VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Transmission swap (OttawaG60)

Well Mine is Messed up so I'm looking for a Tranny to swap with and if I'm doing that I might as well shoot for gold then

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: Transmission swap (PrupleGTI)

swapping your transmission is quite easy, have you considered doing it yourself (with a little help from your friends?)

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Transmission swap (OttawaG60)

I'd make the attempt but I have a couple of issues
1. No Space I live in a triplex and the parking is tight buying a house soon but right now I don't even clean the car in my driveway
2. this is my daily driver I'm buying a second car right after i get a house Again no space for a second car
3. I'm just not that mechanically inclined I get the willies changing my own plugs

·
Registered
131 Posts

When I had my Civic I did a tranny switch $800.
Now I have VR6 and need to do tranny switch and the only deent tranny I found is $1200 +300
if you have a 2.0l your lucky, good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Transmission swap (TeamHustler)

I can forward you a number I would trust 100% to do the swap..I wouldn't consider going anywhere else except to him. Let me know If you do, he's in Chingcousy (sp)

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Transmission swap (TeamHustler)

Well After calling about 100 shops between Friday and this morning I have found 0 5 speeds tranny's for my car in the GTA area. nobody seems to have one. the labour rate is pretty standard though $300 flat almost every shop charges that I'm gonna call Queensway WV just for a laugh. they'll probably laugh and say $6000.00 Now my next solution is to find a compatible tranny since I cannot find a matching one. Now I've done some searching on the Vortex and there are a few posts about swapping a TDI tranny I know the gear ratio is totally different and it is much quicker off the line compard to the 2.0L I'm just wondering if there would have to be any modds to make it fit?
does anyone know if this is possible??

·
Premium Member
35,022 Posts

go to the tech forum, those nerds know all this stuff

~spoonie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts