VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I tried searching for this stuff but the only thing I could come up with under transmission noise or related searches was for an automatic 06 Jetta, so please bear with me.
I just picked up my first MKII Golf and am ironing out the cars quirks to get a dependable daily driver. After rebuilding the brake system over the weekend I was driving it around the neighborhood to check my brake bleed and noticed an awful lot of gear noise. I say gear noise because the car doesn't make do it when revving the engine while stationary (and it does do it with the car rolling with the engine idling in neutral). It sounds almost like the RF noise you would get in a stereo with unshielded plug wires or a really bad ground, but it is much louder than that (plus the car doesn't have a radio
).
I'm going to change the oil in the trans tomorrow, providing there is some in there to change. Does any one else have any thoughts
Oh the car is a 89 Golf 8v with a 5 speed.

· Registered
12,078 Posts
Re: Transmission Noise. Inputs? (w00ht)

That's strange. Are you sure it isn't coming from your brake dust shields or something?
Transmissions generally make a light whining sound.

· Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Transmission Noise. Inputs? (GodSquadMandrake)

I'll look at the shields tomorrow as well. I just had the brakes all apart and nothing seemed to be out of sorts though. Its not the same pitch as when a ring and pinion begin to let go, it's also much louder than that. I know that sound all too well.

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: Transmission Noise. Inputs? (w00ht)

Quote, originally posted by w00ht »
I say gear noise because the car doesn't make do it when revving the engine while stationary (and it does do it with the car rolling with the engine idling in neutral). It sounds almost like the RF noise you would get in a stereo with unshielded plug

Wheel bearing.

· Registered
12,078 Posts
Re: Transmission Noise. Inputs? (PepeLuche)

Those shields bend really easily! Just taking off a wheel can make them do it.

· Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (White16VJettaGLI)

Thanks for the tips. I suppose I'll start with the shields and bearings, then do the oil in the trans for good measure. My title is on the way hopefully I'll be driving it soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.