VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Jetta 2.0L 5 speed. So this happened to me again, after the first time I topped of the transmission fluid and after a few times out it seemed to work well. Here's what goes on. I backed out of my driveway both times, turning the wheel clockwise. When i stop and try to shift into first my transmission was stuck in reverse gear about half way out. Eventually i fought it, literally, i know what a cold transmission feels like but this actually took some force to get it into first and when i did to pull into my driveway it stalled out on me about half way up the driveway. This is the second transmission in this car, and i have no idea of the origin or mileage on this transmission. after just sitting in my driveway working it around a bit i could get first second, third sometimes, fourth and fifth sometimes. Don't know if it is the reverse throwing everything off or what. My dad thinks its the gear selectors, anyone know whats up? I would hate to think new tranny is my only option.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Re: Tranny sticks in reverse, and randomly missing gears. Help needed! (RedJetta97)

You need to replace the bushings in the shift linkage, and the gear shift lever, then adjust the gear shift linkage, and check the gear oil level. A set of bushings, and the linkage adjustment tool will cost you less than $50 with shipping.
Did you fill with conventional or synthetic gear oil, and what weight?

·
Registered
7 Posts
RedJetta97's Dad. The gearbox (020 - 9A replacing the AMC original) gets "stuck" in reverse. Disconnecting the linkage, the trans yoke selector can be moved to the right (away from engine) but not left or out (towards firewall). I got it free by starting the car and moving in reverse. This freed the jam and now have all gears.
The linkage doesn't have much play (some new parts were previously installed (long rod and short rod). Have the linkage adjustment tool and was used. The "ball" is always a ?. Redline MT-90 75W90 synthetic used for top-off.
Can the linkage be the cause of the jamming?

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Re: (White98_1.8t)

The long and short rods do not wear out. The ball ends may break and that can cause a problem, but otherwise, the bushings, and the ball on the shift lever are much more likely to cause problems.
Using the alignment tools without replacing worn ot worn-out bushings is a waste of time, because you can have so much slop in the linkage that the linkage can be positioned anywhere, with the alignment tool in place.
You really need to replace the wear parts in the shift linkage and the gear shift before using the alignment tool does any good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts