40k miles, and they did charge for Haldex oil (no filter change) on the invoice.

I have heard two different stories as to whether the "Transfer Case" shares oil with the gearbox, but I worry about what else might have got hosed with this failure or what else could have caused this. I also worry that the dealers will cover up for each others mistakes, and not fess up to real cause, so I have asked for photo documentation as car is now out of town and I can't go witness anything.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I had to persuade the dealer to service the Haldex @ 40k miles, and they did charge for Haldex oil (no filter change) on the invoice.

I have heard two different stories as to whether the "Transfer Case" shares oil with the gearbox, but I worry about what else might have got hosed with this failure or what else could have caused this. I also worry that the dealers will cover up for each others mistakes, and not fess up to real cause, so I have asked for photo documentation as car is now out of town and I can't go witness anything.
sounds like they dealer messed up. at my 40k svc, i had to tell the service writer the haldex had a filter and he checked three times before agreeing with me. after that, i specifically told him to make sure that the two different fluids were not mixed up.

i have to find a "slave" shop as my guy retired. =)

shark ~

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Its very easy to drain/fill the wrong part of the diff/haldex unit. The fill ports are very close together, with the rearmost fill port for the diff. Since they charged you for haldex fluid, I would be willing to bet the diff fluid was replaced with haldex fluid, which would cause a pretty massive failure in short time due to the differences in viscosity.

I was very concerned about something like this happening to me, so I did my fluid+ filter by myself. I made sure to compare the oil that I drained out to the oil I was putting.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I just can't believe they put haldex oil in the front diff, I mean what can you confuse it with there? Theres a transmission and engine up front and i haven't heard of a confusion between them.

sounds like they dealer messed up. at my 40k svc, i had to tell the service writer the haldex had a filter and he checked three times before agreeing with me. after that, i specifically told him to make sure that the two different fluids were not mixed up.

i have to find a "slave" shop as my guy retired. =)

shark ~
I had to prove to my dealer that my car was even AWD in the first place, let alone explain the difference between a diff and a haldex, one guy thought they were connected and used the same fluid

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify...

Dealer claims the output shaft area off the transmission where the driveshaft connects in the front, they called it "Transfer Case" has failed.

Not the Haldex unit.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Just to clarify...

Dealer claims the output shaft area off the transmission where the driveshaft connects in the front, they called it "Transfer Case" has failed.

Not the Haldex unit.
I see. With my volvo AWD, they call that the angle gear and it does have its own fluid. I am not sure how the setup is on our cars though, would be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Volvo uses Haldex, just a did you know statement...
Yes they do, in fact my V50 uses the same haldex filter as my r32. I don't know what you are implying, but the power take off ( or angle gear in volvo speak) will be completely different between volvo and Volkswagen despite sharing a *nearly* indentical haldex unit.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I had my front diff / transfer case checked when I was chasing some driveline noise. They said the gear oil was grotty, so they drained and filled with fresh. This was at 70k or so. They said it was a watch item going forward.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Peach, does it use normal 75w90 gear oil, or is it DSG fluid? I don't even know where the fill / drain point is.

- [thumbed from a phone] -

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Peach, does it use normal 75w90 gear oil, or is it DSG fluid? I don't even know where the fill / drain point is.
My repair order for this says:

1 G-052-145-S2 AXLE OIL $40.43
LABOR: $57.50
77133 FOUND CENTER DIFFERENTIAL/BEVEL BOX FLUID VERY DARK. FLUSHED AND REPLACED THE GEAR OIL IN THE BEVEL BOX/CENTER DIFFERENTIAL.
75w90.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I had my front diff / transfer case checked when I was chasing some driveline noise. They said the gear oil was grotty, so they drained and filled with fresh. This was at 70k or so. They said it was a watch item going forward.
Wait...there is a separate front diff/t case drain fill? :confused:

·
Banned
6,935 Posts
Yes it has a seperate drain/fill. Uses the same fluid as the rear diff.

I had mine fail last year 800 miles from home during WiTW. I had around 38,000-40,000 miles on it at the time. it chewed itself apart from the inside out, not sure what happened but it locked the rear wheels up at 80mph on the high way until I could disconnect the rear haldex can connection so i was only FWD.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes it has a seperate drain/fill. Uses the same fluid as the rear diff.

I had mine fail last year 800 miles from home during WiTW. I had around 38,000-40,000 miles on it at the time. it chewed itself apart from the inside out, not sure what happened but it locked the rear wheels up at 80mph on the high way until I could disconnect the rear haldex can connection so i was only FWD.
So your front Power TakeOff unit failed, the part that includes the output shaft from the transmission case?

Why would that lock the rear wheels?, this rotates the driveshaft all the time. The haldex controls the Tq split.

·
Banned
6,935 Posts
No Idea why it was happening. at slow speeds it would actually cause the one rear wheel to move correct with the haldex plugged in and the other side rear would spin backwards.

Tech line had us first replace the haldex module which didn't fix it, then moved to a haldex assembly which didn't fix it, then to a complete rear diff which didn't fix it and finally they had us replace the front diff before the issue was resolved.

To this day I have no idea why it broke, just chewed itself apart.

It was literally blowing our minds that it was the front transfer case when we were having an issue in the rear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
so I assume when you change the rear diff fluid this needs to be done as well? wow, how much flusid does it take? I'm assuming you can use the same method as the rear with the brass pipe for the filler hole, clear tube and autozone pump? :confused: definitely news to me

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.