VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I thought I would share this with you.

The credit for this goes to Justin Jorgenson from FB Atlas group.

I have a 2019 Atlas with torque converter noise and decided to address it the same way as some of the dealerships do.

Long story short, you need to install 3 rubber caps that cover the area around the torque converter.

Please check if they are already installed in your car as some models already have them on.

Tools and parts needed:
T25 and T45 bits to remove plastic bottom engine cover
rubber covers:
09P301160
09P301160A
09P301160B

Once you remove the plastic engine cover, you will see the transmission and 3 holes:

The rubber covers are labeled 1-3 and go into the holes accordingly to the reference number in the picture above.

They are different sizes so you won't be able to install them incorrectly.

Here is a picture with the covers on:

Videos:
before:

after:

Videos are not the greatest but if you listen carefully, you will hear the difference. You can barely hear anything with all windows up.

Does it fix the problem? No

Is it worth the ~$45? Yes

Does it make it more quiet? Yes

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally agree. Glad you were able to find them cheaper!

Reactions: bboshart

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,927 Posts
[mention]kocyk123 [/mention]thanks! Looks like this will be next on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kocyk123

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some newer models came with it from the factory but mine didn't so I assume 2018 and 2019 didn't for sure.

Reactions: Reihenmotor5

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They most likely did it for that reason. It doesn't fix the issue but it makes the issue more quiet... ;-)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I tried to remove some of the screws to get a look at mine. I was hoping to pull down the cover and peek inside, but no luck. Seems like the front of the cover is tucked into the bumper and needs to be slid rearward to remove it? I didn't get all the way underneath, how many screws are there and how easy is it to remove and then replace the plastic cover? I think that, having a 2019 SEL P with a super noisy transmission groan, it is safe to say mine doesn't have the plugs. For $17 I think I'll roll the dice. Just want to get an idea of how many screws we are talking about and how hard it is to do (especially without a lift or jackstands. I think we all know how challenging some plastic panels are to deal with in today's cars.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,927 Posts
Be good timing to do this along with an oil change. Wonder if the converter runs hotter with the covers installed.
Yea I told my friend about this and I said why would VW make inserts? His reply was why would VW have holes in the casing? Is it to dissipate heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it is the time to pull the OBD11 and do some trans temp testing.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
I tried to remove some of the screws to get a look at mine. I was hoping to pull down the cover and peek inside, but no luck. Seems like the front of the cover is tucked into the bumper and needs to be slid rearward to remove it? I didn't get all the way underneath, how many screws are there and how easy is it to remove and then replace the plastic cover? I think that, having a 2019 SEL P with a super noisy transmission groan, it is safe to say mine doesn't have the plugs. For $17 I think I'll roll the dice. Just want to get an idea of how many screws we are talking about and how hard it is to do (especially without a lift or jackstands. I think we all know how challenging some plastic panels are to deal with in today's cars.
Removing the belly pan is covered in the oil change DIY thread in this forum. It can be done without jacking the car up.

·
Registered
Atlas Cross Sport R Line 2021.5
375 Posts
I am just curios it's only for 2018-2019 Atlas or 2020-2021 need this plugs too?
Can't see them for 2021 CS on ECS Tuning site

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Reactions: Reihenmotor5
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.