VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I keep on getting the below "Transmission Error" message from time to time in my Mk7. Sometimes while driving or right after take off. The message disappears by its own, or if I put the car back into P, or if I restart the car. I read on another thread/forum that this does not leave a trace in the log and hence, the root cause is hard to identify when taking the car back to the dealer. Anyone else who experienced this and found a solution?

·
Registered
130 Posts
From someone who works at the dealership. Take it in, if nothing can be found, at least it’s documented. From personal experience, the dsg and transmission control module is advanced enough to self adjust under certain conditions. If you have an actual fault in your MFI, it’s probably significant.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From someone who works at the dealership. Take it in, if nothing can be found, at least it’s documented. From personal experience, the dsg and transmission control module is advanced enough to self adjust under certain conditions. If you have an actual fault in your MFI, it’s probably significant.
Thanks for the feedback. One advice I read was to drive directly to the dealership once the error message appears and have it diagnosed right away. If this happens in the morning I might actually do that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The general rule with newer cars is when you get random error messages, and the car itself isn't acting up, its typically a battery thats on its way out.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the error message again today but it was at 5pm :mad:

Waiting for it to happen in the morning so that I can drive straight to the dealer :banghead:

·
Registered
543 Posts
The general rule with newer cars is when you get random error messages, and the car itself isn't acting up, its typically a battery thats on its way out.
+1 This happened to my car with my car when it was only 2 years old. I changed the battery, and it hasn't had a freak out since

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Do not wait. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Got the error message again today but it was at 5pm :mad:

Waiting for it to happen in the morning so that I can drive straight to the dealer :banghead:
I got 3 of these messages ... Saturday night.
Oh wait... dealership don't open on Saturday nights.
Frustrated.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe 5pm is the critical threshold for this message :)

Got it again, this time it was more persistent though. I came to a stop at my house, put the transmission into P, the message was gone. Then put it into D, message is there again, put it back to P, message gone. I shot a video of the whole thing to show it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
+1 This happened to my car with my car when it was only 2 years old. I changed the battery, and it hasn't had a freak out since
Regarding the battery, I will have it checked. On the other hand, I did my own check and read 12.65 Volts. My wife's Tiguan has a newer battery and hers is at 12.65 Volts as well. Anyway, I will have it checked as well. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
This could be related to a faulty shifter mechanism. I've seen a handful of cases with sporadic warnings like this (though they usually pop up for a split second and go away). Definitely bring it to the dealer, but it may not be as grave as it seems. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had this issue in my 2015 Golf at around the same mileage as yours. Took it in to the dealer at the next oil change and they replaced the shifter. Haven't had the issue since.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback. I took the car this morning to the dealer and was told that it is most likely a faulty shifter. They could not finish the job today and I will get the car most likely tomorrow. I will post an update when I get the car back.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the late update:

It turns out that my car's selector lever assembly had to be replaced. It was covered all under warranty. I'll keep monitoring this and keep my fingers crossed that the error message does not appear again.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sorry for the late update:

It turns out that my car's selector lever assembly had to be replaced. It was covered all under warranty. I'll keep monitoring this and keep my fingers crossed that the error message does not appear again.
Did your service advisor required any proof or was able to capture the error code?
Mine required the latter or else VW wouldn't signoff on the repairs.

That's what he said but I know others have had the shift linkage repaired without the 3rd degree.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
My wife had this issue on her '16 Golf (with about 18k miles). The dealership said that they "couldn't find any codes" despite what I told them that I found stored via VagCom.

It took them a couple of days to replicate the issue but once they were finally able to, VW signed off on replacing the whole gear selector assembly. The service advisor said it was becoming a common issue but a TSB had not been announced.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts