VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was changing the transmission fluid in my car. it's a 1.8l, 8v. 91, GTI.
first odd encounter, nothing really drained from the drain plug, the star bolt on the bottom. no continious streams or nothing. but i could get a steady stream from what i was told was the fill hole. 17mm cap looking bolt thing on the end, took of wheel to get to.
so i drained the old stuff out or what there was of it, left one side raised and lowered the other to get the downward motion to drain as much as i could, returned both sides to a level state and started to put the new stuff in and it seemed like it came right back out.
so we took the breather cap off the top of the tranny and started to pour it in from there but it still seemed to come out just as quick as it went in. i'm stuck! help!!! it didn't even take a liter, nadda!

Modified by pbundy at 6:19 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (pbundy)

ok....
there are 2 17mm hex head doo-dads on the tranny. one on the bottom of hte diff housing, one on the side of the tranny. drain out the one on the bottom, and you technically should fill till it pours out the one on the side, i prefer filling through the speedo hole.
now what breather hole are you talking about? i hope to god your not tlaking about the big plug on the bellhousing that you can turn off (usually) with your hand? if so you now need a new clutch.

·
Registered
39,340 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (rat_bike_madness)

you gotta take the speedo cable out to fill it... look in there and see if you can see the fluid level.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (The_Hamster)

no big plug, just a little plastic cap, located right behind the clutch cable i thought it was, maybe it's the speedo cable . . .
but then, if you fill till it comes out this side hex bolt, and it's already coming out, then it's already full? almost immediately after starting to put it in?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (VegasJetta)

Yeah it sounds like you took out the drain plug, the 17mm internal allen, out of the bottom of the tranny. The star shaped "thingie" is just another bolt into the housing, if i am following you. The fill hole is another 17mm internal allen on the side of the tranny case between the green endcap and the diff.
If you took off the green plug on the top of the tranny case and put fluid in there, then you just ruined your clutch. That is the flywheel inspection hole. You would have needed to remove the speedo cable, un bolt it, from the top of the case to have the correct opening to pour in the new fluid.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (grizzlyone)

yes, i didn't pour fluid down the flywheel inspection hole. i knew better.
but then wherever i did fill it from, once it comes out from the hole behind the wheel, then it'd be done? or should it fill till it comes out the second hole you're saying there is on the side of the tranny?

edit: ah, read some more. ok, i'm going to go look for this second hole. shoot . . . i just blew a liter of redline MT-90

Modified by pbundy at 6:34 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

is the fill plug the one behind the wheel? i just saw a similar, probably the same exact kind of thing, located at a lower position than this one, near the CV joint, is that the drain plug?

·
Registered
7,011 Posts

Yeah, the fill plug is behind the wheel. The drain plug will be lower than that, probably that other one you found. I forget exactly. When you go to fill it up its easier to fill it through the speedo cable hole until it comes out of the fill plug hole, thats how you know when you've put enough in.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (Jetta2dr)

What is the trans code and numbers on the bottom of the bellhousing?
Most likely, you have the newer trans that is filled when it starts to run out of the side 17mm plug, but if it is an older trans, that changes a bit.
The star shaped bolt you removed holds reverse gear shaft in the trans

Put that back in there

I would imagine it wouldn't drain none to well....even if there wasn't a reverse shaft blocking the hole, it would be a slow drain from that small hole

I'm still not sure where you poured the first liter in at yet

Follow the advice in the posts above, and drain it all out of the 17mm plug on the bottom of the diff housing, plug it back up, then remove the side 17mm plug (the one on the end of the trans behind the drivers wheel), and add fluid in until it starts to run out that hole. You can add it in through the speedo cable hole or that side plug.
*edit* -- ahhhh.....looking at the pics again....filled it right behind the clutch cable.....I bet you filled it through the breather vent tube
That'd be as slow going in as it would be draining from the reverse bolt hole

Broke

Modified by Broke at 10:37 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (Broke)

Here, I took some pics to help you locate the holes.....the red circles are the 17mm drain/fill plugs, the green circle is the reverse gear bolt I think you removed, blue is the timing check hole, and yellow is the speedo hole...
*edit* -- I added a white circle to the pic, which is the the breather vent tube for the trans, and where I think you filled it at. It would WORK, but it'd be slow....you won't damage anything from it.

Broke

Modified by Broke at 10:39 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

awesome! thanks for the photos, you got it all perfectly correct!
got it drained properly, and even after blowing a liter of reline, i still had enough to do it for me.
thanks a ton guys, you saved me. i was totally lost!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

Broke: awesome pic for all the diy'er out there...tha should be on the DIY sticky if it's not already. (10+ pages are kinda long to sift through)

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: transmission fluid change, please reply quick! stuck in the middle (Mars Noble)

Quote, originally posted by Mars Noble »
Broke: awesome pic for all the diy'er out there...tha should be on the DIY sticky if it's not already. (10+ pages are kinda long to sift through)

I'm not sure if it is in the FAQ or not....I don't think I've even looked in the MK2 FAQ yet.
If I see a post about trans and I think I can help, I usually will post and try to use pics, as it makes explaining things loads easier http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I've whored out those pics in a few places

Broke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts