VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 Jetta at an auction. The car had a bad transmission in it (Code GNZ), so I bought a used one and had our mechanic put it in. I'm still having some issues though- wondering if I have transmission problems, shift computer problems, or something else. The 1-2 shift is a little rough, but I can live with it. The problem that really alarms me is in 4th though. The last two days when I've driven to wok, there's a hill in town I have to go down. Going down the hill, the car starts from the stoplight fine. But, when it gets to 4th gear, the RPMs shoot up to around 4000 and nothing is happening in the transmission- it acts like it's in neutral. If I go to Tiptronic mode and downshift to third, it drives fine. But, if I upshift in Tiptronic to fourth again, it'll act like it's in neutral. But, when I stop the car at the next stoplight, it goes back to normal???

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mechanic tried a TCM replacement. That fixed the rough shifting- it's smooth as butter now. But, after it's warmed up and you drop to 3rd gear or lower, it won't go into fourth or higher until it "resets" somehow. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Not sure about the 09A/09Gs , for the 01M you can reset the TCM with keys on, engine off, press and floor the gas throttle for about 5 to 10 sec, release paddle, immediately start the engine without touching anything...

There is the technical --> automatic transmission forum here you might try your search... and see....but anything else is a guess without you troubleshooting at the car...

you'll needed to find out if you have the 09A or 09G it's both tiptonic but different transmission I think....

I remember reading the 09A have the infamous solenoid problems ..... and few have the speed sensor problems (they do have speed sensors, but embedded inside the transmission), if you have that it's a full rebuild to access it......

good luck in your search...

https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?574-Automatic-Transmission-Forum

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'll post there then. The mechanic did get the infamous 00652 code though. My problem seems weird compared to the other users, though
I am pretty sure you know this... that code indicates high chance it's sensor issue along with your description... if it is ... and you are not doing the work yourself... it's going to cost you... for the 09A/09G what nots those sensors are INSIDE the transmission I think.... different from the 01M which is external like mine... If you or your mechanic have VCDS, he/she could test everything of that transmission I think... for mine, I can test everything except the G38 Speed sensor, there is just no function to test it.... 09A/09G might be different, ask him/her to look into that .lbl file... or get another mechanic...... sorry I don't have 09A or G so ... hope some expert can chime in...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00652

00652 - Gear Monitoring: Implausible Signal
Possible Causes

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Level not OK
Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68) dirty/faulty
Impulse Wheel dirty or Installation faulty
Gearbox Speed Sensor (G38) dirty/faulty
Impulse Wheel dirty or Installation faulty
Multi-Function Switch (F125) faulty (but not detected)
Clutch or Valve Body faulty
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Pump faulty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.