VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
as per my other post, i got the oil drain plug and the tranny drain plug mixed up!
so i now need to refill the transmission fluid. the car is a manual golf v6 4motion.
i peered into the engine bay but couldnt located the filler plug - any tips on where it is? do i need to jack it up to find it from underneath?
also how much fluid is needed, is overfilling dangerous and do i need a new filler plug once im done or is the old one ok still?
i would be extremely grateful for any advice, picture or guides as my car isnt going anywhere until this is done!

·
Registered
9,035 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (PhReE)

THanks for the links!
Does anyone know where to source the tool used to remove the plugs? The plugs on my tranny appear to be "VW Crazy Tamper Proof" Let me know .. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (BigBlockBug)

didnt you do that to your tranny like 2 months ago? have you been driving around with no fluid since then? if so um...id be looking for a new tranny not a drain plug tool.

·
Banned
2,932 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (BigBlockBug)

Quote, originally posted by BigBlockBug »
its official name is a 17 point triple square tamper proof socket.

Damn Germans!!!

Anyone have any idea why they make it so damn hard to do something like change the tranny fluid?!?

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (jeremyc74)

um because technically YOUR not supposed to change the fluid. VW puts fully synthetic tranny fluid in there and in the service manual/onwers manual it specifically says its a lifetime fluid. so they put funny plungs in the tranny so your common person wouldnt be inclide to "accidentally" remove the tranny fluid instead of the engine oil. of course you dont have to not change it but you have to buy the specail tool to be able to, and even then they dont recommend it cause you need a vagcom to be able to read tranny fluid levels...most people dont have one of those.
so as you can see its fairly easy to mess something up so they'd rather put a goofy plug so 99.999% of people are steered away from touching anything

·
Banned
2,932 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (2002gtibluvr6)

Someone is going to have to explain to me the purpose of having the computer monitor the tranny fluid level, because I'm doubting it does.
First of all, if they go to all the trouble to call it a lifetime fluid, that would imply that you never need to add any, so why put a sensor in there to monitor it.
The second thing is, anyone with any experiance with things like this knows that the likelyhood of the transmission fluid never needing a top off over the useful life of a vehicle is pretty damn slim.
My thought is that they put this oddball plug in there so you go pay the dealer instead of having any shop on the corner check it. Things like that are exactly why this will be my last VW. Another good example is the $500+ cost for the $40k mile service, which is an oil change, new plugs and a bunch of checks.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (jeremyc74)

You only need a vag com for AUTOmatic tranny's and it's not to monitor the level. but the temperature. The auto trannys must be filled with fluid at a certain temperature so that the proper amount will be in there when it is as operating tmep.
With our trannys all you need to do is empty it and fill it (all the way) back up.

·
Banned
2,932 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change - help needed (PhReE)

Quote, originally posted by PhReE »
You only need a vag com for AUTOmatic tranny's and it's not to monitor the level. but the temperature. The auto trannys must be filled with fluid at a certain temperature so that the proper amount will be in there when it is as operating tmep.
With our trannys all you need to do is empty it and fill it (all the way) back up.

Makes sense to me. Anyone remember when you could just drive an auto for a while then check the fluid?

·
Banned
2,932 Posts
Re: (v6Nerd)

Quote, originally posted by v6Nerd »
i got it done at VW in the end. they said they fill manuals using VAG COM as well as automatics, and to do it manually will destroy the tranny...

They try to make things out to be harder than they are. They told me you can't change the battery in this car without hooking it up to a computer. I'm not sure I buy that one either.

Modified by jeremyc74 at 3:02 PM 8-23-2005

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: (v6Nerd)

[cough]Bull **** [/cough]
I have been thru every data point on my vag-com setup and can only find a ref to transmission temp.
Nothing about transmission oil level.
If anyone knows diferent then please post here so I can eat my own words

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Re: (magman)

the rosstech vagcom tool isnt a full vag tool. yes it has like 750 check points and so on, but its not the full VW version. there is a REASON their tool costs 10k$ not 250$
to do a PROPER oil change in the tranny, you have to manually fill it to with a certain amount of fluid, then run the car up to a certain temp. once the tranny fluid reaches that target temp there IS a sensor that can read fluid level.
ive gone to 3 different VW dealerships and asked to have my tranny fluid changed just for the hell of it. all 3 told me "its a lifetime fluid VW doesnt recommend changing it AT ALL" and therefore they wont even offer you that service. some people have had luck with getting a dealership to change it but those dealers are few and far between.
and if you really think that the proper fluid level of tranny fluid is to fill it up til there is no possible way to put more in there your 100% incorrect. fluids expand and contract at different temps, a hot fluid will almost always take up more volume then a cold fluid, you also need room for fluid to circulate and its much easier to circulate a fluid in a close system if there is still air in the system...its not much air but there is still room in a tranny that is "full" of fluid.
ive seen 4 different O2M's out of cars, and EVERY single one of them if you move it you can hear fluid sloshing around meaning its not 100% full to the max, and thats the proper way.
also if you look in your owners manual...at least in mine under the fluid levels and capacities, under manual transmission fluid it doesnt have a capacity number in litres or what have you, it says "life time fluid" no change recommended.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: (2002gtibluvr6)

I think he meant fill it to the bottom of the fill plug hole, just like most all diffs, T cases, manual trans. Thats all I did, i got out drove it got it nice and hot, came back racked it, and removed the plug and let the slight overflow from the now expanded hot fluid out, never had a problem or ground gear since

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: (Jhovasnoop)

Quote, originally posted by Banditt007 »
I also beleive lifetime in fine print means 'during the duration of the warrentee period' and not the actual lifetime of the car

Yeah, probably.
Quote, originally posted by Jhovasnoop »
I've been running mine dry for 3,000. No problems yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.