VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help!
I have a 2.0 with a cable lever on the transmission that seems to sag after a few shifts. In otherwords, it drops down. With my hand I can move the lever up and down about 1 inch. After a few pumps, it seems to come up to it's resting position. Do I need to adjust the clutch cable? Does the tranny need more oil? Is the clutch cable permanently damaged? What could I do?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: Transmission Cable Problems (LEODVR6)

The clutch cables on the mkiii's are self-adjusting, and can eventually just wear out. Which, is what my guess is happening here. You have two options, look at replacing it with another North American clutch cable. Or, look into a manual cable which you'll be able to adjust yourself (european unit.. can be bought at RPI, Virtual World parts, etc). One side note, you'll get longer clutch life w/ the manual cable which is properly adjusted.

·
Registered
24,971 Posts
Re: Transmission Cable Problems (ramylson)

Quote, originally posted by ramylson »
The clutch cables on the mkiii's are self-adjusting, and can eventually just wear out. Which, is what my guess is happening here. You have two options, look at replacing it with another North American clutch cable. Or, look into a manual cable which you'll be able to adjust yourself (european unit.. can be bought at RPI, Virtual World parts, etc). One side note, you'll get longer clutch life w/ the manual cable which is properly adjusted.

Amen. I've heard of a number of the self-adjusting cables wear out or go bad. Never the regular manual cable. Go figure.
Plus, the manual cable is cheaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts