VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Re: tread life question... (NHkid91)

a little yes, with that kind of tire, the handling is already going to be questionable. This is a touring tire at its best.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: tread life question... (JDriver1.8t)

I'm not looking for super amazing handling, Mostly what is important to me is a decent speed rating with a decent amount of grip all while not wearing out too fast.
Would "Ultra High Performance All-seasons" be better or is that still questionable?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...dClar=

·
Registered
7,624 Posts

I have had the ASX in the past, and they were a good tire, but I only got about 30k out of them. With the touring all season, expect 45k or more (depending on age and non-driving wear).
They did handle substantially better than the all season Michelins they had replaced.
I have not use the Kuhmo platinum all season, so I can't comment to their abilities. Tire Rack will probably chime in shortly with better information.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: tread life question... (JDriver1.8t)

Hmmm, decisions

In that general price range its between the ASX and the Goodyear eagle.
I'm not even sure if its worth spending almost double the money for a W rated tire, Honestly is it that big of a deal going 160mph on a tire rated at 149mph on a closed road for way less than 1 hour?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

If you drive spirited around the curves, say 30-40 mph, you'll appreciate higher speed rated tires. If you typically drive the speed limit through the twisty stuff (on ramps), a touring tire will get the job done. If you drive a non performance oriented tire really aggressively, you'll just prematurely wear out the outside edges. That ASX is a much better handling (read responsive), tire than any of the touring tires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: tread life question... (geenogti)

I have Ecsta ASX (freshly put on by the dealer when I bought a used GLI). I dont like them. Theyre very poor in the cold, bad snow grip and they seem to harden up when its cold and lose a lot of grip if you accelerate hard even on perfectly clean pavement, ESP goes crazy with them. Im probably wearing them down prematurely because they spin so easy. I have no problems taking corners and going 100mph feels the same as 60.
I havent had the car long enough to know what theyre like on hot summer pavement, and I dont have other tires to compare, but Im not satisfied with them and am considering replacing them even though theyre only about 6 months old. The only thing bad about them seems to be the grip, they arent a very good "all weather" tire since they cant handle cold and wet well, Ive never used tires that stopped as badly in the snow as these do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: tread life question... (idividebyzero)

Is it honestly that bad still? Nights around here during this time of the year are averaging about 40 degrees... I can imagine them being hard if the car has been sitting but after a few minutes of hard driving do they grip nicer (in non-wet weather)?
What size wheels on the GLI?

·
Registered
52 Posts

17"
I would say anything around 45 and below is when they lose a lot of grip. They do grip better after driving a few miles but it just goes from bad to less bad. Theyre alright on warmer days but I think my car just has too much torque for these tires, havent gotten to use them on an 80+ day yet though.
People seem to like the Kumho SPT's, I would look into those instead of the ASX since the ASX isnt very useful in the winter anyways. If you need an all season tire then maybe the Platinums are better.

Modified by idividebyzero at 11:19 PM 4-18-2010

1 - 9 of 9 Posts