VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...been visiting for a few years now, but this is my first post. I need some help figuring out what the best course of action is to fix the transmission in my '96 Jetta GL. Just over a year ago it started to "kick" out of reverse. I had it looked at by the dealership shop and the guys told me that the reverse gear was going. I didn't do anything about it at the time and now it basically doesn't do anything except grind. So the question is: Rebuild or buy rebuilt? Or new? I don't really know much about transmissions, and being a poor college student makes money tight. I'm just getting tired of having to push/pull my car backwards. It's just a stock 2.0 GL. If anyone's got some suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: Transmission Help (jjengel_99)

if it's just the reverse gear, you might be able to get just that gear replaced. That might not be possible, though, depending on where the fragments of the currently broken reverse gear are. They might have damaged other gears making it to where you'd have to rebuild the whole tranny. You might be able to just get a low mileage tranny out of a junkyard or in the classifieds, instead of rebuilding. It would probably be much cheaper also. It's not really the price of the rebuild that's expensive, it's the labor.. So it might be cheaper to just buy a used tranny.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Re: Transmission Help (jjengel_99)

i can find trannies for about 350-600$ price range. i have even swapped A2 trannies in for a cheaper stronger trannt, just make sure you get 100MM flanges with that oldre transmission and that you get a different clutch to fit that trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts