VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm a new user but old vw fanatic.
i just swapped the engine in an 89 jetta and am having problems getting the transmission to work after its bolted to the engine. how critical is using a clutch alignment tool? Have any of you had this problem before.
The clutch lever has no tension on it once the engine is bolted tight also the engine cant be turned over by hand once th trans is bolted tight.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: trans alignment (rknail)

Doesn't sound like the clutch alignment. You'd have trouble even getting the tranny to mate up if your clutch wasn't aligned, since it wouldn't go onto the input shaft. Did you install the Release Plate according to Bentley? That's what pushes against the rod extending from the throwout bearing assy. The clutch will recenter by the activation of the lever once it's all bolted together anyway.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: trans alignment (negativl)

i followed the manual and since i was removing everything from the old engine and reinstalling on to the new engine it was basically just the opposite of how it came off. I had problems getting the engine and trans to push together all the way without using the bolts to pull them together, i've had the trans back out twice and double checked everything, the only thing wrong was getting the alignment tabs on the flywheel to line up with the pressure palte but they seem to okay now.
any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

When you say the lever has no tension, how high are you lifting it? It should have a bunch of slack, then get firm towards the top. If there's still room there, you may just need to pull harder (the cable pulls a lot harder than your hand will) to reach the point of getting the clutch disengaged so it can center on the spline.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: trans alignment (negativl)

it lifts all the way up with no tension, i'm pretty sure something is binding.
if i try to turn the engine over with a wrench on the camshaft it wont budge unless i loosen the trans bolts which pushes the trans away from the engine immediately as if the input shaft is being pushed by the clutch or pressure plate.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

if you are trying to move the clutch lever with your hand, it will move easily until it gets parallel with the ground, and then you will NOT be able to move it unless it's with the pedal. this is normal.
clutch alignment is not critical, i've pulled trans's about six or so times and always used my finger to line it up. also, it's a bad idea to turn the engine over using the camshaft. it puts too much tension on the timing belt.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: trans alignment (rocco2nr)

so i may not have had a problem?
i never put the car down on the ground, in fact i never bolted the front wheels back on. What causes the lever to have tension when the car is put down?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.