VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is my first time doing a write up so bear with me ill try my best.. this is a how to for a Mk4 fwd golf gti jetta for a 1.8t it should be the same for the most part.
OK first start by pulling the battery and the tray. If you have the stock airbox your gonna want to remove this as well. Ok next youll want to remove the shift bracket and linkage cables. start by romoving the cable from the bracket by unding the little clips that slide onto the end of the post that they are attatched to. **NOTE** earlier cars may have the pressed on pall style which is a pain in the ass for those cars youll wanna grab a 13mm socket and jam the wrench between the cable end and the bracket and pry it off. this is not easy so dont give up!!!next pull the silver weighted braket sitting on top of the transmission. there is a nut that holds it on located in the center of the bracket. next grab some WD40 and spray it on the splined shaft so its easier to pull of. AFter a few minutes pull up the braket by wiggling and pulling up. now you wanna pull the 3 bolts holding the braket for the shift cable to the tranny and lift off the whole assembly up and tie it to smething up high. ALso pull the slave cylider for the clutch out it held in by 2 bolts and has a wiggly looking brake line coming off of it pull this out of the way as well. there is a black metal arm going from the tranny to the tranmission mount under this and but it aside. now we are gonna pull the starter under the bolt for the positive cable to starter and then pull the bolt holding the starter to the tranny. unclip the connector and pull the wiring out of the plastic bracket and remove the bracket. then remove the other bolt and remove the starter. remove the connector at the back of the starter and put the starter aside. there are two sensors on the tranny that you need to remove one right by the start and one in the back cover by a little silver bag. now loosed up the lugs on the drivers side front wheel and jack the car up. remove the tire and remove the inner fender liner with a torx bit. there is another plastic piece that is attatched to the bottom of the frame rail. to remove this youll need to remove the plastic guard that you remove to change your oil. one that off remove that plastic piece by pulling down on it and getting a srewdriver in between to pull it off. Now you have a clear view of the tranny. get set by putting a jack under the tranny cause we are gone be removing the mounts. start by removing the dogbone and then the drivers side tranny mount. this one is fun remove the two large bolts from above. they arr right by where the airbox is located and they are big 18mm i belive. now from below youll see a bolt on the end of the trans that connect it to the mount pull this bolt. now slowly lower the tranny and motor down until you can gain acces to the other two bolts right next to it . at this point the jack is the only thing holding up the motor/tranny so be careful!!!. now get a helper to step on the brakes and lossen the bolts holding the cv to the tranny this is a m12 12 point bolt. remove all 6 and pull the axle out of the out put flange. roll under the car and remove the heat shield cover the pass. side cv and pull the bolts on that side. THAT WAS THE EASY PART. now starting on the top remove the bolts that connect the tranny bellhousing to the engin there are 2 on top and 3 on the bottom. get a jack under the motor cause the arent gonna be connected for long!! Now here is the secret to easily removing the trans. regardless of what you way have heard this is BY FAR the easiest way. pull the sub frame. it is held in by 4 large bolts to at the very back of the subframe and 2 by the rear busing of the lower control are they are kinda hidden in a recess but youll see them. once these are loose you way notice that the frame wont come down that cause the sterring rack is bolted to this with 4 smaller bolts youll see them 2 on both side of the frame. once these are remove you can lower the fram down till its just hanging from the struts. At this point you should have no problem removing the tranny just wiggle it out and youll be fine. YOu will now be looking at the flyweel and clutch. BE advised if this is a 1.8t youll be faced with 16 bolts that are m5 12 point bolts they are small. the bit you need is not easily located and it can usually only be located by way of snap on, mac, etc. remove the pressure plate and disc. if your are just replacing the clutch check out the flyweel to make sure its not damged and start replacing parts. installation is the reverse of installation. this is a 1 person job with an occasional need for an assistant or 2. i recommend you have air with an impact and an air wrench also you need to have a full array of sockets and wrenches including extensions. This is a job for someone with at least an intermediate mechanical understanding. this is a 9 or 10 on the difficulty scale so if you can do this you can tackle any othe mechanical issue with your car. this was the first time i removed a front wheel drive tranny however ive remove and replaced trannys in numerous aircooled vws and in rear wheel drive cars ford chevy and porsche. this is now one of the easier but not as hard as a 911 so you can feel a little better. It took me 11 hours start to finsh with numerous breaks and even a fight in front of my house (long story but things got dealt wit) there are a few other write up but i hope this can supplement them. This should be used along with some kind of manual for torque specs and such. GOOD LUCK

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.