VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
My clutch just died on the way home from work today, looks like it is finally my time to have to drop my trans and replace the clutch. I thank you for this write up once again. I will need it for sure.

Bill

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bump to the top! Just emailed this link to my mechanic, I hope he doesn't take it as an insult :peace:

·
Registered
21 Posts
when bolting the transfer case back together is it supposed to be hard for them to mate or should it simply just slide together. because i don't want to force it and damage something. it slides together fine until it gets to the part where the o ring is is this normal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea it doesn't does that collar have to line up is there a way to turn it witout removing the transfer case because it fell off the tranny out put shaft and only would fit on one way. If I turn the part where the axle bolts up will that do it or so I nee to turn the output shaft on the tranny?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I figured it out haha. :) I had a stupid moment and didnt have the tranny in neutral haha. :screwy: that's what happens when you remove it and install it all by yourself. but I got it. awesome right up btw. helped a ton with removal. and also installing when I couldn't remember exactly which bolts went where.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Did the job today with the help of two of my friends. There is no way you could do this job alone. Thank you Pal and Don. It is tons of work, we took some pictures to fill in where some of the missing pictures would go. Without this guide I would never found that hidden 6mm Allen bolt.

Bill

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Did the job today with the help of two of my friends. There is no way you could do this job alone. Thank you Pal and Don. It is tons of work, we took some pictures to fill in where some of the missing pictures would go. Without this guide I would never found that hidden 6mm Allen bolt.

Bill
I did it by my self with like 4 jacks. haha a bit time consuming but i got it done. :laugh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks for this instructional. i kept this with me as i went from dealer to mechanic to mechanic showing them the alternative method of doing this swap.

finally got a custom shop that would be willing to give it a try. the results are awesome. the boys at Prestige Motorsports in Livonia, MI said the instructions were spot on, but they couldn't understand the timing. meaning, how the post mentions a rough time of 3 hours to get this done.

they did however, say this was much better than following the computer based system they had compared it to.

once again, thanks for this!! (and now my R will be roaring again in 464.7 miles :laugh:)

101 - 120 of 254 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.