VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew out my 2nd gear in my 98 jetta 2.0 5spd a few days ago. I took it into the dealership today, hoping to get the 10 year/100,000 powertrain warranty. They voided my warranty due to my neuspeed short shifter. Has anyone else had any problems with their 5 speed trannies? Can I somehow try to get the warranty, because I have no money and they want 2,500 for a new tranny. If not, where can i find a rebuilt 16v tranny for pretty cheap? Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (xtremeyolks)

Did they explain how the shifter caused the problem? Is the short shifter even the cause of the problem? If it caused the problem kiss your warrenty good byehttp://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif ...did you install it yourself or have a shop do it? I've never heard of a short shifter knocking out a tranny.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (TooLFan46n2)

They didn't explain how the short shifter caused the problem. My father and I installed the short shifter ourselves. I don't think the short shifter is the cause of the problem, but the vw service guy says just because it's on there it will void the warranty.

·
Registered
37,355 Posts

Never take in your car for warranty service with visible mods on the car. They will always so too bad to you.
You can get a rebuilt 16v with the bolt kit for much less than $2,500. I got mine from http://www.kraftswerk.com and installed at VW Specialties for $950. Also you will want to make sure that they use your 5th gear or you will lose top end and get so so gase mileage on the freeway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (Verruckt)

according to the law, they've to Prove that your short shift is causing the problem, or else they can't just void your warranty.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (aak97)

My tranny blew with a short shift installed and they had no problem with the warranty. They need to prove that the short-shift is the cause of the problem.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (A3Jetta)

yes by law they have to proove that the short shifter caused the error, BUT, what are you going to do about it?
You can either take them to court, probably small claims, and take off of work, and represent yourself in small claims. All you have to do is bring up the "MagnusonvsMoss" warentee act(spelling?), and the burden of proof is on thier hands. NOT VERY PRACTICLE!!
i sujest calling your regional volkswagen rep, and explaining the deal to him politley. they are pretty good about solving this crap from what ive HEARD.
if you end up screwed, http://www.bsiracing.com can build you a stock tranny for 485$. Add a quafie inside for 850$.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,427 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (speed51133)

Make a scene on the sales floor. Ask to talk to the regional manager. Remind them that what they are doing is illegal.
When you say, 'Blew out 2nd gear', do you mean the dog engagement teeth (the ones that grind when you mis-shift), or did you clean off the 2nd gearset on both the main and intermediate shaft? I does make a difference, as the actual gearset is totally unaffected by the length/type of shifter.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (Surf Green)

Your other option is to return it to stock and try a different dealer..

Otherwise listen to Surf.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (Surf Green)

quote:[HR][/HR]Make a scene on the sales floor. Ask to talk to the regional manager. Remind them that what they are doing is illegal.
When you say, 'Blew out 2nd gear', do you mean the dog engagement teeth (the ones that grind when you mis-shift), or did you clean off the 2nd gearset on both the main and intermediate shaft? I does make a difference, as the actual gearset is totally unaffected by the length/type of shifter.[HR][/HR]​
it is not quite illegal. they can deny service if the shifter caused the damage. they dont have to prove it to you RIGHT THERE on the floor, but in a court of law. We are assuming that the damage was caused by something else, but it is possibe it was the shifter. There is no dog engagment inside a VW tranny. But the shor shift can make it easier to wear out a synchro. Since the shift if shorter, you can "jam" it into gear easily with force, which really cuts down the life of your synchros. I'm not siding with the dealer, just saying its not quite "cry about it" and you'll get it type of deal. I would really just ask calmly for the number of the reagonal rep from VW, NOT the DEALER rep!! And tell him. If thats a stone wall, try a different VW dealer in your area. If thats a dead end, you are screwed, short of small claims court.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Transmission blown.....voided warranty. I need help! (speed51133)

Thanks a lot to everyone that responded. My dad called the wv of america representative and explained everything to him. Now we're just waiting for a call back from them. I actually don't know if it is the dog engagement teeth or what not. The dealership didn't take my transmission apart at all. I guess they immediately knew that my 2nd gear was blown because you can't even get it into 2nd gear at all and while coasting, or decelerating in a gear it makes a grinding noise, sometimes loud and sometimes faint.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts

Thats BS the dealer has to prove that the short shifter caused the tranny to fail.. I would go back and bring a lawyer.. or the threat of one anyway. I belw my 1st, and 2nd gear syncros and the dealer said all the work was covered, even with my shortshift, and all the other modds in the car.. He also said he would ignor the bottle in the trunk.. hehehe... but from what i understand is that the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Sraight up that sucks but you REALLY should have thought that one threw before you broght the car to the dealership. I mean we all know how pickey the dealership is about warranty work and you leave a part that can be both easily removed and easily blaimed for F-ing up your tranny.
Sorry to say but I think your screwed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts